Ford Ranger Sales Doubled in Q2; Ford Second Quarter Total Pickup Sales Strongest In 15 Years

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You're 2000 too high for June. They sold 7384 which is actually down slightly from May.
If true, that's not good. Especially with the June incentive $3K-$5K+ off certain models.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Some seem to forget that Tacoma didn't get the #1 position until Ranger was taken off the market.
Well, the Ranger is back and once again it is a better product with a better name.
Left coast sales might stay with Tacoma,,,maybe
Let's see what 2021 sales look like.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If true, that's not good. Especially with the June incentive $3K-$5K+ off certain models.
It looks like everyone was down in June, and they all had incentives.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
We're well past the point of wondering whether the truck will stick around--you don't need to be #1 in sales in order to sell a product as every midsize but the tacoma has demonstrated. If Ford were really worried about their ability to sell these, they would have slowed down production (really easy to do) and there's no indication that they've done that. (Whether hours have been cut at the plant is much easier to figure out than what the exact production numbers are.) There's no way they finish this year with less than 50k sales, probably more like 70-75k, and that's plenty of customers looking for support. (More than Ranger average annual sales 2007-2011.)
And the amount of continued investment by Ford into the Ranger in that 2007-2011 time range? Zero. Sure - you can throttle production, but that's not good. Ford has a ton of investment in any product, the capital investment cost of the plant, the opportunity cost of building something else in that factory, the product development costs to bring it to market, and I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of at this point. When you scale back production by working 32 hours or whatnot, you're screwing yourself. I don't know the full details on the UAW contract, but my understanding if that if you send the guys home early, you still pay like 60% of their salary for the time they didn't work. You also have a facility that's idle for a ton of time. Which means you're not making money on that facility. Things like that lead to either the facility getting a new product (kinda like how the Ranger replaced the not-so-hot selling Focus) or getting shut down (kinda like Twin Cities when the Ranger exited the market).

Sure - that's not going to affect Ford's decision for MY19, or MY20. But it might have them pull the plug on the MY21 or 22 or whenever the new one is coming. More realistically, it might make them reconsider what is in scope for the new one... Perhaps they have to adjust their projections, and now all of a sudden a 2.7L Ecoboost doesn't make sense. Or a Sunroof... Or a Platinum trim. Or whatever bells and whistles that I would have otherwise been excited for, but due to slack sales, were cut from the program before it became common knowledge of what all the content is.

Which is why I am concerned about the success of the MY19 Ranger (and MY20, etc), even though I already have my MY19 and am happy with it. I want to be even happier with my MY24 Ranger because I'm not going to lie - there were quite a few compromises I made when I decided to get a Ranger over an F-150, and yes, I acknowledge that I made those compromises, but perhaps if the MY19/20 do well, then when I go to replace my current Ranger, I don't have to make as many compromises.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like everyone was down in June, and they all had incentives.
That's true. Even the Tacoma dropped to 20,476 in June.

Truckguy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger
what is so confusing? Ford did not start full production until what, February or March of 2019? They are months behind the other manufacturers who started full production at the end of 2018.

20K is a great number for the Ranger.

They will be market leader soon.

If GM was "not concerned". They sure as hell are now.

And I think I heard a "ruh oh" from toyota
Toyota just set a record for quarter sales and first half of the year sales for Tacoma.. not sure they are scared yet.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You're 2000 too high for June. They sold 7384 which is actually down slightly from May.
Oh geez, you are right - I will blame it on not having my morning coffee yet. :)

That is actually not great news that it is down from May.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
and least Ranger sales finally beat the Frontier by around 40 units. :)

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
In other news Fusion was up almost 25% from last year 2nd quarter and Fiesta was up almost 70%. Maybe they need to rethink their decision on getting rid of all passenger cars? I know it's too late for the Fiesta in North America, but they really need to hault their plans to axe the Fusion because some of these new "truck or CUV" ideas might not work out as planned.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wouldn't freak about about any Ranger sales figure yet. It takes time to ramp up sales. There are still a lot of us who have not seen [other] Rangers in the wild but that will change. The Ranger is a great 'little' truck and as more of them get on the road they'll start selling themselves to other potential users. I bet a year from now sales figures will show a significant increase in Ranger sales.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In other news Fusion was up almost 25% from last year 2nd quarter and Fiesta was up almost 70%. Maybe they need to rethink their decision on getting rid of all passenger cars? I know it's too late for the Fiesta in North America, but they really need to hault their plans to axe the Fusion because some of these new "truck or CUV" ideas might not work out as planned.
The Fusion is a decent for the buck. Especially with discounting.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I wouldn't freak about about any Ranger sales figure yet. It takes time to ramp up sales. There are still a lot of us who have not seen [other] Rangers in the wild but that will change. The Ranger is a great 'little' truck and as more of them get on the road they'll start selling themselves to other potential users. I bet a year from now sales figures will show a significant increase in Ranger sales.
Mine is my favorite vehicle I've ever gotten and I've had several over the years, but it is going up against tough competition particularly with Tacoma that people just expect to be satisfied with and do little cross shopping. I also wonder how many buyers are turned off by the 4 cylinder engine? Those of us that own a Ranger know it's a powerful little beast under the hood, but how many buyers don't trust the EcoBoost technology long term? There will eventually most likely be a V6, but all signs point to it being a 2.7 EcoBoost. Are there so many people out there that do not trust an EcoBoost long term that they need to also offer their NA 3.3L V6 to really get these things selling?

It's still a new model and will take time and cash on the hood to get it moving. It's not a good thing that June appears slightly down from May, but maybe increased marketing and promotion would help in the coming months.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Heh, I just shared this with the lady, who's really PO'd about Ford discontinuing her Focus. My main point there was that Focus sales were down by 38k, and Fusion/Fiesta were up a combined 20k. My guess is that there's a decent number of people who moved up/down a class size, but overall still, cars are down.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is my favorite vehicle I've ever gotten and I've had several over the years, but it is going up against tough competition particularly with Tacoma that people just expect to be satisfied with and do little cross shopping. I also wonder how many buyers are turned off by the 4 cylinder engine? Those of us that own a Ranger know it's a powerful little beast under the hood, but how many buyers don't trust the EcoBoost technology long term? There will eventually most likely be a V6, but all signs point to it being a 2.7 EcoBoost. Are there so many people out there that do not trust an EcoBoost long term that they need to also offer their NA 3.3L V6 to really get these things selling?

It's still a new model and will take time and cash on the hood to get it moving. It's not a good thing that June appears slightly down from May, but maybe increased marketing and promotion would help in the coming months.
That anti-turbo attitude will have to change when the next gen Tundra/Tacoma platform is rumored to be turbocharged.

The 2021 Toyota Tundra Pickup Is Spied Testing, and What's Going On Underneath?
Sponsored