Effect of start/stop on turbo?

Fordmandan87

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, FX4, leveled
I'm curious what will happen in the long term with the stop start system turning the engine off after coming to a stop with a hot engine?
Sponsored

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
That's a good question. At bare minimum, it incurs unnecessary wear and tear on the starter but I have to think it puts more stress on other parts of the engine. I honestly hate everything about the auto start/stop feature. I installed the auto start/stop eliminator and have not looked back.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If only the engineers at Ford could have thought of this. :facepalm:

Two answers: first, the cooling system is sized for towing 7000+ pounds up a mountain in 100 degree heat--it isn't stressed driving around town; second, the start stop system considers factors like temperature, and also has a maximum time it will remain off.

Some people really hate stop/start, I don't really notice it except to note that it actually does improve mpgs around town.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Should be minimal for normal driving since the turbo is liquid cooled. Little risk of bearing coking using synthetic oil. Towing is different story but A.S.S. should automatically be disabled when in Tow/Haul mode (at least it does on the F150). With that said I did disable A.S.S. on my truck.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The system also cycles coolant, and possibly oil when the engine is off (I think I read there is an electric coolant and oil pump). I can also hear liquid in the dash moving around when the truck is stopped at a light and off.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Good question on the turbo. Something I had not thought of yet. Supposedly the stop / start will not happen in situations like climate control is working hard to heat or cool the cab. Engine has been worked hard and needs the cooling. Same as if engine is cold and needs to be brought up to temp. Or if you are in sport or tow haul mode.

The engine will also restart to regulate engine or cabin temp and to prevent too much drain on the battery with headlights on or stereo playing, etc. Besides, the engine should not be off for too long a time with stop / start anyway - a stop light duration or stop / go traffic. Not like it would be if you powered down at the end of a trip. The oil system also remains pressurized and coolant is circulated..

I've also read that the turbo is a Garrett (possibly?) ball bearing liquid cooled setup. Someone able to confirm this? I see another mentioned liquid cooled turbo. Oil coking like in an oil bearing turbo should not be an issue in this situation. Another reason why I only use full synthetic oil. I let my engine idle a bit for turbo spool down before turning off and don't heat up the turbo with heavy footed driving in the last half mile or so before I park.

I see a lot of people make comments here and other places about the auto stop / start system being hard on the battery or starter. From what I have read they do not use a normal old school style starter. They use one that has been designed and engineered to be used in an auto stop / start situation. It can handle the extra starts that it will see so it gets no more wear on it than what it has been spec'ed for. I agree that a normal starter most likely would see a reduced life if used like this.

I don't have my truck yet and only going by what I have read or watched in videos so far. Take my ramblings with a grain of salt. I seen it on the interwebs so it must be true, haha.

MHRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
That's a good question. At bare minimum, it incurs unnecessary wear and tear on the starter but I have to think it puts more stress on other parts of the engine. I honestly hate everything about the auto start/stop feature. I installed the auto start/stop eliminator and have not looked back.
I did the same! One of the best things I've added to the truck.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Auto start stop seems to be making a real difference in mpg. Love it.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I would think prolonged idling would be harder on the turbo.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Other than the fact that the stop/start seems to take effect REALLY quick when stopping, I really don't have any issues with it. The engine starts back up really fast. It would be nice to maybe have a short delay. I've come up to lights or been in stop and go traffic and literally stopped and then had to almost immediately start up again. If it didn't stop until you were stopped for a second or something I think that would be better. Or better yet, have a configurable delay before stopping (like the headlight off delay)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Auto start stop seems to be making a real difference in mpg. Love it.
Probably much more effective in city/suburb traffic.
In country and small town America it is probably practically useless.
I do wish it had a check mark on the productivity screen.
If it gets annoying I might consider that device to reverse the switch function.
Does it then read off when it means on? or does the light just stay lit all the time?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Very annoying so I hit the off button after starting up.
I have it on both my vehicles.:headbang:

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
those who don't mind the auto stop/start. ponder this. For instance. Lets say after 1 year of using the start/stop. you utilize that feature on average 4 times a day. So basically 4 stops. That is like turn off your truck and back on 1,460 extra times; just for one year. Sounds like a lot of stop starts. All that extra stress not only on the battery; but the starter. And engine components. Now that is just after 1 year. If its utilized 4 times a day. Use it in traffic? Or the city? then that number only gets higher. I'm sorry but I'd rather not have my truck turn off/on that many "extra" and unnecessary times for save a few $ on gas. It's a truck. It's basically insignificant. Not only this. But I wouldn't want to risk my truck not starting again if i'm in the middle of no where; or out of town. just my 2 cents.