Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update on the Curt hitch. My local custom shop installed my hitch today without any issues. Hitch was $185 plus $30 instal. It’s a real straight forward instal but my days of laying under a truck in wet weather breaking loose bolts torqued to 196ft-lb are long gone.

This installer had 3 of these hitches delivered yesterday, with 10 more on order but, the warehouse didn’t have any more. Curt is shipping but they are still scarce.
Sponsored

RIRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update on the Curt hitch. My local custom shop installed my hitch today without any issues. Hitch was $185 plus $30 instal. It’s a real straight forward instal but my days of laying under a truck in wet weather breaking loose bolts torqued to 196ft-lb are long gone.

This installer had 3 of these hitches delivered yesterday, with 10 more on order but, the warehouse didn’t have any more. Curt is shipping but they are still scarce.
Just got mine yesterday from autoaccessoriesgarage.com. Was $103 but went up to $112 and free shipping. Easy install, just took me 20 minutes today.

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Are y’all ordering the wiring harness from Ford still?

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase

i contacted them a few weeks ago and they they said "check back later". Great news!

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
i contacted them a few weeks ago and they they said "check back later". Great news!
I installed the Curt hitch last week and found a couple of errors in the instructions.
- The socket size required for the M16 bumper bolts is 21 mm , not the 24 mm listed on the sheet
- The torqued value is 146 Ft lbs (195 nm) not 195 Ft lbs.

If you run a few 1/2 bolts and washers in the bumper tabs just outboard of the bumper bolts, C clamps are not needed.
Its also a good idea to blue Loctite the 4 bumper bolts, as they were threadlocked from the factory.

I balanced the hitch on 2 jack stands and was able to install in my driveway in about 30 mins. The Curt hitch has enough clearance under the bumper that the 4 pin connector does not need to be relocated.

FYI it looks like the Drawtite /Hidden Hitch will be available on 4/25 ..
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Ranger/2019/76275.html?vehicleID=201990035

RIRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Curt hitch last week and found a couple of errors in the instructions.
- The socket size required for the M16 bumper bolts is 21 mm , not the 24 mm listed on the sheet

If you run a few 1/2 bolts and washers in the bumper tabs just outboard of the bumper bolts, C clamps are not needed.
Its also a good idea to blue Loctite the 4 bumper bolts, as they were threadlocked from the factory.

I balanced the hitch on 2 jack stands and was able to install in my driveway in about 30 mins. The Curt hitch has enough clearance under the bumper that the 4 pin connector does not need to be relocated.

FYI it looks like the Drawtite /Hidden Hitch will be available on 4/25 ..
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Ranger/2019/76275.html?vehicleID=201990035
Looks like the spare tire has to be lowered to install the Drawtite/Hidden Hitch. The Curt hitch just clears the spare when installing.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
On Amazon Curt 13417 $138.76
71Ul+qdr6yL._AC_UL320_.jpg

YouknowwhatImean

First Name
Zack Mayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT Ranger; '17 6spd WRX

Got the Curt for $130 w tax. Yup to all this. Installed it last night doing the above. Using the 1/2 bolts to hold the bumper in place instead of clamps is the better approach. The hardest part was torquing the bolts back to 150 Ft lbs.

So, if I got this straight, that's all i need if I don't plan on towing RVs? We all have the 4pin under the bumper and that's for brake and signal lights?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Some places (kalifornia) also have a brake requirement for anything over a certain weight (1500# sometimes). I suggest checking local laws.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Some places (kalifornia) also have a brake requirement for anything over a certain weight (1500# sometimes). I suggest checking local laws.
If you are towing a boat, the 4 pin connector should be fine as surge brakes are typically used (which don’t require a brake controller) if auxiliary brakes are needed / required by law...

YouknowwhatImean

First Name
Zack Mayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT Ranger; '17 6spd WRX
"If you run a few 1/2 bolts and washers in the bumper tabs just outboard of..."

Know what those tabs are for -- seems to be missing bolts? I just left the 1/2 bolts on as an added measure.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Good info guys I hope to be ordering mine soon

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4

Know what those tabs are for -- seems to be missing bolts? I just left the 1/2 bolts on as an added measure.
My guess would be that they are locating holes for the factory to align the bumper to the frame.. Maybe a member with ties to the assembly plant can confirm (or correct me ! )

ed1946

First Name
elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 taurus
Occupation
retired

Thats what I did, worked great.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Had it for two weeks and finally got to install it electric impact and blue lock tight.
Ranger170.jpg
Sponsored