Engine "buzz" at low speeds/rpm

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm really surprised there isn't more buzz in this forum about the annoying buzz. It is definately not pebbles as I do not have the FX4 with skid plates and have not driven in any gravel. Just turned 2K and the buzz is there every day. Can't believe it is normal! Do I just need to crank the radio and ignore it? Any other feedback from someone's dealership?
The service manager at my dealership told me that it is "a characteristic of this engine". I mean, look, this is basically the same engine that is available in the Mustangs and they definitely don't buzz like this. I think everyone needs to complain to their dealer about it so it can get passed back up the tree to Ford. I'm OK with this engine not sounding like a V-8 (or even a V-6) but I am NOT OK with it sounding like a word out toy.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The service manager at my dealership told me that it is "a characteristic of this engine". I mean, look, this is basically the same engine that is available in the Mustangs and they definitely don't buzz like this. I think everyone needs to complain to their dealer about it so it can get passed back up the tree to Ford. I'm OK with this engine not sounding like a V-8 (or even a V-6) but I am NOT OK with it sounding like a word out toy.
I don't hear a buzz on mine - can you make a short video that illustrates the noise you are talking about?

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not ok with the sound. Itā€™s aggravating, like nails on a chalkboard. It didnā€™t start making the sound until about 200 miles on it. I would have noticed it on my test drive. The noise was simply not there. I would have noticed it and commented on it. I want to find out what exactly is making the noise. Itā€™s a sound that (for me) overshadows the sound of the engine. I donā€™t like it one bit. Iā€™ll try and make a video of the sound and post for others to hear.

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to post a video but the file size was larger then allowed by the server. Not sure what the max size is but Iā€™m sure it was listed in the member agreement I didnā€™t read when I joined the group :angel: Iā€™ll try and link it to my shared google docs and attach a link.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to post a video but the file size was larger then allowed by the server. Not sure what the max size is but Iā€™m sure it was listed in the member agreement I didnā€™t read when I joined the group :angel: Iā€™ll try and link it to my shared google docs and attach a link.
Yea. You can upload it to YouTube as well and put the link here.

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yea. You can upload it to YouTube as well and put the link here.
Ok. I uploaded to YouTube (I think). I have never done this before so hopefully it works. If it does, what you are hearing is the motor at idle. Notice when I move around to the left side of the motor toward the rear of the engine compartment it gets louder. I will take another video when it isnā€™t making that buzzy noise for comparison.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I uploaded to YouTube (I think). I have never done this before so hopefully it works. If it does, what you are hearing is the motor at idle. Notice when I move around to the left side of the motor toward the rear of the engine compartment it gets louder. I will take another video when it isnā€™t making that buzzy noise for comparison.

Hmmm - I didn't hear anything other than the normal clicking of the injectors. They are kind of loud, but it is normal from what I understand. I didn't really hear any buzzy noise, though.

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat,

Good job, that worked! Now that you are so good at it If you want to try it again to confirm this annoyance and can move closer to the module directly behind the center of the sound dampening cover, tucked under the cowling is what they told me was the pressure regulator containing the fuel injectors. I believe this is where the buzz originates. I can feel the buzz when placing a hand on it when still cool like when first started. Take caution not to place hands in any moving parts area!!!!!!!

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video I made where you can clearly hear the buzz. Itā€™s louder down under the dash than it is at head height. Sorry you see my feet. You can hear it whenever I tap the accelerator. Hope this makes it more clear @RedlandRanger and others.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Definitely sounds like some small loose object... I would try turning it off and just tapping on stuff in the engine bay to see if there's some connector/nut/hose/etc that's loose.. even under the dash where the pedals are, might be a panel somewhere... good luck.

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
That's what mine sounded like. The video doesn't quite do it justice. It's not necessarily louder but it's more distinct, the buzz stands out. So far the noise hasn't come back on mine, but the fact that multiple people are experiencing this, and it sounds the same, makes me think it's an engine part rather than a foreign piece of debris. Probably a simple fix if we can just identify the source.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's what mine sounded like. The video doesn't quite do it justice. It's not necessarily louder but it's more distinct, the buzz stands out. So far the noise hasn't come back on mine, but the fact that multiple people are experiencing this, and it sounds the same, makes me think it's an engine part rather than a foreign piece of debris. Probably a simple fix if we can just identify the source.
I could hear something in the second video, but it seemed rather faint (to these old ears).

So you had the noise and then it went away by itself?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video I made where you can clearly hear the buzz. Itā€™s louder down under the dash than it is at head height. Sorry you see my feet. You can hear it whenever I tap the accelerator. Hope this makes it more clear @RedlandRanger and others.
ok - now do the same when holding your hand on the tray on the top of the dash board.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

I did not hear anything out of the ordinary.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

Almost sounds like a lifter..Is the fan clear?
Sponsored