• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Help - Looking to buy 2023 Wildtrak 2.0

DudeWheresMyRanger?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorbike
Hey all.

I'll try keep everything brief.

I reside in Vietnam and am looking to buy a suitable dual cab pickup for the main purpose of family travels & occasional motorbike transport in the tub.

Only the 2.0 bi-turbo version is available here.

I've taken a look at one in person locally and like what I see.

I'd like to be made aware of any issues I could face once owning one. I made the mistake at looking some youtube videos and going to the comments sections where it just becomes a "oh this one is a ticking time bomb, get XYZ it's the far superior rig" thread.

Dealer support here seems top notch. As already said, the Ranger will be for mostly family travel, weekend getaways, sometimes 2-4k km tours. Roads are often twisty and mountainous here. Speed limits are generally 40-80km/h unless hitting the highway where it is 100km/h.

Towing anything isn't permitted either.

I'd like to think with the rangers 60% of pick up sales in Vietnam it is the right car to choose, although there are a few other options to look at.

The Hilux & Triton also seem suitable candidates, but I keep going back to the Wildtrak. I just think it will fit my family's needs perfectly as long as it's a reliable go to!

Off-road use will be kept to a minimum and really only gentle stuff. I ride dirtbikes to give me my offroad fix!

Any help/insights appreciated. I don't really want to spend weeks or months researching cars.

Thanks
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Hey all.

I'll try keep everything brief.

I reside in Vietnam and am looking to buy a suitable dual cab pickup for the main purpose of family travels & occasional motorbike transport in the tub.

Only the 2.0 bi-turbo version is available here.
Hi, as this is a US based forum it is aimed at their market (which the new ranger hasn't launched in yet).

I have a previous gen Raptor 2L Biturbo. The engine and transmission so far have been very reliable. The only real issue was the oil pump drive gear in the 10 speed transmission, which was fixed in 2019 by a design change. The new gen will obviously be unknown from a reliability perspective with all the new electronics. My advice, don't buy year 1, wait for a 2023 model and buy that.

OP
OP

DudeWheresMyRanger?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorbike
Hi, as this is a US based forum it is aimed at their market (which the new ranger hasn't launched in yet).

I have a previous gen Raptor 2L Biturbo. The engine and transmission so far have been very reliable. The only real issue was the oil pump drive gear in the 10 speed transmission, which was fixed in 2019 by a design change. The new gen will obviously be unknown from a reliability perspective with all the new electronics. My advice, don't buy year 1, wait for a 2023 model and buy that.
Thanks for the reply. The only problem is I havn't owned a car in 7 years and won't be waiting another year for a more proven model.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Thanks for the reply. The only problem is I havn't owned a car in 7 years and won't be waiting another year for a more proven model.
Then, all I can say is order it and enjoy it! I have no idea what Ford's dealer network is like to deal with in Vietnam, but surely if there is issues they will support their product.

OP
OP

DudeWheresMyRanger?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorbike
Then, all I can say is order it and enjoy it! I have no idea what Ford's dealer network is like to deal with in Vietnam, but surely if there is issues they will support their product.
As I understand, Ford Ranger accounts for 60% of pick-up sales here. Resale value is typically high.

Vehicles would typically be less pushed to their limits here I guess. There's no kind of towing permitted and speed limits are rather limited... Thinking 40-80k kms usually, and even then people will often drive more reserved due to all the motorcycle traffic on the road.

I've only been to the local dealership but it did seem rather modern. The wildtrak comes with a 3year/100k km warranty and after that labor is inexpensive.

I'm not sure I would surpass 20k/25k km per year.

Still, it's a tough decision at present
Sponsored