First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Well after much searching and deliberation I pulled the trigger on the OEM Ford Molded Splash Guards.
To someone with minimal mechanical aptitude and or experience they can be overwhelming, especially with the "piss poor" directions given.
Let me assure y'all, the hardest parts of installing these are getting over the fear of drilling into a brand new vehicle and making sure that the Splash Guards are tight against the body (not bodybuilder tight just held in position tight), a third hand, Friend/Significant Other, can be helpful but not entirely necessary.
Effort to do the actual drilling is almost nothing so don't go all Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on that drill.
The clips are the hardest part of the install, finesse and "semi The Rock strength" is necessary here, I used the flat side if a CLOSED pocket knife as a thumb-saver.
Whole install took 30 minutes at "Old Guy" pace so you Young Bucks can do it as fast or faster, just keep your testosterone in check...
20190617_102810.jpg
20190617_102800.jpg
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Well after much searching and deliberation I pulled the trigger on the OEM Ford Molded Splash Guards.
To someone with minimal mechanical aptitude and or experience they can be overwhelming, especially with the "piss poor" directions given.
Let me assure y'all, the hardest parts of installing these are getting over the fear of drilling into a brand new vehicle and making sure that the Splash Guards are tight against the body (not bodybuilder tight just held in position tight), a third hand, Friend/Significant Other, can be helpful but not entirely necessary.
Effort to do the actual drilling is almost nothing so don't go all Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on that drill.
The clips are the hardest part of the install, finesse and "semi The Rock strength" is necessary here, I used the flat side if a CLOSED pocket knife as a thumb-saver.
Whole install took 30 minutes at "Old Guy" pace so you Young Bucks can do it as fast or faster, just keep your testosterone in check...
20190617_102810.jpg
20190617_102800.jpg
Yup, That about describes my experieince as well! I would suggest that the best sequence to do the install is to attach the Clips First, which holds the Splash Guards in place while you drill the holes for the new screws. Then install the screws until snug. It's going into the plastic wheel arch trim so no need for over torqueing them!

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I realize most of this thread discussion is with the plastic molded splash guards, but here's another Ford alternative if anyone wants to see how they look. These are the "Premium Flat w/o Bright Accent" splash guards. They are nice heavy rubber and have the Ford Logo stamped/molded on them.

Front part number is: KB3Z16A550J ($60 at local dealership with Ford Employee discount)
Rear part number is: CL3Z16A550S ($73, same as above)

These are more of a 'universal' type flap. The fronts are cut to fit the wheel well in the Ranger, but the rears are pretty much a generic universal - in fact the instructions (which were more or less worthless) had different sections to install them on various generations of F150s and Super-Duties in addition to the Ranger. Installation was pretty straight forward, and the flaps included all the hardware needed for install . Overall I'm pretty satisfied with them and think they look good.

IMG_20190703_1149491.jpg
IMG_20190708_1750003.jpg
IMG_20190708_1811097.jpg
IMG_20190708_1811218.jpg

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
For those cautious about drilling into their painted wheel arches, you might consider they're going to get thrashed anyway if you drive on dirt or gravel without splash guards.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Plastic will crack a lot faster in cold weather.

It's a good choice for those who live in tropical places...I presume.
I have never had a Ford splash guard crack and I have bought them for decades.
Of course I live in tropical Chicagoland where it seldom gets more than 20° below zero. Fahrenheit.

David Schuster

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4; 1969 Torino GT
Picked up a set at a dealer that had them in stock. As others have noted, the directions look pi**poor. As far as drilling the wheel arches, is wheel/tire removal required to get a good angle? Maybe a 90 deg drive drill? Thanks...

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Picked up a set at a dealer that had them in stock. As others have noted, the directions look pi**poor. As far as drilling the wheel arches, is wheel/tire removal required to get a good angle? Maybe a 90 deg drive drill? Thanks...
There was enough clearance in the back. For the front I just turned the wheels.

I was going to use my Dewalt 90 degree drive, but the problem was the length of the drill bits. I need to get some short ones.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
20190617_102810.jpg
20190617_102800.jpg
I love mine as well...my install experience was quick and easy requiring only a 1/4 drill bit and a small hammer to tap the metal clips on...

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
BcP28,
I kicked around the idea of getting those. I ended up getting the factory molded because of the cheaper price. I am very happy with the molded guards, but those flat ones look great on your truck! You won't see many Rangers with them either, which is cool IMHO.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Caved in and ordered Ford Splash Guards the molded ones. Just couldn’t face a rock road without them.

Hope they look ok. The pics above look good.

Update - installed today. Look great. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
I realize most of this thread discussion is with the plastic molded splash guards, but here's another Ford alternative if anyone wants to see how they look. These are the "Premium Flat w/o Bright Accent" splash guards. They are nice heavy rubber and have the Ford Logo stamped/molded on them.

Front part number is: KB3Z16A550J ($60 at local dealership with Ford Employee discount)

These are more of a 'universal' type flap. The fronts are cut to fit the wheel well in the Ranger, but the rears are pretty much a generic universal - in fact the instructions (which were more or less worthless) had different sections to install them on various generations of F150s and Super-Duties in addition to the Ranger. Installation was pretty straight forward, and the flaps included all the hardware needed for install . Overall I'm pretty satisfied with them and think they look good.

IMG_20190703_1149491.jpg
IMG_20190708_1750003.jpg
IMG_20190708_1811097.jpg
IMG_20190708_1811218.jpg
I like these best, having had the hard plastic & rubber flaps on various trucks. How was the install?

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I like these best, having had the hard plastic & rubber flaps on various trucks. How was the install?
Install wasn't bad. A little more effort to make sure they are squared up properly, and they did require drilling, but I'd say it took me less than 2 hours to do all 4 corners.

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
Install wasn't bad. A little more effort to make sure they are squared up properly, and they did require drilling, but I'd say it took me less than 2 hours to do all 4 corners.
Thank you, that was what I was looking for, drill or not to drill thank you again!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Piece of cake. Just drill. You’re only drilling into plastic. I have the original moulded ones and they fit great. I don’t notice them which is what I wanted.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS

IMG_20190703_1149491.jpg
IMG_20190708_1750003.jpg
IMG_20190708_1811097.jpg
IMG_20190708_1811218.jpg
Just got a set of these in. The instructions are ridiculously useless. It’s like “mark with pencil, hit with hammer, look at it twice, repeat on other side.” Okay... thanks

Did you pull the fender trim off and drill underneath, then drill the trim at the same location? It’s so confusing.
Sponsored