BAKFLIP MX4 INSTALL

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Anyone experience leaks in the front corners during rain? Mine leaks quiet bad at both front corners. Around where your supposed to install the foam blocks.
Are you talking from the hole underneath the bed cap? Or the front corners where the cover and the cover rail meet? I live in the desert so I'm mostly concerned with dust right now but I was looking at the fit both in the rear and in front and I see holes at both ends that I could stick my pinky thru.

Pictures? I can compare to my cover and tell you if it looks any different.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of the first kits shipped by BakFlip. Didn't have the instructions for the shim strips...lol! So I never installed them. My rails sit flush and my clamps underneath are solid. Zero issues with the cover. No twisting I can see. Guess I got lucky with my install.
Yep...I got an early MX4 as well. Install when okay without the shims...then I found the bulkhead spacer in the bottom of the box and no instructions. Not hard to figure out how to install, but it required I take the whole thing apart again and install the bulkhead spacer...Arrrrrrrg! I let Bak know I was unhappy to not have an addendum added to the installation directions. Also, found a ton of aluminum machining chips in the pickup box after the install....had to vacuum them out of the spray bed liner. Twice! Overall, a nice product and I am happy with cover as well as the bed extemder.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering,
Ford Motor Co. - Retired

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
New rails came in. Still lots of aluminum shavings. These rails are matte instead of gloss (which match the bed rail caps) and the ends of the rails now have a rubbery cap to cover the aluminum ends and sits up against the tailgate. The prop rods are held by a much more secure clip then the first holder. The right rail is still a touch long due to the white plastic rail insert being 1/8" too long so it raises up a bit after closing the tailgate. Overall better fit.

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the info and pics.
I have a BAKFlipMX4 ordered and my Ranger in the carport.
Now to just get the doctor to remove the wrist brace so I can get on with my install!
Appointment on the 28th......

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I managed to install my cover with one hand. I removed all the shims from the rails and completed the installation. I didn't like the fit of the rail top seals to bed trim nor the clamp fitment.
got the use of both hands and reinstalled the rails after adding the shims back to the rails and making a slight modification to the clamps.
the instructions for the Ranger states the importance of fitting the clamps as high as possible on the grooved surface of the rail. The clamps will not go up to the top groove so I removed just enough metal from the clamp to allow the clamp to fully engage the top grooves. This allowed a better fit of the bed side of the clamp onto the tiny metal lip of the bed. With the shims in place and the clamps fully engaged, the clamps stayed straight and tightened down properly and the seals along the top fit better. Here's a before and after comparision of the clamps. Not much material is removed, I tried the fit until the clamp would slide in the grooves.
20190601_085510[1].jpg

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Update: I managed to install my cover with one hand. I removed all the shims from the rails and completed the installation. I didn't like the fit of the rail top seals to bed trim nor the clamp fitment.
got the use of both hands and reinstalled the rails after adding the shims back to the rails and making a slight modification to the clamps.
the instructions for the Ranger states the importance of fitting the clamps as high as possible on the grooved surface of the rail. The clamps will not go up to the top groove so I removed just enough metal from the clamp to allow the clamp to fully engage the top grooves. This allowed a better fit of the bed side of the clamp onto the tiny metal lip of the bed. With the shims in place and the clamps fully engaged, the clamps stayed straight and tightened down properly and the seals along the top fit better. Here's a before and after comparision of the clamps. Not much material is removed, I tried the fit until the clamp would slide in the grooves.
20190601_085510[1].jpg
Gene
Thanks a million for this tip. I installed mine which was an absolute pain. Then I read this tip. Removed each one trimmed and reinstalled = fit perfect. Would have saved me an hour if I read this first. Thank you so much. Mad at myself for not thinking of it. A little off made all the difference.

Stan McKinney

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger,
Gene
Thanks a million for this tip. I installed mine which was an absolute pain. Then I read this tip. Removed each one trimmed and reinstalled = fit perfect. Would have saved me an hour if I read this first. Thank you so much. Mad at myself for not thinking of it. A little off made all the difference.
Had mine installed today. My installer had a few issues but got it done. I think one of the prop roads may me on backwards.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
New rails came in. Still lots of aluminum shavings. These rails are matte instead of gloss (which match the bed rail caps) and the ends of the rails now have a rubbery cap to cover the aluminum ends and sits up against the tailgate. The prop rods are held by a much more secure clip then the first holder. The right rail is still a touch long due to the white plastic rail insert being 1/8" too long so it raises up a bit after closing the tailgate. Overall better fit.
Do you have a picture of the rubber cap on the end rails at the tailgate? Mine did not come with anything.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
20190601_085510[1].jpg
Hi,

I have serious concerns with this mod It compromises the engagement of the pinch weld flange. I wonder if there will be loosening over time. I had no trouble with my install with no clamp mod.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi,

I have serious concerns with this mod It compromises the engagement of the pinch weld flange. I wonder if there will be loosening over time. I had no trouble with my install with no clamp mod.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
This mod increases the contact with the pinch weld flange and allows the clamps to fully engage with the rail. Works perfect. Clamps kept trying to flip out before. 1/16” is all it takes.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This mod increases the contact with the pinch weld flange and allows the clamps to fully engage with the rail. Works perfect. Clamps kept trying to flip out before. 1/16” is all it takes.
The groovei n the clamp for a reason. By not using the groove it may cause the clamp to slip in a vibratory environment. the clamp forces are not opposed, thus createng a moment which could exrbate the loosening.

Glad this works for you...good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The first rails were just raw, unfinished CNC cut aluminum ends which is probably what you have. These ones have that thin rubber bumper piece. Its enough to not gouge the tailgate but not sturdy against any sort of torsion

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes mine are raw cut. Luck of the draw I guess.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Mine OEM did not have end caps either, I used silicone. Just put some where the end caps go, cover with wax paper. Shut the tail gate and cover and let dry, then remove wax paper. The reason for the wax paper is so that u do not glue the pieces together. Easy to do and you can get clear, or colored.
Sponsored