Gap when Tailgate is Closed

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
I looked at that and thought it was to narrow. Put this on today. More photos in my garage

3A7E3FBF-610F-48DC-AD79-300640B089D0.jpeg

F5669383-6155-4E07-B878-E4305B845EE4.jpeg

BC5869D3-37E1-4031-B115-36DCFA084078.jpeg
There is something odd in the second picture. Is the tailgate side not glued yet? If so, where does the excess fold when glued? Inside the crack ?
Sponsored

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
There is something odd in the second picture. Is the tailgate side not glued yet? If so, where does the excess fold when glued? Inside the crack ?
Tailgate side does not have tape on it so it is not stuck down. So far it seems to work. If it becomes an issue I will add some tape to that side. But if I do you could not remove the tailgate.

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
Tailgate side does not have tape on it so it is not stuck down. So far it seems to work. If it becomes an issue I will add some tape to that side. But if I do you could not remove the tailgate.
I see! I wonder what will happen when the Bobcat at the garden center dumps mulch or compost on the bed. If it falls by the tailgate, it could push the seal away from the tailgate.
As far as removing the tailgate, I have never done it nor even thought about it in twenty five years with F150s. What would be a reason to do so?

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see! I wonder what will happen when the Bobcat at the garden center dumps mulch or compost on the bed. If it falls by the tailgate, it could push the seal away from the tailgate.
As far as removing the tailgate, I have never done it nor even thought about it in twenty five years with F150s. What would be a reason to do so?
I did remove mine on my F150. I do not remember what it was doing . As far as the dumping. I get my filled with tailgate up. So I see no issue there

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Installed the Extang Maxseal today. Not a total seal but I think it will keep most dirt out. Like others I have it about 1/8” or so from the edge of the tail light. I put the bottom on the tailgate. There are some gaps at the hinges but I will probably leave that alone.

Jimiv123

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, FX4, Sport Package, Magnetic
Occupation
IT Grunt
I used a double seal on the tailgate, It is completely waterproof. Like most vehicles, the rear gets dirty fast and all that can get inside the bed. Since we carry musical instruments, I need a dry bed.

unnamed (24).jpg
SubVet, just curious. Did you require extra footage to do this? If not, have long was this seal? Thx in advance!

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
I looked at that and thought it was to narrow. Put this on today. More photos in my garage

3A7E3FBF-610F-48DC-AD79-300640B089D0.jpeg

F5669383-6155-4E07-B878-E4305B845EE4.jpeg

BC5869D3-37E1-4031-B115-36DCFA084078.jpeg
It has been over a month since you installed the GAPSHIELD. Is the glue holding on?

I have seen a feedback from a buyer complaining that the tape came off the shield, staying firmly on the bed, so the shield came off. That tells me the rubber side tape application at the factory was incorrect.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It has been over a month since you installed the GAPSHIELD. Is the glue holding on?

I have seen a feedback from a buyer complaining that the tape came off the shield, staying firmly on the bed, so the shield came off. That tells me the rubber side tape application at the factory was incorrect.
No issue here. I did clean it prior to install. I have found that unless I an hauling lose materials. I tuck it down under the tail gate. no leaks :)

tny

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat 4x4
No issue here. I did clean it prior to install. I have found that unless I an hauling lose materials. I tuck it down under the tail gate. no leaks :)
What the guy said is that it failed between tape and seal, which if it is 3M ST1200, is thermally activated and is glued at the factory. The two sided tape stayed glued to the truck, while the rubber seal came loose from the other side of the tape. So it was not a end user install problem, like dirt on the truck, but a factory problem.

About tucking it down, that is interesting, but doesn't the cable crossing in the middle of the gap get in the way? Could you post a picture of the tailgate down with the seal tucked in?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has a tailgate seal:
  1. Which one did you install?
  2. How is it holding up?
  3. Does it keep dirt/dust/water out of the back of your bed?
Thanks!

Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired UPS Driver
Hey guys, Does anyone have a bigger gap on the top part of your tailgate? (between the tailgate sides and the rear quarter panels) Has anyone adjusted the latches to tighten the gap?
Sponsored