Portable DIY Winch with stand for 2019 Ford Ranger XL with 6' bed.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Portable DIY Winch with stand for 2019 Ford Ranger XL with 6' bed.

I was in need of a "portable" winch which does not attach to the truck bed and I couldn't find one so I did a DIY portable winch stand/table for the Ranger.

The winch, with stand, was designed with a height clearance that will just fit under any Ranger Tonneau cover for security protection.
I am using this portable winch in pulling and retracting small machinery and lawn tractors in the Ranger truck bed of less than 1000 pounds.
Long, heavy duty jumper cables are attached to the trucks battery that supplies the needed 12 VDC/amps for the portable winch. The winch stand is chained to two of the load tiedown points on the Ranger.

The construction of the portable winch table was from 1/4" (A36) steel plate, 1 1/2" x 1/2" (A36) steel bars and 1/2" steel rods - all welded together by a local welding shop. The table was then sand blasted and painted with a black epoxy paint.

Winch mfg.: WARN 2000 Winch - Part # 92000 (with corded remote control) ~ $100
(This is not a Warn endorsement but other vendors can be found but check their duty cycle of the cheaper winch brands and you will probably have to wait long durations between loading and unloading cycles!)

Notes:
a. Proper safety equipment, extreme care and safety precautions should be taken when operating any winch - it could kill or maim you or destroy your Ranger!
b. The Ranger's aluminum tailgate maximum load limit is 485 pounds and any greater load - the light aluminum tailgate can be easily removed.
c. Load tiedown points are used to tiedown the winch stand are rated at 661 pounds each.
d. Use a winch "snatch block" to attached to the machinery reduces the pulling load by 50%. (it also slows the pulling/retracting speed by 50%)
e. Folding aluminum ramps (1500# rating) with secure nylon tiedowns are necessary for proper machinery non-slip loading into the truck bed.
f. Current draw on the winch is dependent on the pulling/retracting load (in my case 40 amps max.) Use inline winch fusing to protect the electrical system of the Ranger.
g. Different truck model trims have different load limits - see your maximum load limits on your driver's door jam.
h. Maximum load limit for "my XL model" truck is ~ 1832 pounds and this "does not" include any passengers and other added accessories.
i. Jumper cables are 4 gauge / 500 amp for the portable winch with stand/table.
j. Other winch applications include pulling "hunted" deer, "beef on the hoof", motorcycles and small ATVs into the Ranger truck bed.
:)
Sponsored

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Winch with stand picture(s) on a "Carolina Duralina" plywood truck bed protector.

Winch_1.JPG

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So is the only thing holding the winch to the truck those chains to the tie downs? Hence the 1000 lb weight limit? (plus the winch size)

Even though I only got stuck once, I keep thinking a winch might be a good "just in case" thing. Maybe a hitch receiver would be better for me though.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So is the only thing holding the winch to the truck those chains to the tie downs? Hence the 1000 lb weight limit? (plus the winch size)
Each Ranger tie point is good for 661# but the Warn 2000 is good for 2000#. At 2000 pounds the battery current draw would be horrendous. Again, using a "snatch block" will reduce the load by 50%.;)
This application is for only small pieces of machinery. In your application, try using a "BadLand" winch from Harbor Freight and mount it on your front bumper or third party bumper/guard.;)

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Each Ranger tie point is good for 661# but the Warn 2000 is good for 2000#. At 2000 pounds the battery current draw would be horrendous. Again, using a "snatch block" will reduce the load by 50%.;)
This application is for only small pieces of machinery. In your application, try using a "BadLand" winch from Harbor Freight and mount it on your front bumper or third party bumper/guard.;)
I had been looking at the BadLand winches from HF - If I ever do it, I will probably use a receiver mount on the rear hitch receiver. That would get me out of any jam I might encounter without having to have it permanently mounted.

Great ingenious setup you fabricated! I love seeing stuff like this - thanks for posting.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For the very cost conscious Ranger users just eliminate the power winch on the table/stand and replace it with a lower capacity (900#) manual hand strap winch for only ~$25 from Harbor Freight. (Haul-Master®- item# 95541) Please note: The winch table/stand provides "an angle" in which to pull items, using ramps, into the truck bed.;)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Emergency! Emergency! Emergency!
My nephew just broke my carburetor on my John Deere tractor. The John Deere dealer wanted to charge me "only" $160 for pickup and drop off of my JD tractor. My DIY, portable, winch/stand along with my 2019 Ford "Lone Ranger", with 6 foot bed, came to the rescue. I just threw the winch stand towards the front, chained it down and hooked up the jumper cables to the main battery. Adjusted the folding ramps with tiedowns and "put the hook" to the tractor and reeled it in the pickup bed.(see pic below)

BTW - This if the first time that I reeled something in my Ranger truck bed without hearing the sound of "Moo". :LOL:

Win_act_1.JPG

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Emergency! Emergency! Emergency!
My nephew just broke my carburetor on my John Deere tractor. The John Deere dealer wanted to charge me "only" $160 for pickup and drop off of my JD tractor. My DIY, portable, winch/stand along with my 2019 Ford "Lone Ranger", with 6 foot bed, came to the rescue. I just threw the winch stand towards the front, chained it down and hooked up the jumper cables to the main battery. Adjusted the folding ramps with tiedowns and "put the hook" to the tractor and reeled it in the pickup bed.(see pic below)

BTW - This if the first time that I reeled something in my Ranger truck bed without hearing the sound of "Moo". :LOL:

Win_act_1.JPG
Looks like it’s working well for you! By the way, love the sticker on the JD!
Sponsored