First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 - Magnetic Metallic, 2018 Triumph Street Twin
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
So whenever I accelerate the second my foot touches the gas I get a buzz almost like audio static or an electrical crackle that's different and louder than the engine up to maybe 4000 rpm. At higher speeds its not noticeable, but its all I can hear up to maybe 20 mph.

Quirk in the engine or something going on?
Sponsored

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
The DI injectors are super loud in the Ranger. Even more so in cold starts, where it sounds like they're running in split-injection mode. Much louder than the RS. Or perhaps less insulated (even with the Lariat engine cover.)

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I have this same noise and others have described it too. At first I thought it was coming through the speakers because it sounds electronic but I don’t think it is. It’s loudest when I put my head under the steering wheel which makes me think it is actually coming from engine bay. So maybe it is the DI injector. Will try and isolate it again later. It’s been described elsewhere on the forum as weed wacker or helicopter-esque. To me it sounded like electrical interference coming through the speakers so I thought it might be part of the fabled pumped in engine noise system but it’s not loud when putting an ear to a speaker.

OP
OP
awoods94

awoods94

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
I have this same noise and others have described it too. At first I thought it was coming through the speakers because it sounds electronic but I don’t think it is. It’s loudest when I put my head under the steering wheel which makes me think it is actually coming from engine bay. So maybe it is the DI injector. Will try and isolate it again later. It’s been described elsewhere on the forum as weed wacker or helicopter-esque. To me it sounded like electrical interference coming through the speakers so I thought it might be part of the fabled pumped in engine noise system but it’s not loud when putting an ear to a speaker.
It does seem to be coming from the engine bay for me too. But even warm, the DI injector even louder than the engine seems off to me?

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I just started noticing this last weekend on mine. I swear it didn't make that noise until I hit ~900 miles, but now a "cold start" when it's warm out, it buzzes. This morning was cooler and damp, and no such buzz. Very odd, but may look into the engine cover as it's fairly annoying for the first ~10 15 miles each day as the engine warms up. Seems to fade away after that point (about how long it would take for me to get to the dealer to explain the issue)

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
maybe I should turn down the radio and listen :)

OP
OP
awoods94

awoods94

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Update: took it in to the dealer yesterday, they didn't find anything and marked it was likely a "whine due to the gearing offset characteristic of the transmission". Unfortunately couldn't replicate a "cold start" so might have to leave it there overnight or something next time.

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same...sounds electronic to me. It is not the gear whine, I hear that too, different from this, when back out in the morning cold I notice the gear whine(especially with window down), after that not much, and not really irritating. But I do still hear this electronic buss / whine sound - which is irritating sounding. To me it sound like alternator interference I've hear in my stereo in other older cars before stereo was turned on or "booted up", or something. I tried turning the stereo on, but having the volume down to zero or 1 and I think it goes away...I needed to replicate that more than the once - anyone else tried?

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have the same...sounds electronic to me. It is not the gear whine, I hear that too, different from this, when back out in the morning cold I notice the gear whine(especially with window down), after that not much, and not really irritating. But I do still hear this electronic buss / whine sound - which is irritating sounding. To me it sound like alternator interference I've hear in my stereo in other older cars before stereo was turned on or "booted up", or something. I tried turning the stereo on, but having the volume down to zero or 1 and I think it goes away...I needed to replicate that more than the once - anyone else tried?
I have the same. When I am outside of the truck, I can hear it coming from the engine but when I am INSIDE, it it more muted and sounds more like a heat shield rattling. As I am driving, if I let me foot off the gas it can disappear completely and when I hit the gas a little again, it buzzes again. I know its the DI injector but it sounds so much different from the inside than out. I guess that is because of all of the insulation. Bottom line is it drives me nuts. I have this awesome looking truck, then I start it up and it sounds like a wide-up toy. Grrrr!!!

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same. When I am outside of the truck, I can hear it coming from the engine but when I am INSIDE, it it more muted and sounds more like a heat shield rattling. As I am driving, if I let me foot off the gas it can disappear completely and when I hit the gas a little again, it buzzes again. I know its the DI injector but it sounds so much different from the inside than out. I guess that is because of all of the insulation. Bottom line is it drives me nuts. I have this awesome looking truck, then I start it up and it sounds like a wide-up toy. Grrrr!!!
I'll be honest, about two days after I posted on here about it, the sound has gone away on it's own. I really don't know what to make of it, but I had the same experience and reaction as you did.

OP
OP
awoods94

awoods94

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
I'll be honest, about two days after I posted on here about it, the sound has gone away on it's own. I really don't know what to make of it, but I had the same experience and reaction as you did.
OK, If it can go away on its own, then it's definitely not supposed to be there. Now the question remains, what is it?

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
OK, If it can go away on its own, then it's definitely not supposed to be there. Now the question remains, what is it?
To add to the mystery...mine even sort of changes sound when I go over speed bumps. It gets louder and softer. Like I said, to me it sounds like a loose piece of metal that vibrates and makes noise. If it is just the D.I. I am hearing, I don't think it would change like that.

zusmc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew
Just noticed mine doing this for the first time today (720) miles on it . Last couple of days I’ve had the windows down early in the morning so maybe I just didn’t hear it. It only did it when I mashed the gas pedal and seemed to stop after the truck had warned up some .

Gcoop81

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2012 ,Toyota Prius C
I also have noticed this noise lately
Sounds like a vibration/rattle when accelerating , as soon as you let off gas it stops
And then I can also hear it sometimes when the truck downshifts when coasting..
Kinda sounds like a rattling heat shield when driving..
it is driving me crazy aswell

Anymore info on it?

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I also have noticed this noise lately
Sounds like a vibration/rattle when accelerating , as soon as you let off gas it stops
And then I can also hear it sometimes when the truck downshifts when coasting..
Kinda sounds like a rattling heat shield when driving..
it is driving me crazy aswell

Anymore info on it?
A rattling heat shield...that is exactly how I would describe it too., I just can't tell if it what I hear inside the cab is truly vibration/rattle or just the DI making it's annoying racket and sounding different through the engine cover and firewall. Can anybody else chime in with any insights?
Sponsored