What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

South Florida Ranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
All I know is I am not waiting 10,000 miles to change my oil. Filter maybe but the oil na. Just installed the FUMOTO valve to make it quick and easy.
Sponsored

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is I am not waiting 10,000 miles to change my oil. Filter maybe but the oil na. Just installed the FUMOTO valve to make it quick and easy.
Smart! Every 5k and your will be happy in the long run. Customers that go 7,500-10k have so many more issues down the line with turbos, cam Phasers, oil pressure issues due to scored cam caps. You name it. I always tell customers, the manufactures do two things, sell cars and parts!

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why would you change the oil and not the filter?
Seems kind like wiping the butt but pulling up dirty underwear....:eek:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Smart! Every 5k and your will be happy in the long run. Customers that go 7,500-10k have so many more issues down the line with turbos, cam Phasers, oil pressure issues due to scored cam caps. You name it. I always tell customers, the manufactures do two things, sell cars and parts!
Over all, most people don't understand the effect of dirty oil on cam phasers, let alone the other valid points you make.
One failure and you'll pay for all those "extra" oil changes that you skipped!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Over all, most people don't understand the effect of dirty oil on cam phasers, let alone the other valid points you make.
One failure and you'll pay for all those "extra" oil changes that you skipped!
Meh. Just as many people don't understand that extra oil changes are just another way to burn money.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I go about 7K between oil changes and after I get 15K miles I will go full synthetic. I like to give the engine a good breaking in before I go to full synthetic.

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
First change will be penzoil platinum full synthetic at 3500. Will use motorcraft filters and penzoil platinum every 5k

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I have ran Rotella 5-40 in many vehicles with good results. Will likely do the same with the ranger

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have ran Rotella 5-40 in many vehicles with good results. Will likely do the same with the ranger
Most/All 5W-40 Rotella T6 is not certified for gasoline engines, I know it works (I've used it too), but I'd recommend using an API SN-Plus rated oil until at least the warranty period ends.

I know it's an opinion, but if you end up with a busted engine, things could get interesting.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I will run it in everything that's not on the road, or that runs diesel :) But the Ranger still gets Mobil1, the dealer tried to sell me a 110$ oil change, and I almost laughed out loud on the phone.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
!0W - 30 used to be 10 weight oil that is modified so it only thins out to the same as 30 weight when hot. Oil is getting like tire sizes, your guess is as good as mine what all the numbers mean. Since ford has to fix my engine for 3years I assume that they know what oil is good for engines. Now days most engines dont fail because of oil problems. All of the controls and stuff hanging on your engine will cost you more to fix than the actual engine.

That assumes that you drive like a nice person. If you are an nascar wanabe and are desperate to beat everyone to the next light then you going to pay more to fix everything on your truck. Better oil wont help you.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Why would you change the oil and not the filter?
Seems kind like wiping the butt but pulling up dirty underwear....:eek:
I would say that anyone doing the extended oil change interval should change the filter every 5k and top off the oil. Clean oil and a dirty filter doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Personally I'll change oil and filter every 5k. Going to run the FL 400s for a little more filter media too. I'll run house brand ( Rural King or SuperTech ) full synthetic oil.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Motorcraft Full Synthetic and Motorcraft filter for me, first oil change at 3000 miles w/ Fumoto and then whenever it tells me to do it thereafter

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
First off, I'm really confused with modern oil specifications and appreciate your help. A lot has changed since my first vehicle (62 Chevy short bed) (yep I'm an old fart).:crackup:

I did my first oil change on the Ranger at the dealership at around 1,000 miles on it, and had them fill it with Motorcraft 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I overpaid at $122 for an oil change. :thumbsdown: I had previously checked the owners manual and it says to use 5W-30 that meets Ford specification WSS-M2C946-B1. So, I am now trying to find a way to get an oil change that meets the Ford spec, without paying another arm or leg to the dealer. The local oil change shop down the street from me will do a Mobil 1 oil change for $89.95, and Mobil is offering a $12 rebate until October 2019.

Back in April when I did the oil change, Mobil 1 5W-30 did not show to be WSS-M2C946-B1 certified per the Mobil 1 website. But now, the Mobil 1 website shows that the 5W-30 Mobil 1 meets the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 specification.

So to further add to my confusion, on my trip today to Walmart, I checked out the label on a gallon jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 and it did NOT have the WSS-M2C946-B1 specification listed.

Anybody have any further info? Did Mobil 1 5W-30 just recently obtain the WSS-M2C946-B1 certification through a reformulation, or do all previous jugs/bottles/cans of Mobil 1 5W-30 meet the Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 specification?
Sponsored

Last edited: