QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my ongoing Overland build ... As you are probably aware there is no perfect build, I believe it's perfect if you know how you are going to use it and what you want to sacrifice. The hardest is to build something that would do it all.

My Limits are: I live in an apartment so have no storage or real workshop (limiting but doesn't stop me), the truck is my daily driver, currently I park in underground parking (height restrictions but can park on the street), I love having a truck to throw larger items in the truck bed.

What I want: A capable Offroad truck for overlanding and light to medium offroad adventures (not rock crawling), A quick camping setup and tear down (sleeping, packing, cooking), Sleeps min 2 ppl...plus dog and occasional 3 ppl, ample storage (not in the cab) the ability to haul lumber or random furniture occasionally (can rent a trailer).

Notes: Easier to build dedicated Overlander, Compromises must be made relating to how I want to use the truck bed...let's see what evolves:

Phase 1: Stock 2020 Ford Lariet FX4, Redarc tow controller and Tonneau Cover

IMG_2398.jpeg

Added a Red arc Tow Control and tested it out:
IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

Love it!! Installed it myself, works great!

Added a Tuxedo soft tonneau cover:
IMG_2423.jpeg

Now a stock Offroad shake down run... or 2 before Offroad mods. I believe this is important so you understand the stock capabilities, what may be lacking and you know / experience how the mods effect your truck:
IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

In stock for the truck was impressive, surprised the guys on how far it went. Main limiting factor was Tires and ground clearance. Next post I will be on Lift, Suspension and Tires...
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not sure if you already have tires and suspension on the way or not but I would recommend some Firestone Destination XT's(whatever size you prefer) and the Old Man EMU Lift from ARB. The Old Man EMU Lift is great for what you want to do and I found that the Firestone tires hold up extremely well both On and OffRoad!!

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I actually added suspension and tires awhile ago, I have just always meant to create a build thread and thought it would be good to start from the beginning. I also wanted to separate the posts into more bite sized chunks :)

Lift and tires: I wanted to get more clearance under the truck, better travel would be good as well. Of course I am working within a budget and suspension plus wheels and tires all at once are pricey. So I would say budget was my limiting factor here.

Clearance - The main factor for clearance is larger tires, step 1 would be 33" and for those to clear comfortably you would want to at least level the truck, 2 - 3" lift upfront and consider removing the front crash bar or getting an aftermarket one. Going to 35" and you need more suspension lift which means Upper control arms with a 4' lift min or long arm setup, both setups mean a step up in budget. You may also want to consider low gears although prob not necessary.

Suspension - Depends on budget and the type of driving / capability. I don't want to rock crawl but would like a medium sort of setup. Ideally the ability to get 33" tires on comfortably and would like increased travel. Some factors limiting travel is the front sway bar, upper control arms and then shocks.

Tires - Where I live there are a lot of rocks and mud. I don't mind road noise from mud terrain tires and have run them before so figured I would give it a shot. I wanted to spend more on tires and less on wheels as I figure tires are important and can make more of a difference to Offroad capability.

What I went with: I decided to go with Bilstein 6112 front coiler which is almost 2.5" shock body diameter as well as an adjustable 0 - 2.5" height. Really good value for money. I called bilstein directly to ask about height and they said that it would perform at the highest setting and that’s where they expect us to set it and where they test it. This and because it’s a linear style spring is why I went to the top setting. For the rear I went with Bilstein 5160 with remote reservoir, these are supposed to add 2" of travel in the rear over stock. I also went ahead with aftermarket crash bars.

Tires - I went with pro comp xtreme mt2 285/70/17, and for wheels: pro comp 69 series vintage, flat black, 17x9 -6 offset.

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

I am really happy with this setup, it soaked up the bump fairly well and clears the 33" tires with no issues. The mud terrains grip and go so am happy with their Offroad performance. On road, they are getting noisy so may get a hybrid / aggressive All terrain next.

Testing this setup:

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

After testing this setup, clearance is very similar to a stock 4 door jeep rubicon JK, my buddy has one so it's who I am wheeling with most often. I am happy with the clearance for a mid sort of setup, I am always impressed with what this truck is capable of. It lifts tires pretty easily and can get tippy depending on terrain. I have also dented the factory steps, I knew this would be the case. I also had the steering wheel jam quickly to one side Offroad, so will be getting a steering stabilizer asap...cause it hurt.

Next steps, Camping and sleeping.
After Testing, I want to get sway bar disconnects, upper control arms and rock sliders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Bed slide and mounting panels, Molly inspired.

I debated back and forth forever on whether or not to build a drawer system or just a bed slide. I never really came to a conclusion, instead I just started to build something knowing I may change it later as I figured out a final setup and my needs.

Bed slide build: I made the slide from 3/4" plywood some skateboard bearings and some 1" steel tubing. I also built it to come out easily incase I wanted it out, this affected a few decisions and if I remake it I know it doesn't need to come out ever.

IMG_2813.jpeg

IMG_2814.jpeg

Meanwhile, I wanted a Molly style mounting panel system but wanted to make it myself:

Inspiration
IMG_5581.JPG

Design
IMG_2883.jpeg
IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

Making it
IMG_2877.jpeg
64936665882__129CC5D1-8E7F-4A4D-A96D-E6678DF587F5.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

Fit
IMG_2891.jpeg

IMG_2892.jpeg

Finish:
IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

All together, slide and panels (after some use):
IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg

IMG_2937.jpeg

After Testing:

I love the slide, super useful. I love the mounting panels although need to work out my mounting system etc, for now I mainly use stretchy velcro straps while I figure out what I want to mount there. I have added a latch and locking pin to the slide and want to redo the side storage setup as they were never planned out and I haven't liked the way I did them, this is the 2nd time I have redone them.

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Next will be sleeping platform and camping setup V1...

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if you already have tires and suspension on the way or not but I would recommend some Firestone Destination XT's(whatever size you prefer) and the Old Man EMU Lift from ARB. The Old Man EMU Lift is great for what you want to do and I found that the Firestone tires hold up extremely well both On and OffRoad!!
Hi, yes I already did the tires and suspension. I did think about going with old man emu as well, I have had an old man emu setup on a jeep before and was happy with it but wanted to try something new this time. I do want to try a different tire after these ones wear down more. I am leaning on a hybrid stye, an aggressive all terrain vs mud terrain. One of my favourite all round tire has been the Wrangler DuraTrac's so far.

Sassysouthern

First Name
Maranda
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
So glad I found this thread. I just bought the 5160s but was hesitant to get the 6112s. I think this thread has sold me. I will be using my truck in similar conditions and have the same expectations as you so I think they will help.
Also have some camburg upper CA in the cart and have been eyeing some sway bar link disconnects.

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
So glad I found this thread. I just bought the 5160s but was hesitant to get the 6112s. I think this thread has sold me. I will be using my truck in similar conditions and have the same expectations as you so I think they will help.
Also have some camburg upper CA in the cart and have been eyeing some sway bar link disconnects.
glad it helped, I am very happy with the setup so far. Definitely get sway bar disconnects, I am constantly lifting tires and I think it would help with stability Offroad. Which ones did you find?
next month I get the coastal off road rock sliders, as you may see my steps are a bit bashed up so it’s time lol

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a sway bar in for 25000 miles. The truck drives just fine with no sway bar. Maybe try pulling your sway bar out and see if you need to spend the money on the quick disconnects.

Love the tray setup. Super slick.

OP
OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a sway bar in for 25000 miles. The truck drives just fine with no sway bar. Maybe try pulling your sway bar out and see if you need to spend the money on the quick disconnects.

Love the tray setup. Super slick.
ya would probably be fine. I wonder if over time would put extra stress on the other suspension components? I bought a jeep wrangler once and the sway bar connects were broken and it was really noticeably soft / floaty on road until I replaced it. From most feedback my guess is it's a viable option if you are being budget conscience and mainly piece of mind if you get the quick disconnects.
Thanks