Spring /bag/shock changes for tounge weight?

ulev1st

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC FX4 ,2012 F250 Lariat FX4, 2017 Shelby GT350, 14 Ford Focus
Occupation
Retire Marine and Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone who tows on a regular basis that is "pushing the envelope" for tongue weight using any sort of air bags or air shocks to help the "SQUAT"? If so what are you using and where did you find/purchase them? Thanks
Sponsored

Airwelldone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport: 2017 Fiesta ST
Is anyone who tows on a regular basis that is "pushing the envelope" for tongue weight using any sort of air bags or air shocks to help the "SQUAT"? If so what are you using and where did you find/purchase them? Thanks
I hope to use SuperSprings/SumoSprings in the near future. I spoke with their lead engineer and they hope to have a kit out soon.
I used the Sumos on my ‘14 Silverado and it was level with 2500lbs in the bed.
Right now with only 450lb tongue weight and a 300lb motorcycle in the bed of the Ranger, it’s nose high, so I look forward to installing the Sumos

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I really suggest a weight distributing hitch. I know it isn't required but I can't emphasize enough about how much they can improve the towing experience. It isn't just the sag but the ability of it to help put weight back on the steering end of things. They help reduce that bottoming feel when the rear goes over big dips too. Even for moderate loads in the 3k to 4k range they can make you wonder why you never used one before.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have a roughly 4000# trailer, I have no idea what the tongue weight is, but the ranger squatted about 2" more without the bars installed than with. I have it set for a 24" ball height as the camper dealership had suggested was the correct height. I figure once I get some gear in the truck, everything will be level, and perfect.

Reactions: Doc

mark Johnson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
I hope to use SuperSprings/SumoSprings in the near future. I spoke with their lead engineer and they hope to have a kit out soon.
I used the Sumos on my ‘14 Silverado and it was level with 2500lbs in the bed.
Right now with only 450lb tongue weight and a 300lb motorcycle in the bed of the Ranger, it’s nose high, so I look forward to installing the Sumos
Interesting... because I have 600lb in the bed and 650lb tongue(6k pound Airstream) and my ranger seems level. But will add airbags to help with load sway, when they become available.

Airwelldone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport: 2017 Fiesta ST
Interesting... because I have 600lb in the bed and 650lb tongue(6k pound Airstream) and my ranger seems level. But will add airbags to help with load sway, when they become available.
Geeze... do you have any pictures of your setup? I can most certainly crank up my WD hitch and go up another link, but here it is with my lighter 225lb bike in the bed.

744D4E25-0B77-4888-A6FF-5B847D2CE459.jpeg

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Geeze... do you have any pictures of your setup? I can most certainly crank up my WD hitch and go up another link, but here it is with my lighter 225lb bike in the bed.

744D4E25-0B77-4888-A6FF-5B847D2CE459.jpeg
I think another link is a good call. The WD bars should be parallel with the trailer tongue when properly set up if... I remember correctly.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't towed yet with mine, but plan to pretty much max it out with a flatbed and my 4x4 on it. I had air bags on my two previous trucks. A '05 f-150 and '01 f-250. The 150, because of pretty close to the same setup, but truck was leveled in the front. The 250 the same setup too, but had a huge truck camper in the bed too.

Deleted member 773

Hellwig Products will have a kit out soon for the ranger, they borrowed my truck last week and measured/mocked up a setup for airbags, I’ll know Monday when they will be releasing it.
Sponsored