Run wires from battery to cab

Johnathon Duran

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Any help on the easiest way to run wires from my battery thru the firewall to my cab would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Any help on the easiest way to run wires from my battery thru the firewall to my cab would be greatly appreciated
Most vehicles have a Rubber Grommet around the Steering Column access hole which can be used to pass wires into the Cab. Did that on my Tacoma when i ran a Front Camera wire into the Cab.

Last edited:

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I remember reading another post where the wire was passed next to the hood release grommet.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
There's a clutch line hole in every vehicle (especially ones sold in Europe) which is usually just plugged with a rubber grommet. I haven't located it on this, but it's there.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The harness/hood release cable grommet is what I used for my ditch light wires. It was a pain. I used a clothes hanger and poked a hole from the inside and fished it up into the engine compartment. It's tricky. Have fun.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
It was a pain. I went thought the grommet for the hood release hatch. Hardest wire run I end every done. If anyone finds the clutch grommet I’d love to know where it is.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever wire you run off battery to cab, please put an inline fuse directly off the terminal. I wish I took a picture of the abortion of wiring add-ons working on a Tacoma last week. Safety first!

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
The wires I ran are fused. Almost over fused. They are for my ham radio. The positive has a fuse at both ends. The negative has one by the battery. That’s how Yaesu designed it so I left them all intact.

Roger White

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
The wires I ran are fused. Almost over fused. They are for my ham radio. The positive has a fuse at both ends. The negative has one by the battery. That’s how Yaesu designed it so I left them all intact.
From W5RDW, Roger, new 2019 Ranger owner, Where did you mount your antenna? I am using a dual (or 3 band VHF/UHF) mount/antenna on the drivers side that clamps to the hood with coax/DC routed like you did. I have either a dual band Icom IC2730 or a 220 radio I may mount in the truck. Where are you mounting your radio, assuming it is about the size of my Icom?

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
From W5RDW, Roger, new 2019 Ranger owner, Where did you mount your antenna? I am using a dual (or 3 band VHF/UHF) mount/antenna on the drivers side that clamps to the hood with coax/DC routed like you did. I have either a dual band Icom IC2730 or a 220 radio I may mount in the truck. Where are you mounting your radio, assuming it is about the size of my Icom?
Most small radios can be mounted in the dash tray. There are a couple other threads with ham radio content, showing installation pics:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/amateur-radio-antenna-installations.3569/
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/dash-tray-removal.3178/

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Johnathan,

I used the left side large grommet for the wiring harness...I ran two wiring harness of 4 sixteen gauge conductors through the a cut in this grommet...The second set was a just in case set of which I used two of the wires. I was wiring to use the vehicle brake/taillights to tow the Ranger behind my Motorhome. Please ensure you fuse these wires at the source...I have seen many vehicles burn to the ground due to faulty wiring.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retied

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The positive should have a fuse at the battery AT A MINUMUM. If the positive rubs a path to ground anywhere between the battery and the other fuse, it will torch it's self instantly, ignoring the fuse by the battery on the negative, and using the vehicle frame as the ground path.

Fuse it on both ends of both wires, or if that isn't an option, both ends of the positive should be fused, then worry about everything else.

That said, I used the grommet where the hood release and wiring harness go through, and ran the power to the rear seat using #12 to power a Kenwood D710Ga which is mounted where the factory amp lives in the Lariat model (behind the drivers side rear seat).

de,
AD8CJ

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
Does anyone know how to drop the glovebox on the Ranger? I want to take a look at running wires thru the grommet on the passenger side - I know it comes in somewhere behind and above the glovebox. On my Raptor you could just squeeze each side of the glovebox and it dropped right down. I tried on the Ranger but it feels like I’m going to break something if I squeeze harder.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know how to drop the glovebox on the Ranger? I want to take a look at running wires thru the grommet on the passenger side - I know it comes in somewhere behind and above the glovebox. On my Raptor you could just squeeze each side of the glovebox and it dropped right down. I tried on the Ranger but it feels like I’m going to break something if I squeeze harder.
Hi Rob,

Disconnect the cord on the right side of the glove box. It should drop down..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Reactions: EJH

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri