RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
$60k brought a lot of off-road to the table, but you can bring the Ranger XL FX4 in at around 33k... Almost half the cost...
And you can add a LOT of off road capability for $25k..... Those gladiators just seem to be WAY overpriced, IMO.
Sponsored

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a rare favorable review of the Ranger from a true outdoor enthusiast:

https://www.outsideonline.com/23975...ial&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare

Wes Siler Reviews His 2019 Ford Ranger
Car journalist turned dog-camping guy Wes Siler takes a look at the new-for-2019 Ford Ranger. Living in Montana, Wes drives off-road virtually every day, and he's turned to the Ranger to fulfill his need for a hard-use adventure vehicle. Compared to the Toyota Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, the Ranger offers a much more modern engine and transmission, delivering both better performance and better fuel economy, along with lower gearing that enhances its off-road ability. While it lacks the ultimate rock-crawling capability (and doesn't feature as low a crawl ratio) of the Jeep Gladiator, the Ranger's superior powertrain and independent front suspension make it a much more comfortable place to spend time—an important consideration both for daily driving and long-distance travel. Wes equipped this Ranger with the $1,295 FX4 package, which, unlike its rivals, boosts off-road capability across all trim levels. That means the performance you see here is even available at a sub-$30,000 price. Special thanks to Go Fast Campers for use of their shop.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
So, I've noticed a trend among reviewers when they compare mid-size trucks. Any time the ANY mid-size is pitted against the Tacoma, it loses. With the exception of Edmunds who rated the #1 truck the 2019 Ridgeline, so they obviously don't count.

I wonder if the reviewers are scared the legions of Tacoma fans will boycot them if they dare say another truck is better than the Tacoma...

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
oooh, he's saying we don't need a Raptor Ranger! That's a bold move!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
oooh, he's saying we don't need a Raptor Ranger! That's a bold move!
I'm pretty sure most of the people driving raptor 150s don't need them either--it's just a fashion statement. Which was his point, but doesn't have anything to do with whether ford can make a zillion dollars selling them. Certainly that's a business model which is working well for jeep. Even the jeep guys themselves make fun of all the saharas that make occasionally negotiate a pothole in the mall parking lot.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I'm pretty sure most of the people driving raptor 150s don't need them either--it's just a fashion statement. Which was his point, but doesn't have anything to do with whether ford can make a zillion dollars selling them. Certainly that's a business model which is working well for jeep. Even the jeep guys themselves make fun of all the saharas that make occasionally negotiate a pothole in the mall parking lot.
I'd take that as a given. I bought an FX4 Ranger. Do I need the extras it tacks on? Nope. I wanted them.

Honestly, I'd say most people who buy 4 wheel drive will never need it. I usually pop my truck into 4 hi about twice a year, but I'm in Florida right now and not back in the Rockies where I belong. I'd probably not buy a Ranger Raptor if/when they release it over here, but that's because I don't like paying off loans. Same reason why I didn't buy a Lariat (or an F-150 Raptor or ZR2), not necessarily because I don't want the features, but because I can't justify the cost to myself.

That review was a breath of fresh air, though. It seems that most reviewers have lost touch with reality. The amount of complaints that push-button only comes on the Lariat trim, or the LEDs can't be optioned on the XL... I mean, really? I've never driven a car with those things, and they were cool, sure. But after the "oooh, ahhhh" affect wore off, I was indifferent. Maybe I'm just low class!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I just wanted a Ranger. The only thing I absolutely wanted special was the heated seats. My husband insisted on everything else because I’ve never had it. We also have never ordered a vehicle before. Since it is my truck AND since my husband is OCD, it will probably never be driven “off road”. But it’s great to know we can if we need to!:like:

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
"The Ranger looks like something a Costa Rican Llama farmer would drive". -Meant in the best possible sense. That is a funny and well communicated point, The global market has enhanced the capability of the 4x4's basic design features of our trucks. It sounds like even a 4x2 may take you places your previous 4x2 would not.

Piggy backing on a statement above the FX4 package is often a want rather than a need. The 4x2 and the base 4x4 truck w/ or w/o FX4 has some nice value over the competition that should be fleshed out in the coming years.
Sponsored