Having trouble updating Sync

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I found the thread below and have followed the instructions. Here is what I have done:

1. 8GB USB drive
2. Formatted exFAT
3. Went to Ford site and downloaded the new update to Windows computer.
4. Dragged and dropped this file onto the USB drive (site says the files will automatically unzip when doing this)
5. Took USB drive out to vehicle.
6. Started vehicle. Let run for a couple of minutes
7. Inserted USB drive into USB slot
8. Screen says it recognized my USB device
9. Screen said something else (maybe initializing - not sure)
10. Let truck run for 10 minutes and nothing was showing on the screen and no light was on the USB stick.

Questions:

1. What did I do wrong? Should I have unzipped the files before moving them over to the USB.
2. Does this take a certain type of USB stick?
3. When formatting for exFAT, I am assuming it wiped the USB clean. Is this correct?
4. How do you know the sync is updating when installed in the USB slot. I could have sat there for 45 minutes with the jeep running and have no idea if the update is occurring or if I'm just wasting time and gas.

So frustrating for us non techie types.

Oh, on the Ford page where they walk you through the update process, I can only get so far and the I get an error on the Ford site saying something went wrong. IT is right after I drag the files from my computer to the USB stick.

Thanks -

Mark
Sponsored

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I found the thread below and have followed the instructions. Here is what I have done:

1. 8GB USB drive
2. Formatted exFAT
3. Went to Ford site and downloaded the new update to Windows computer.
4. Dragged and dropped this file onto the USB drive (site says the files will automatically unzip when doing this)
5. Took USB drive out to vehicle.
6. Started vehicle. Let run for a couple of minutes
7. Inserted USB drive into USB slot
8. Screen says it recognized my USB device
9. Screen said something else (maybe initializing - not sure)
10. Let truck run for 10 minutes and nothing was showing on the screen and no light was on the USB stick.
It probably indexed the drive, which means you don't have the files on there correctly. You'll unzip the main file you download to the drive such that you have the autoinstall, the DONTINDX (or however that's named I forget the exact acronym off hand) and then the SyncMyRide folder with a series of gzip'd files within it are at the main (root) level. Don't put them in a separate folder, etc. Then plug it in and go.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I had the same problem, as mentioned unzip the files to the drive and it will work, that bit about dragging the file and it auto unzipping does not work.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I just did mine and I found that the files did not extract from the desktop to the thumb drive. I had to right click on the file I downloaded (I saved it to my desktop from Ford site), select "extract" from the menu, and then select the thumb drive as the destination. Once that was done the rest of the process was pretty easy and the available directions worked fine.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I just did mine and I found that the files did not extract from the desktop to the thumb drive. I had to right click on the file I downloaded (I saved it to my desktop from Ford site), select "extract" from the menu, and then select the thumb drive as the destination. Once that was done the rest of the process was pretty easy and the available directions worked fine.
Do go liking this yet, I haven’t started the truck since the update. Haha

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just completed the update.

Downloaded Zip file
Formatted USB drive exFat32
Unzipped/Extracted the zip file to the USB
Turned on the truck and inserted USB
"System Updating" about 10 minutes or so
Update Complete

Open USB files/click on SyncMyRide

Locate"sync_VY@ XXX Vehicle Vin" Upload to Ford so they know when the next update is due.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm now getting a pop-up about syncing a device. My phone is synced and I connect it via USB. Not sure after attempting to do whatever it is asking me to do.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm now getting a pop-up about syncing a device. My phone is synced and I connect it via USB. Not sure after attempting to do whatever it is asking me to do.
What build # did you update to?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Showing “19052_PRODUCT”
Probably that data services one then. Usually pairing the phone and accepting once gets rid of it. A couple others have also said they keep seeing this one at random too. Not sure why though.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Probably that data services one then. Usually pairing the phone and accepting once gets rid of it. A couple others have also said they keep seeing this one at random too. Not sure why though.
Here is the message I’m getting. Going to unpair my phone this evening and see if that gets rid of it.

9B4E3B0D-EF5B-4F75-9143-D22A04B28078.jpeg

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the message I’m getting. Going to unpair my phone this evening and see if that gets rid of it.

9B4E3B0D-EF5B-4F75-9143-D22A04B28078.jpeg
My phone is paired and I get that one but not all the time

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IIRC the times I noticed it were when I'd swap phones. So my wife would drive one day, then I'd jump in the next and it'd hook to my phone instead and the pop the pop-up. Do you use CarPlay? Might be because that disables the Bluetooth connection, or some timing thing. I don't recall seeing this very often at all in 3.4, so maybe there are some improvements baked in there when it becomes available.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I figured out my issue and it was just dumb luck.

The computer I was downloading the files to is a computer I am not allowed to transfer files off of. Any file saved on the computer and subsequently transferred to a thumb drive is encrypted. The computer the file came from can read it but any other device can’t. So, when I unzipped the file from the computer to the thumb drive it was encoded. Since the Ranger is not the original computer, it couldn’t get through the encryption.

Had my wife bring home a computer and got everything updated. Easy sneezy to do. Hate to think how much time I spent trying to figure this out.

Now to get Ford + Alexa onto the Ranger.

Lister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wildtrak
Guys, I still can't update the SYNC3. I have v3.0, dowloaded the newest version from Ford web, follow the steplist above and double check with the steplist on ford web... I update the SYNC3 which shows the message that update is completed and will start working after the following start. However, it does not. I disconnect the USB, turn the ignition off, lock the car, wait 2 minutes, open the car, turn the ignition on and I still have SYNC3 in v3.0. Tried this 3 times... I don't know what goes wrong.

edit: Wait... maybe the version on the ford web IS 3.0! How can I recognize which version it is? The zip file is named SYNC3_2807656394_Update.zip

edit2: Yep, it seems that my MY2019 can do only v3.0. v3.3 is probably only for MY2020+.
Sponsored

Last edited: