Sponsored

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
People are lifting their Rangers now so I would think that lowering should also be possible. Sorry, not a whole lot of help.

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
People are lifting their Rangers now so I would think that lowering should also be possible. Sorry, not a whole lot of help.
I’m a drag racer and I have to get it lowered..I have a guy here that might be able to do it , but I’m waiting to see what control arms he comes up with ...also the driveshaft has to be cut correctly to maintain proper pinion angle also rear coil overs .I’m talking about a 6x4 lower...this is not a daily driver..I want to see if I can smoke some ecoboost mustangs at our local drag strip..mine is a 2wd with a locker..so we will see !

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Dang, Doc that's hard core.

I thought maybe you just wanted to dropped it a few inches. Reduce the wheel gap a bit. Make it easier to get in and out of the cab for an older geezer (like me). I was toying with the idea you might have meant Cheech and Chong low rider lowered. Instead you mean drag racer lowered, haha! Some serious stuff for a brand new truck.

More power to ya, Doc. Post pics please when you get it sorted.

Reactions: Doc

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping a simple rear flip kit, while maintaining the correct geometry, will work for the rear and maybe a coil over for the front to get the front down an inch lower than the front. I don't know of any suspension shops near me that could tackle such a task.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I'm actually holding off on getting a Ranger a little longer until I see if anything like this developes. I just don't like the jacked up feel, high load height and sloppy handling.

I do have some local shops that could come up with something but couldn't leave the truck with anyone for a week or two while they figure it out. If something comes up for work I would need the truck that day.

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Dang, Doc that's hard core.

I thought maybe you just wanted to dropped it a few inches. Reduce the wheel gap a bit. Make it easier to get in and out of the cab for an older geezer (like me). I was toying with the idea you might have meant Cheech and Chong low rider lowered. Instead you mean drag racer lowered, haha! Some serious stuff for a brand new truck.

More power to ya, Doc. Post pics please when you get it sorted.
A 4” by 6” drop will put you about 1/2 “ above the tires and still adjustable..and lol old geezer I’m 68!...(results may vary with tire height)

Last edited:

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I was just out looking at mine. I'm fine with the front height even if it's a bit tall for a 4x2 but the rear is a good 3" taller than the front. I wouldn't mind dropping the rear about 2" to level it out and remove some of the extra gap. The front of the leafs won't come down any (I think I've seen pics in another thread before I got my truck and it looks the same live) but the shackles in the rear look like there might be an inch or maybe 2 in them. I'm wondering if shorter shackles to replace the stock ones might do the trick.

My first thought was that it might be too close to the frame and that when the springs compressed the shackles would move back and forth but then I noticed the hitch is really close to the shackles and so it can't really move that far.

I think I'm going to see if I can have a parts guy look up the stock shackles. Maybe I can cut them down, put a hole in them and replace the longer stock ones.

Does this sound loonie?

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I was just out looking at mine. I'm fine with the front height even if it's a bit tall for a 4x2 but the rear is a good 3" taller than the front. I wouldn't mind dropping the rear about 2" to level it out and remove some of the extra gap. The front of the leafs won't come down any (I think I've seen pics in another thread before I got my truck and it looks the same live) but the shackles in the rear look like there might be an inch or maybe 2 in them. I'm wondering if shorter shackles to replace the stock ones might do the trick.

My first thought was that it might be too close to the frame and that when the springs compressed the shackles would move back and forth but then I noticed the hitch is really close to the shackles and so it can't really move that far.

I think I'm going to see if I can have a parts guy look up the stock shackles. Maybe I can cut them down, put a hole in them and replace the longer stock ones.

Does this sound loonie?
I think a flip kit will be the way to go, and it it's too low, you could make some shackles to bring it up to your desired height. Not much room (I've only seen pics on here) for adjusting the stock shackles....kind of a waste of time for just a half inch, IMO. Maybe some coil-overs for the front (if needed). I'm going to talk to my cousin (engineer) to see what he thinks....he works for Chrysler, but I'm sure he'd take a look at it.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I think a flip kit will be the way to go, and it it's too low, you could make some shackles to bring it up to your desired height. Not much room (I've only seen pics on here) for adjusting the stock shackles....kind of a waste of time for just a half inch, IMO. Maybe some coil-overs for the front (if needed). I'm going to talk to my cousin (engineer) to see what he thinks....he works for Chrysler, but I'm sure he'd take a look at it.
I think (maybe I hope:)) that it's more than 1/2 in out of shortening the shackles as I'm just hoping to get less of a rake out of the stock setup.

I agree that a flip kit is the way to go if one wants any more than a couple of inches. As a matter of fact, I'm kind of surprised the stock 2WD doesn't have the axle on top of the springs. Seems odd but maybe it simplifies things and costs less to just mount the axle the same on both. I'm interested in what your cousin says. I'm not sure I'm super excited about doing major surgery on the front as I like the height though if it were an inch or two lower in the front I wouldn't mind. To me, one can get that by just cutting some of the coil spring.
Sponsored