Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I was driving on pavement and I noticed that the 4x4 light was on in the dash. I looked at the 4x4 knob and it was in 4H. I must have bumped it , it moves too easy. I didnt notice any driving difference. Does anyone know exactually what happens when it is in 4x4. There are no hubs to lock. Does that mean that it is AWD front with only change that occurs is in the transfer case? Is there a lock out if going over a certain speed? My last 4x4 was a 250 with manual hubs and a shift lever for 4x4 operation. Inquiring minds want to know.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was driving on pavement and I noticed that the 4x4 light was on in the dash. I looked at the 4x4 knob and it was in 4H. I must have bumped it , it moves too easy. I didnt notice any driving difference. Does anyone know exactually what happens when it is in 4x4. There are no hubs to lock. Does that mean that it is AWD front with only change that occurs is in the transfer case? Is there a lock out if going over a certain speed? My last 4x4 was a 250 with manual hubs and a shift lever for 4x4 operation. Inquiring minds want to know.
Yeah, you don't want to do that. :) You put it in fixed 4wd, it's all electronic.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hubs up front are permanently locked, there's no actuator of any kind. it will buck like crazy if you try to turn at low speed, at high speed it can break stuff if the axles bind too much from high traction.

Try and keep an eye on that knob :)

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I second what has been said here and agree that knob is way too easy to turn by accident. In my 2006 Tacoma it was on the dash and not the console and it was a more intentional action to engage the 4wd system.

blackc2004

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 1978 Ford Bronco; 1971 Ford Torino
I've accidentally knocked that button a few times and as soon as you turn a corner you can REALLY tell it's engaged!

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
What's the scoop on disengagement? I was using it in the rain the other day, just to see what happened. Pretty much nothing of note, except I turned it off a couple of blocks before turning into the driveway. The 4x4 light turned off, but when I made the tight turn into the drive (coasting), the truck just stopped. I put her in reverse, and heard a little scrunching thunk, and it was normal again. Is this just new parts sticking a little bit? Or am I doing it wrong? Explanations are welcome.
Sponsored