Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Every one of these trucks should come with the tow package, It's a truck and has best in class towing. I wouldn't buy a pick up without it even though I don't see major towing in my future. I have used tow packages before to rent a U-Haul to pick up large stuff at Costco or Lowes that won't fit in the truck bed safely
Sponsored

Howopeeps

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rouge
Just pick up my new truck. It does not have the tow package. Would like to add a hitch to tow stuff. Was wondering what I need to buy to make it able to tow stuff. Is it best to do on my own/ have the ford dealership/or 3rd party towing retail company.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just pick up my new truck. It does not have the tow package. Would like to add a hitch to tow stuff. Was wondering what I need to buy to make it able to tow stuff. Is it best to do on my own/ have the ford dealership/or 3rd party towing would retail company.
I'd only go Ford parts and service but the cost will be around $750 parts and labor. I'm thinking of getting one installed and have one on order. There is a national backorder.

Pluto

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Somebody mentioned a simple receiver add on that bolts to the bumper. I picked up my truck today and no tow package (although the dealer did forget to charge me for the tech package :p). I’m fine with the included 4 pin. Will something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-700...FRCE9AB6TBC&psc=1&refRID=EE3NJFB1KFRCE9AB6TBC

Thanks in advance! I just want to tow about 2,500 lbs... but not bumper pull.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Somebody mentioned a simple receiver add on that bolts to the bumper. I picked up my truck today and no tow package (although the dealer did forget to charge me for the tech package :p). I’m fine with the included 4 pin. Will something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-700...FRCE9AB6TBC&psc=1&refRID=EE3NJFB1KFRCE9AB6TBC

Thanks in advance! I just want to tow about 2,500 lbs... but not bumper pull.
Probably not the best option... The effort required to grind off the factory chain loops under the bumper and the drilling and alignment of holes in the bumper to bolt up this receiver, is much more work than just getting a Curt or DrawTite aftermarket hitch. Either of these hitches bolt right up with no modifications to your truck and provide a wide margin of safety for towing... (Just my 2 cents)

These are the best prices I found today...

Curt Hitch # 13417 https://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A3874A0A0.aspx (Amazon price $149)

DrawTite 76275 https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/76275.html

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Probably not the best option... The effort required to grind off the factory chain loops under the bumper and the drilling and alignment of holes in the bumper to bolt up this receiver, is much more work than just getting a Curt or DrawTite aftermarket hitch. Either of these hitches bolt right up with no modifications to your truck and provide a wide margin of safety for towing... (Just my 2 cents)

These are the best prices I found today...

Curt Hitch # 13417 https://www.autoanything.com/towing/73A3874A0A0.aspx (Amazon price $149)

DrawTite 76275 https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/76275.html
I need to add a hitch also. Would there be any reason to order one or the other of these options that you can think of?

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
I need to add a hitch also. Would there be any reason to order one or the other of these options that you can think of?
They are comparable in load capacity and installation ease, so I would pick based on price / availability as the prices seems to fluctuate a bit..

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Thanks. CarID has the Curt #13417 for $123 so I guess I'll go with that.

MkB

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew
My Ranger came without the towing package. If you want the factory package, I would recommend that you make sure you purchase your Ranger with one or install the aftermarket receiver yourself. I purchased the towing package with the truck and waited almost 4 months for it to come in. It finally arrived a couple of weeks ago but when I got to the dealership to have the towing package installed, I was told that the wiring harness was not in the box and it was not available from Ford. The dealership had the Curt receiver installed a few earlier so I could pull my boat. I had a camper I needed to move and they were aware of the issue. They offered to have an aftermarket connector installed which only has 12 volt power and since I was in a bind, I let them do it. It was not what I ordered or wanted but I had to have it. I have asked them to refund the difference between what I paid and what they installed but the dealership will not return my call as promised.

Adding the recommended brake controller was an issue too on the Ranger without the towing package plus the 7-pin plug installation made it more difficult since there is no standalone harness available. I finally settled for a Curt Echo controller. It all works well but it is not what I purchased or wanted. I really like the Ranger and my only complaint has been the poor Ford and dealership service. My gut feel was to do the installation myself but I am recovering from 2 lung transplants and was too weak to handle the receiver installation.

C1273A98-0497-4D73-8464-3189C26221A2.jpeg

6AC79986-0771-4920-A8E0-799760A1C5EB.jpeg

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered Curt hitch 13417 for my Ranger. Got it through Amazon and my wife had points I used $131.79 free shipping now the wait begins.

Vandave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger FX4 Lariat
Bought the Curt hitch from CarID. Install was pretty easy

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone that installed the factory hitch, is it possible to install it without taking the bumper off like the directions say? I don't see why you couldn't unbolt the existing trailer hooks that are on the trucks without the tow package and then just bolt the new trailer hitch to the frame.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
For anyone that installed the factory hitch, is it possible to install it without taking the bumper off like the directions say? I don't see why you couldn't unbolt the existing trailer hooks that are on the trucks without the tow package and then just bolt the new trailer hitch to the frame.
For the factory hitch, it is the bumper. It is a solid metal piece that connects to the lower frame, and is all of the metal in the bumper, in one piece. You remove the old bumper, swap all the plastic pieces, sensors and lights from the old to the new bumper, then put the bumper back on. So you don't just take the bumper off, you replace it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Nope.

A4B8DF18-0D19-4D8C-B48C-FCB3DE9C7DC9.jpeg

Nope sortof... It's definitely affixed to the bumper. but not welded in any way. Just bolts all over the place that hook to the back of the bumper.

Last edited:

Pluto

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Nope.

A4B8DF18-0D19-4D8C-B48C-FCB3DE9C7DC9.jpeg

Nope sortof... It's definitely affixed to the bumper. but not welded in any way. Just bolts all over the place that hook to the back of the bumper.
What hitch is this? Do you have a link? I like the tubular construction.
Sponsored