Trailer Haul Button

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 301A
I have been going through the manual and I didn't find anything that described this button?

What does it do and when do you need to engage it? Is their a rule of thumb on how much the trailer and load weights? Do you really need it for a utility trailer hauling an ATV?

Thanks!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It holds higher RPM, changes the shift points, allows the engine to brake a little, and possibly changes throttle map (linear vs progressive throttle)

Other than that, I don't have a source with the exact details. I'd be using it if you are towing anything in a trailer that has or is supposed to have brakes on it. (that's my rule really)

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
It holds higher RPM, changes the shift points, allows the engine to brake a little, and possibly changes throttle map (linear vs progressive throttle)

Other than that, I don't have a source with the exact details. I'd be using it if you are towing anything in a trailer that has or is supposed to have brakes on it. (that's my rule really)
Beat me to it. I have it in my RV. It sits on a Ford E-350 chassis and it's definitely noticeable when enabled. Definitely should use it when towing just about anything with some heft to it.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Dan, it is listed on p148 under Transmission...

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

It actually seems to act like some weird version of a jake brake, using the gearing and motor to slow the vehicle down hills. It also changes how it shifts and such.

Peter DB

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I spent an hour digging through the manual about this button. Thanks, on the left side of p149. Describes how it changes the shifting. My 2008 F250 has this and it seems to work the same on the new Ranger.
I just bought a 2020 Ranger, had the same question, saw these posts about pages 148-9, looked through my manual and found that the info is on page 158 of the 2020 manual. Thanks for the help

2ndrger

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Yeah... This was the only thread that helped me... Check pg 162 (under transmission) for the 2022 manual.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Put simple the tow haul mode should be used when towing and/or hauling stuff in the bed.

Also it can help in normal driving condition without a load in hills and mountains.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I drive with tow mode on exclusively.

I don't tow anything though.

I also lock out gear 8,9, and 10 when not on an interstate route.

My gas mileage increased by doing this.

These transmissions suck when it comes to lugging.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
You also have a fair amount of weight added with bigger tires so you have fair reason too
This is true, but its more coincidental than anything. 10 speeds in this truck on anything but perfectly flat land sucks ass for everyone but Billy Bob the boomer who merges on interstate routes at 50mph.

Edit: I did haul 800lbs of concrete today though. haha

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I drive with tow mode on exclusively.

I don't tow anything though.

I also lock out gear 8,9, and 10 when not on an interstate route.

My gas mileage increased by doing this.

These transmissions suck when it comes to lugging.
^This for me as well. Makes a significant difference in how the truck drives, both when I was untuned and with FP tune…

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
In tow mode the trans hits every gear on the way up and down (i.e. no skipped gears) to maximize engine torque/pulling power under acceleration and engine braking under deceleration. You can confirm this in tow mode by tapping the shift button once to illuminate the gear changes.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I daily drive with tow mode on too, no trans temp issues even in the Vegas summers. Love how it shifts (doesn't skip gears and no lugging when cruising), disabled auto off at stop and the downshifts are nice.
Sponsored