Disable fake engine noise

MadMartigan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
All I hear is a low clicking noise that revs up as I hit the gas. Hopefully that's normal but other than that I don't here anything except the occasional wind/whine sound sometimes with accelerating which I guess is the turbo.
Sponsored

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
All I hear is a low clicking noise that revs up as I hit the gas. Hopefully that's normal but other than that I don't here anything except the occasional wind/whine sound sometimes with accelerating which I guess is the turbo.
Yep, that clicking sound is normal (it's the direct injection pump) but I seriously hate it. That's my biggest beef about my Ranger!

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I thought I heard/read somewhere that Ford admitted there was some "enhancement" of the engine noise. It seems pretty subtle if it is there. Doesn't bother me.

For the comment on pulling a fuse to disable it, I believe that was a comment on the Focus ST - someone figured out if you pulled fuse "x" (not sure which one), it would disable the engine "enhancement". I think I also remember reading that if you do that, you lose the active noise cancellation that the car has (and the Ranger has as well, I believe). I think the active noise cancellation is a good thing, so I've never even looked into how to disable any engine "enhancement".
Yeah, I'm with you on the active noise cancellation.

mntbighker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
I would sure like to know the straight story on this. The way this worked on my GTI was a transducer attached to vibrate the windshield. I disabled it via OBD. At some point I need to get a reader/programmer for the new Ranger. With the VW I had basically one decent option. I'm guessing with the Ford there may be many.

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 5sp
There's been no confirmation we even have the fake engine noise.
I would sure like to know the straight story on this. The way this worked on my GTI was a transducer attached to vibrate the windshield. I disabled it via OBD. At some point I need to get a reader/programmer for the new Ranger. With the VW I had basically one decent option. I'm guessing with the Ford there may be many.
"With the EcoBoost engine we have both active noise cancellation and we also amplify the existing engine sound order," said Mustang chief engineer Dave Perciak.

However, he claims that instead of pushing completely fabricated sound through the stereo speakers, the car manufacturer simply amplifies the sound that is already there. "We don't create an artificial sound; we don't pluck one off the shelf; we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers," he added. ---
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/ne...gh-mustang-speakers-to-make-cars-sound-better

and

So in the ranger, it seems that they more or less electronically tune/modify the existing engine sound via the sound cancellation system to make it sound more like a 302.

I most definitely noticed the "enhanced" sound when I drove one.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Well, it's hardly noticeable. I don't get that weird disorienting effect like I did on the Fusion when it was still active and hearing the real exhaust at the same time. I think this one is a non issue for me.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Also mentioned by these guys at minute 26:20. I am only interested in this topic because I have a slight buzzing noise and I am wondering if it's part of that system. Sounds like the fuel injector click kinda but more like a helicopter or weed eater whenever I touch the accelerator even the tiniest bit. It sounds electronic to my ear but I have no idea really.

justspeed7

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Any updates on this? I have my truck currently at an audio shop and they are having issues due to the ANC has anybody tried this coding to disable it?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think everyone is chasing ghosts here. I doubt there is any engine sound enhancements in a Ranger. A Mustang, maybe but that's a different class of vehicle.

justspeed7

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think everyone is chasing ghosts here. I doubt there is any engine sound enhancements in a Ranger. A Mustang, maybe but that's a different class of vehicle.
Not sure if you read the above post but it certainly is active it amplifys sounds my truck subwoofer will play feedback at the moment if I tap the front door panels.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I honestly don't think we do. I can say for sure that I have never heard it.
I have never herd it either. Does the radio or sound system have to be ON or does it work (if it exists) like a chime??

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I have never herd it either. Does the radio or sound system have to be ON or does it work (if it exists) like a chime??
It's at least in the Lariat. It is mentioned and you can hear it in the video above.

I was worried about it but I have yet to hear it. Not sure if Android Auto disables tbe sound or not but its definitely a non issue thus far the few times I have got on the gas.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
I have an XLT loaner right now and it definitely exists when you have it floored and at high RPM. Sounds a lot like a V8, but we all know that the 4 banger doesn’t sound like that. Not sure I would prefer hearing the 4 cylinder unless the turbo and blowoff valve could actually be heard like my Mazdaspeed Miata.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
It's at least in the Lariat. It is mentioned and you can hear it in the video above.

I was worried about it but I have yet to hear it. Not sure if Android Auto disables tbe sound or not but its definitely a non issue thus far the few times I have got on the gas.
Those of us with SYNC (not SYNC-3) can NOT connect Android Auto. So I am thinking that, just maybe, those of us with SYNC do not have that sound issue. Any thoughts in this?

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Those of us with SYNC (not SYNC-3) can NOT connect Android Auto. So I am thinking that, just maybe, those of us with SYNC do not have that sound issue. Any thoughts in this?
Not sure. I suppose I should do a test and see if I can hear the sound with Android Auto connected (and listening to stuff through AA) and listening to the Radio with nothing connected. It sure was obvious in that video. @Jerry Caldwell had an XLT loaner, but not sure if it had a Sync-3 or Sync. Maybe some other folks with just regular Sync systems can weigh in.
Sponsored