355 Miles and a Check Engine Light... Argh!

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Or it could be that they changed the pulse width for the injectors by diddling the PCM code because some injectors don't respond quite as fast as others (or vice-versa)....???.
Maybe that would explain the pronounced hesitation I was feeling at low speeds before it threw the bad injector code.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Or it could be that they changed the pulse width for the injectors by diddling the PCM code because some injectors don't respond quite as fast as others (or vice-versa)....???.
Could be - I write software for a living and it never ceases to amaze me how intricate and complex the new engine PCMs (and all the associated sensors, etc) are.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Could be - I write software for a living and it never ceases to amaze me how intricate and complex the new engine PCMs (and all the associated sensors, etc) are.
I’m starting to understand the computer world is much larger and more complicatedly related then my poor pea brain can even fathom. Thank goodness there are folks like you to help guys like me survive in these ultra high tech times. I tip my hat to you sir.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I’m starting to understand the computer world is much larger and more complicatedly related then my poor pea brain can even fathom. Thank goodness there are folks like you to help guys like me survive in these ultra high tech times. I tip my hat to you sir.
The more you know about technology, the more you realize how much you DON'T know. It is becoming more complex every year. Some days I'm amazed things work at all.... :)

Reactions: Ric
OP
OP
DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
My service advisor just called and said my Ranger is ready to be picked up so I'll get it after work. They replaced an injector and loaded the TSB software update. 4 days in the shop wasn't too bad. Good luck to everyone else and I hope the issue is fixed for good!

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
My service advisor just called and said my Ranger is ready to be picked up so I'll get it after work. They replaced an injector and loaded the TSB software update. 4 days in the shop wasn't too bad. Good luck to everyone else and I hope the issue is fixed for good!
I’m at day 15 in the shop. I called this morning and was told I may get it back today. I’m not counting on that. Very disappointed.

Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I’m at day 15 in the shop. I called this morning and was told I may get it back today. I’m not counting on that. Very disappointed.
dang, hope you get it back soon.

I wound up going up and test driving other rangers, and found out the noise I'm hearing on hard acceleration is not present in other trucks. So it gets to go back into the shop Thursday to be checked. They didn't see anything visually wrong, but will go over everything they did on tear down for the injector.

Gilstein21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Light came back on today at 550 miles. Pretty sure the software update will fix it since operation seems fine

OP
OP
DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point it's your dealership's fault more then Ford for taking that long. Granted the software update just dropped yesterday, but my dealer started on Tuesday morning, had parts overnighted by Wednesday and had it all back together by Thursday. They did the software update this morning and had it all washed up and ready for pickup by 3 PM today. Maybe it's just the difference of South Dakota vs. California with moving fast getting things fixed. ;)There's a reason I stick with my dealer. A service advisor who's been in the same job at the same dealer for 30 years, free loaners, etc. Anyhow good luck! I'm sure you'll have it soon. I was so happy to drive mine again. Even after 4 days I forgot how much I like this little truck.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Pick up my lariat last night. Awesome truck but I got home from dealer and now with 30 miles on it my check engine light is on.Im sure its no big deal,we will see next week.

Gilstein21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Had the tsb done and the light went off .... for a day. It’s back on and the delearship is asking Ford what to do next since tsb didn’t work. I have a feeling it’s a loose connection somewhere on the injector circuit or a short bc I don’t notice any drop in performance and my gas mileage is slightly improving. I was hoping the tsb would fix it so they didn’t have to open the engine.

OP
OP
DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the tsb done and the light went off .... for a day. It’s back on and the delearship is asking Ford what to do next since tsb didn’t work. I have a feeling it’s a loose connection somewhere on the injector circuit or a short bc I don’t notice any drop in performance and my gas mileage is slightly improving. I was hoping the tsb would fix it so they didn’t have to open the engine.
I think several people with the CEL coming on have still needed an injector replaced even with the TSB software applied. I’m guessing if the injector isn’t too far off of spec the TSB might fix it, but if it’s beyond that it’ll need to be replaced. I had the injector replaced before the TSB was applied so I’ll never know if only the TSB would have fixed it. I believe Ford is just hoping that the TSB will fix the “sort of” ok ones. I noticed no driveability issues even with the bad injector. It might be bad, but not bad enough to make the engine run poorly.

Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Sorry the TSB didn't fix it for you, up next should be the full injector replacement. Assuming the CEL is for the same code and not something new.

I didn't have the TSB but did have my #2 injector replaced. I haven't had a repeat of the CEL since and I've put around 500 additional miles on the truck. Few other things going on, the "whoosh" noise wound up being a missing o-ring in the turbo. (Ordering parts.)

And here today I've had two occurrences of hesitation shifting in low speeds. But not a repeat of the CEL. :)
Sponsored