2020 Ranger: Will it get the 2.7 V-6 Eco Boost?

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
"Expect any U.S. model of the little Raptor to be powered by Ford’s 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6, with outputs similar to the 335 horsepower and 380 lb-ft "

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a16740549/2019-ford-ranger-raptor-officially-unveiled-news/
Kinda a silly statement given 1) Ranger only comes as 2.3 4cyl currently, and 2) Raptor has to be better than #1.

Anyone should expect Raptor to be way better than non-Raptor model.

But why would Raptor be powered by the low-end v6. The F150 v6 would be the better choice. But then Ford runs the risk of "for that price I can just get a decent F150 with same v6, the best selling full-size".
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
No but go with 93.
So, this is another reason why competitor non turbo choices rule. With the price of high octane gas so ridiculous the cost diff still favors the lower powered non turbo'd vehicles. Whatever additional mpg's one gets from turbo you lose in cost of fuel !

This is not the 1st circus I have been to when buying vehicles or nit picking new models.

The current Ranger is neat, is good for me, I just don't see it as being fruitful for Ford. They stopped Ranger for a reason, now they want to revitalize Ranger and Bronco in the US? Seems dicey to me given the current US sales of Ranger.

It would really suck if as a owner of a 2019/20/21/22 Ranger Ford decides to kill it from US market, which will leave resale value in the shi-tter.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So, this is another reason why competitor non turbo choices rule. With the price of high octane gas so ridiculous the cost diff still favors the lower powered non turbo'd vehicles. Whatever additional mpg's one gets from turbo you lose in cost of fuel !

This is not the 1st circus I have been to when buying vehicles or not picking new models.

The current Ranger is neat, is good for me, I just don't see it as being fruitful for Ford. They stopped Ranger for a reason, now they want to revitalize Ranger and Bronco in the US? Seems dicey to me given the current US sales of Ranger.

It would really suck if as a owner of a 2019/20/21/22 Ranger Ford decides to kill it from US market, which will leave resale value in the shi-tter.
I left out the 'I'.
No but 'I' go with 93.
You can go 87 with no issues.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When Ford posts 2.3L eco boost power #'s, are those with 93 octane, or 87 octane gas?
87 - I use 87 all the time - no problems.

If you are seriously considering a Ranger and not trolling, I am serious - go test drive one - you will be surprised.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
I’d order a v6 as soon as they made it available. Especially since it has port and direct injection. They should have done that to the 2.3. Even better would be the 3.5. I know it’s a pipe dream but damn that would be awesome. I have had mine for 2 months now. If they said v6 next model year I would upgrade ASAP. I don’t usually use all that power but it’s nice to have from time to time.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Not even sure what this means. "Let them drive their v6's" ?? We are discussing the 2.3 vs 2.7v6 of FORD engines. If the v6 was a damn option I would buy that w/o question, and, if the v6 was an option Ford Ranger would not be behind Frontier sales, and the Frontier has shi-t for motor options.

The argument that "I have my Ranger, so who cares about sales #'s". Well, if you want resale value then the truck should be in good demand for years to come, which of course the Ranger is not, sales #'s tell us that. My Tacoma I sold, a 13yr old truck, I got back more than 50% of what I paid for it, including taxes and title. Resale value is a big metric for many buyers.
If you think nissan will outsell the ranger this year, you are delusional.

I dont care how large the nissan head start was.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
1) From a model year standpoint, it will actually be a 3-year run (2019, 2020, and 2021 on the current platform), though since the 2022s should hit lots in 2021, from a practical standpoint it'll be more like a 2 1/2 year run.
2) As has been repeatedly discussed on this site, the 2019 Ranger is not a truly new vehicle; it is an existing international vehicle that has been adapted to the US market. Thus a 2022 complete redesign would not end the 2-3 year model run, but a 10-year model run.
3) Yes, I expect the new Bronco platform to be better, but they don't build the Ranger on it yet because it is still under development. You can't build a truck on a platform that doesn't yet exist.
4) Why buy a 2019/2020 Ranger? Because it is a kick-ass vehicle that is available now! If we all wait until the end of 2021, we'll almost certainly be able to buy a better truck, but what do we do in the meantime? There is always a better option coming in the future, so if you're waiting for the best you'll never get there.
Actually the North American 2019 Ford Ranger is already on the “new” T6 platform. It’s a completely different frame and updated suspension components compared to what’s being built overseas. The Bronco is being built using this updated T6 platform. Now of course we are told in 2022 or 2023 there will be an all new Ranger, but it’ll still be riding on the same T6 platform. It will have all new sheet metal, a new interior and other improvements, but they aren’t switching platforms to something completely different.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I anticipated this type of reply.

The v6 is more powerful than the 4, yes?
I have a 4cyl turbo in my garage, it's not a Ranger though but has similar 4 banger turbo power #'s and weighs 300lbs less. I not that impressed, hence why I would buy the v6 if it were an option. I am sure many prospect Ranger buyers would buy the v6 if it were an option. Most here already own a Ranger, thus a 4 banger.

If the 2.7 v6 was available, I would buy the v6 option. I would take the 400lb-ft v6 option w/o regard to the wimpy 4cyl.

But I still don't really understand the question. 2020 Ranger does not appear to have a v6 option.

Ranger and Bronco will essentially be the same vehicle wearing different skin. When this happens the v6 in some fashion will be available. Apparently Ford will make another yearly run on the current platform, so nothing new for Ranger until year model 2021.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a31079/new-ford-bronco-ranger-details/
Just buy the Tacoma. It already has that powerful V6 that you want compared to the “wimpy” 4 cyl. in the Ranger. Why wait for the Ranger to be redesigned when there’s an all new Tacoma for 2020? I bet it’ll have a lot more power then the 2019 Tacoma as well.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Kinda a silly statement given 1) Ranger only comes as 2.3 4cyl currently, and 2) Raptor has to be better than #1.

Anyone should expect Raptor to be way better than non-Raptor model.

But why would Raptor be powered by the low-end v6. The F150 v6 would be the better choice. But then Ford runs the risk of "for that price I can just get a decent F150 with same v6, the best selling full-size".
By your argument about the Raptor needing to be better than a non-Raptor, why doesn't the TRD Pro Tacoma come with a better powertrain than its cheaper V6 models? It has the same torque-less 3.5L car engine as the cheaper models. Since you don't like the Ranger at all, which is obvious by your bashing here on this forum, you should come buy my TRD Pro Tacoma from me. You'll be more than happy with it's "big badass V6" engine instead of a "wimpy" 4 cylinder Ranger. I'd be more than thrilled to sell it to you while I wait for my Ranger to show up.