Any Scuttlebutt on Towing mph?

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Has anyone heard what the gas mileage on the new Ranger drops down to when towing? We are currently towing 5200#s with a 2010 Raptor and get 10 mph (which I understand isn't bad). I'm thinking the Ranger would get better fuel mileage but wondered if anyone has heard real life numbers yet. We might just have to add another Ranger to the stable (we currently have a '95).
I got 12 mpg this weekend hauling a 6100 lb RV at 55-60 mph
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
It will be interesting to see what I get pulling this trailer. With the 'wing in the back it is around 3000#. I got just over 11mpg in my wife's 2013 F-150 when we went to South Dakota in 2016.

Scarlett's Ride.jpg
What is the size of your trailer? I am planning on getting a 7X16 cargo trailer. Need the volume, not a lot of weight.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I'm liking that Scamp camper trailer you have Floyd.

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
Back from the dead

I see nowhere near double digits in fuel mileage while towing. Granted today’s conditions were extreme (20mph headwind), but for my 140 mile trip I averaged 7, yes that’s right, 7mpg at about 60mph average. I had to fuel up at 120 miles with about 15 miles left to empty

I made this same trip about a month ago and averaged about 11mpg, with a significant tailwind. This is with a Forest River camper that weighs in about 4900lbs loaded (and this is one with a rounded front)
Gotta say I’m pretty disappointed. Thinking of going back to a 5.0 powered f150.

Only mods are 275/65/17 copper alll terrain tires and the dss sliders and a 2.5” front end lift. Fwiw those tires are 1” taller than the original tires.

These numbers aren’t hand calculated so they’re probably even worse.

I figured fuel mileage is actually 1.03% better than calculated since it travels a tiny bit further then what the speedometer indicates because of the 1” taller tires.

anyway that kind of mileage just isn’t sustainable, especially with a 18 gallon tank. I love my ranger, but I think I’m going to trade it in.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Back from the dead

I see nowhere near double digits in fuel mileage while towing. Granted today’s conditions were extreme (20mph headwind), but for my 140 mile trip I averaged 7, yes that’s right, 7mpg at about 60mph average. I had to fuel up at 120 miles with about 15 miles left to empty

I made this same trip about a month ago and averaged about 11mpg, with a significant tailwind. This is with a Forest River camper that weighs in about 4900lbs loaded (and this is one with a rounded front)
Gotta say I’m pretty disappointed. Thinking of going back to a 5.0 powered f150.

Only mods are 275/65/17 copper alll terrain tires and the dss sliders and a 2.5” front end lift. Fwiw those tires are 1” taller than the original tires.

These numbers aren’t hand calculated so they’re probably even worse.

I figured fuel mileage is actually 1.03% better than calculated since it travels a tiny bit further then what the speedometer indicates because of the 1” taller tires.

anyway that kind of mileage just isn’t sustainable, especially with a 18 gallon tank. I love my ranger, but I think I’m going to trade it in.
Wife and I were looking at larger trailers over the summer after some really frustrating weather conditions on a trip with our teardrop. One we were looking hard at was WELL within the Ranger's towing capacity, but it had a LOT of frontal area. Yeah, it was sorta rounded, but it had a LOT of frontal area, most of which was not directly blocked by the truck itself.

Take a look in the manual for the Ranger. It mentions frontal area as an important factor in towing. Of course, camper manufacturers usually don't offer that spec, so you have to calculate it out. Yours is not the first report I've seen of sub-10mpg fuel economy when towing larger campers, and it's a big reason why I'm going to be staying far away from anything with a lot of frontal area.

I'm staying with the teardrop for now. I get 20+mpg while towing it, even in the mtns. What I have my eyes on when I decide to upgrade is something in the Scamp/Casita/Oliver neighborhood.

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
Wife and I were looking at larger trailers over the summer after some really frustrating weather conditions on a trip with our teardrop. One we were looking hard at was WELL within the Ranger's towing capacity, but it had a LOT of frontal area. Yeah, it was sorta rounded, but it had a LOT of frontal area, most of which was not directly blocked by the truck itself.

Take a look in the manual for the Ranger. It mentions frontal area as an important factor in towing. Of course, camper manufacturers usually don't offer that spec, so you have to calculate it out. Yours is not the first report I've seen of sub-10mpg fuel economy when towing larger campers, and it's a big reason why I'm going to be staying far away from anything with a lot of frontal area.

I'm staying with the teardrop for now. I get 20+mpg while towing it, even in the mtns. What I have my eyes on when I decide to upgrade is something in the Scamp/Casita/Oliver neighborhood.
I don’t consider this a large camper. It’s 7.5’ wide and the box is only 18ft, but apparently like you said, the footprint is enough larger than the truck that mileage is just horrifying. I really like this truck, but we plan to do a fair amount of traveling. I just don’t see this working out.
image.jpg
Sponsored