Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Opinions on bed/tonneau covers....

I had a Bakflip on my last truck and was happy with it. Dealership offered to install one but I feel I can do better off than their prices.

What are y'all running, favorite brands, recommendations?
Sponsored

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord

I had a Bakflip on my last truck and was happy with it. Dealership offered to install one but I feel I can do better off than their prices.

I like my Undercover Ultra Flex, but despite getting a retro fit kit from the manufacturer there was no way I could install myself.

19EAE514-56CD-4936-9363-2EEECF6CED53.jpeg

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

When I ordered my Ranger, I also ordered a hard folding tonneau cover. Tri fold. I’m not sure of the brand from the factory, but I REALLY like it. One of the best things I ordered for the truck.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
When I ordered my Ranger, I also ordered a hard folding tonneau cover. Tri fold. I’m not sure of the brand from the factory, but I REALLY like it. One of the best things I ordered for the truck.
I've got the same, but on the 6 foot bed it's a quad fold. I've been pretty happy with it. It does not seal 100% in the rain, but I suspect some of that may be bad install by dealer (side rails aren't quite tight enough). Tweaking it is on the to do list. In hindsight I'd probably go direct from manufacturer and get the MX4 instead of the G2 (I like the idea of not having to worry about the cover when closing the tailgate and don't really understand why they even sell both) except that the MX4 isn't available yet for the 6 foot bed on the ranger.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a decent hard folding tonneau cover that has the ability to drain the water correctly, there should be very little water leakage. I had a Gator cover on my F-150. Never had leakage issues. The only issue I ever had was dealing with the rubber strip on the very back piece that got banged up by folks closing the cover first and then the tailgate not realizing the impact it had.

I got the Bakflip MX4 because it has that new seal that allows you to open and close the tailgate with the cover fully closed. The issue with the Ranger is that the rear tailgate does not seal watertight from the factory to the bed as there are gaps that allow water/dust, etc. to penetrate into the bed. I have to hose out the bed on every trip to the Gulf even with the bed totally close pulling the kayak trailer as the dust from driving miles down dusty dirt roads penetrates into the bed due to the tailgate gaps..

I will add the rubber sealing that a lot of the Ranger owners on the forum have done in the next month or so.

Scotty J

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 2012 BMW R1200GSA - 1972 Honda CB750 Four
Occupation
CADD Designer, Survey Technician
AgriCover Lomax. I believe it's the same one that WeatherTech sells. All aluminum, installed in under an hour.

*Edit:
I drove home in a downpour last night (1 hour commute, half highway, half backroads) and I can tell you the Lomax is about 95% watertight. I looked in the bed when I got into the garage and there was just a little bit of water at the front left & right corners. Less than a half a coke can's worth.
WnSa_ivMt6oDWEvJozLqIDB6ZOKwcrZ3LWCudfXJVzYTlWp9dKvPbNQBZvAGWeiqpE7HDA1dwkIxVEGGK=w1436-h1077-no.jpg
XJGabvMb4DZHSL7JUKlgMp0v1gZqGmCqALmMzGs0e6diGcWuQRgpvysdkTwNdp7bsXFLvM19vqRmGtSCp=w1436-h1077-no.jpg

Last edited:

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

just ordered this:

1. no rails to mount on truck.
2. easy to remove/add if needed.
3. no plastic - nice convertible top canvas.

got from RealTruck with disount and $40 rebate.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If there are no rails, how does it stay on?
It looks like it is just like Extang Solid Fold (a solid cover instead of a canvas cover). It lays on top of the bed rails and the head piece clamps down under the bed side rails. There is a bulkhead piece you have to fit for the Ranger to level the front of the bed rail.

I like my Extang Sold fold because it was easy to install, and just as easy to remove if needed -takes like 2 minutes to remove and I have full access to the bed. The only drawback I can see is that it is thicker than some of the "rail" solutions - mine is a little over an inch thick.

20190419_144941-jpg.jpg

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
another for the extang solid fold, easy on/off, will support some weight on it, over the rail design, I think, is a little more water proof, no drain tubes or rails to mess with.

But , if you are looking for that flush mount look, its not for you.

tonneau.jpg
Sponsored