New owner observations

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages
Picked up my truck on Tuesday. My 1st drive around the parking lot & I went "Oh my God the mirrors are so big they create two huge blind spots". I'll get used to it but it was a shock. Being vertically challenged I find that it can be a little difficult swinging to pull into a parking spot. Also taking a sharp left turn at a Y intersection I was unable to see the granite curbstone I was passing by. More getting used to. After 20 years I guess I'm just to used to the smaller size of my 1999 Ranger.

Driving down the highway the throttle response brings a smile to my face. I do wish Ford had made the suspension a little tighter. The ride reminds me of the 1966 Caddy I bought when I got out of the army in 1972. I also prefer the greater storage space in back in my 1999 Xtra cab as those seats folded up out of the way.

My nitpicking aside I think I made a good choice in my Ranger & expect to happily drive it for many years to come.
Al
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I too remember being surprised by the mirrors at first. You’ll get used to them obviously. Pull a trailer and you’ll wish they were just a “little bit bigger”.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Maybe I'm in the minority but in my FX4 I think the front is perfect and the rear was too stiff. I swapped to a set of Fabtechs in the rear and it matches the front now. I couldn't think of wanting it stiffer. I love the way it rides.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a thread on here about tire pressure. It mentioned your tire pressure should match what the sticker says in the driver door jam.

The post went on to say Ford inflates the tires on purpose for shipping into the 45+ psi range. The dealership is supposed to reset the tire pressure as part of the delivery prep.

Once I deflated my tires to match my sticker, I had a whole new truck. It drove so much better. It handles and drives as I would expect it.

1D98CAB7-7687-4BD3-8C02-D51C871C57AC.jpeg

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I like them at 32. Sort of takes a little of the bounce out. What a great truck. Love it.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I'm going to tag along with initial impressions on this thread. My tires were set to 47 PSI and I deflated them to 30 PSI this AM. It's certainly smoother. It got me to think about off road and deflating tires. With my Jeep it was standard practice to deflate tires to <15 Lb's PSI when going offroad. Depending on your wheels and tires the PSI was lower or higher. I always carried a deflator and compressor to air down and up. I wont have a chance to drive off-road for several months so I cannot test the capabilities of TM, 4 lo and hi, rear lockers and impact of airing up and down.

So, why do I bring this up? I was looking at a video of two ladies testing the of-road capabilities on this site last night and they got stuck in sand. No trail friends, no shovel, no airing down, no tow strap, no recovery tracks, winch, no radio (Ham or CB), probably no safety or med equipment either. They were digging out with their hands until someone happened to mosey by and pull them out. They were fortunate and not prepared. Don't be them. Sometimes airing down is all you need to get unstuck. I'm refraining from using the adjectives to describe what they did.

I'm still learning the features. It's quieter, smoother, more comfortable and easier to drive than my ex-jeep. The 4 cyl, turbo is pretty darn nice. I know it won't be as capable but I won't be climbing rocks unless I mod the Ranger and that won't be for years.

Last edited:

mntbighker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
My truck was delivered with 45 psi. I'm actually not sure what "dealer prep" means. #eyeroll And they left a razor blade on my back seat.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
My air pressure monitor says 39 lbs recommended. Might be because I have the LT's.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
My truck was delivered with 45 psi. I'm actually not sure what "dealer prep" means. #eyeroll And they left a razor blade on my back seat.
A month or so ago someone posted the "dealer prep" checklist that the dealer is supposed to follow. Adjust tire pressure AND fill wind shield washer fluid are both on the list.

mransr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT Convertible
My windshield washer fluid was showing as low after I used it twice and my tires were at 45lbs....sigh...but I bought it on a Sunday so the "A-team" probably wasn't on duty.

Last edited:

mntbighker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
A month or so ago someone posted the "dealer prep" checklist that the dealer is supposed to follow. Adjust tire pressure AND fill wind shield washer fluid are both on the list.
Yeah, my salesman had to fill the washer fluid too.

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
I'll add my 2 cents here too. Dealers are eager to sell you a new truck but fall short on delivery. Had to wait 2 hours for them to do a state inspection, tires were still over inflated at 47 psi, and the windshield washer was empty. It was washed but wasn't vacuumed out. Couldn't put on the bed cover that was included because they didn't have an installation expert on hand. Bought the truck at noon and finally rolled out at 4.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Mine was delivered with 48 PSI all around, if it wasn't for setting up the ford link app at the dealership I would have drove it off the lot that way. Instead of the sales-clerk just saying 'sorry' we dropped the ball he went into spin [lie/stupid] mode and tried to claim the factory adjust them that high to compensate for our Illinois winter air loss. I totally shook my head at that point and proceeded to school this know-nothing. Needless to say after just signing off on a new $40k note I had to adjust my own pressure b/c it was 9pm and all the shop monkeys were gone. Lucky for me I had a digital gauge in my other vehicle. Wonder if the nuts are torqued for the spec of 100 ft/lbs... not.

Im new here and am excited about this forum and my purchase! Last truck I bought was 10 years ago, 2009 Ram 1500 crew 4x4 Big Horn HEMI. One of the best vehicles I ever owned and the longest, in fact my son turns 16 soon and is excited to get it. Its nearly mint with exception of cab corners that started rusting from inside out a year ago :(

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
My windshield washer fluid was showing as low after I used it twice and my tires were at 45lbs....sigh...but I bought it on a Sunday so the "A-team" probably wasn't on duty.
In my experience 'A' teams are extinct. no matter where I go I get vehicle back with dirty door handle, steering wheel and arm rest. I spenT quite some time managing a few Goodyear franchises in the late 80's-90's and we used to write up and fire tech's for not putting in a paper mat, plastic in seat and cover on steering wheel. Guys we had were so good that they would take a clean fender cover in to lay on arm rests...

THOSE DAYS OF GIVING A S**T ABOUT ONES' WORK ARE OVER.

Hairball

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab,302A,FX4 2016Mazda Miata(zoom-zoom) 2007Yamaha FZ1
Occupation
Covid-19 forced retirement
New guy here! Been thinking about a new ranger since I first heard they were coming back. My conundrum is all the reviews I've read or watched on boobtube said the ranger rode like a truck??? duh it is a truck. I test drove an XLT non fx4 crew cab today and I think it rode more like a 66 caddy as the o/p stated in the first post than truck like. I think my 2017 Escape titanium rides way more like a truck than the ranger does. I felt it wallowed over every bump and almost seemed like it was on the verge of being out of control. I know it was just a short test drive but I have to say my Escape feels much more stable and in control than the ranger did. Is it just me or am I missing something.
Sponsored