Timeline on better gearing for bigger tires?

Fordmandan87

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, FX4, leveled
Is there anything in the works for regearing our unique differentials? I want to put bigger tires on but I also want my transmission to live after I do so.
Sponsored

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Is there anything in the works for regearing our unique differentials? I want to put bigger tires on but I also want my transmission to live after I do so.
There should have a best possible solution in the very near future. Until then, we already have vastly superior gearing to the competition. You shouldn't have any problems going up to 33 or 34 gearing wise.

OP
OP
Fordmandan87

Fordmandan87

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There should have a best possible solution in the very near future. Until then, we already have vastly superior gearing to the competition. You shouldn't have any problems going up to 33 or 34 gearing wise.
I've had way too many issues with automatics to really trust them but then again they were all used/abused units that had over 100,000miles on them lol. In 10th the rpm gets almost too low to be of use in stock form. I figured a 4.10 gear would be enough to have a 33-34in tire and be similar in rpm to what stock was.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'd think a tune (Livernois, 5 Star, etc) would make up for any performance lost by larger tires, and then some. Also, this transmission is used in full-size trucks so I wouldn't be worried about it holding up if your just looking to run 35s or something. Good luck!

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I've had way too many issues with automatics to really trust them but then again they were all used/abused units that had over 100,000miles on them lol. In 10th the rpm gets almost too low to be of use in stock form. I figured a 4.10 gear would be enough to have a 33-34in tire and be similar in rpm to what stock was.
You are correct - the gearing should be corrected for bigger tires or 10th may be unusable, depending on how big you go of course. The workaround would be to limit the trans to 9 speeds, but it's a workaround.

The trans, based on what we know, is the same unit in the F150, not sure if it's exactly as strong, they may have downsized some components so it's lighter, but it should be stout.

I'm with ya, I'd be comfortable going up to 32's with no re-gear, much more than that, I'd want to re-gear. I already don't like how much it lugs in 10th at times.

Your probably looking @ $1400 per end, installed.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordmandan87

Fordmandan87

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The front is 190mm. Just enough to be different

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
YThe trans, based on what we know, is the same unit in the F150, not sure if it's exactly as strong, they may have downsized some components so it's lighter, but it should be stout.
I've seen it reported many times the trans is the SAME one as used in the F150 - the only difference is the bell housing. The internals are identical.

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
I'm on 33s and haven't noticed any real performance difference. Truck did fine at my local ohv park in 4low going up some steep hills just idling. I'll likely regear if I decide to go to 35s, but don't see the need at this time.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
These trucks need a regear after larger tires.
Even with a tune. 4.10 would be perfect for a 33. I have 32s and you can feel the difference on the freeway. My gas mileage has dropped about 2mpg as I’m having to use more throttle to maintain speed.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Anyone hear anything about this?

JB's Garage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
Originally, I was questioning 3:73 gearing, too. I can say, I'm running 33's now with no problem and no tune. However, I live in flat old Florida. We'll see how she does this Deer season in PA.
Sponsored