Bad Fuel Injector

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Who makes the fuel injectors? Anyone know the source?

I feel the OP and this sucks, but parts do go bad. You can have brand new sensor installed and have it fail after 5 miles.

Sounds to me like this is a bad batch of injectors from the supplier. Not much Ford can do but replace.
If nothing ever went wrong there would be no need for warranty or mechanics. With that said, when I took it in the first time and it showed an injector error my service advisor said let's see if the light comes back on before we tear into it because it's going to be "a job" getting to the injectors. I guess there is a lot that has to be taken off to get to them. Oh well good thing Ford is paying labor costs. I'll keep everyone updated once I get it in. Good luck to the others with injector problems.
Sponsored

Chad Cyr

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a single CEL for injectors since it first appeared at 90 miles throughout that initial tank of gas; I reset the CEL twice. After I refueled (87 Octane), the issue magically disappeared and I am just shy of 1000 miles now. Could it just be an issue with fuel? Has anyone else ran the tank of gas the CEL appeared on, reset the light and tanked up and see if it came back?

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
If nothing ever went wrong there would be no need for warranty or mechanics. With that said, when I took it in the first time and it showed an injector error my service advisor said let's see if the light comes back on before we tear into it because it's going to be "a job" getting to the injectors. I guess there is a lot that has to be taken off to get to them. Oh well good thing Ford is paying labor costs. I'll keep everyone updated once I get it in. Good luck to the others with injector problems.
So I decided to call Ford Corporate to let them know I spent 39k on a vehicle that took 5 days of ownership before being in the shop with a bad fuel injector with no timeline for its repair. I told them that I was very satisfied with the service from the dealership. The Corporate customer service representative indicated he was elevating my situation to the regional service manager who would be contacting me within 1 business day.

I immediately called the service writer at the dealership to inform him I called Corporate and I had given the dealership props for doing a good job on investigating and identifying the bad fuel injector. I told him if the story gets twisted somehow and he or the service technician hear that I was anything less than happy with them that I was available to talk to whoever I needed to to clear things up. I in no way hold the good sales people or the good service people responsible for a defective fuel injector or the lack of availability for the replacement parts.

I’m interested to see if this helps me get my truck fixed faster.

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't had a single CEL for injectors since it first appeared at 90 miles throughout that initial tank of gas; I reset the CEL twice. After I refueled (87 Octane), the issue magically disappeared and I am just shy of 1000 miles now. Could it just be an issue with fuel? Has anyone else ran the tank of gas the CEL appeared on, reset the light and tanked up and see if it came back?
Well my CEL was sort of on and off for awhile, but now pretty much just stays illuminated. It's possible you got some bad gas, but if it was bad enough to start throwing codes I would think drivability would be compromised. It's possible that you had a minor error that corrected itself instead of actually being a bad injector. You might have lucked out or one of these days the CEL will come back on and then you'll know you have a real issue like the OP and myself. I think there are a couple more owners around here with bad injectors. Anyhow good luck.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Corporate customer service called, I was unimpressed with the dialogue. The representative did not seem empathetic to my having paid 39k for a truck that went out of commission after less than 400 miles. I asked when I can expect to be able to drive my brand new truck and was told I will receive a call on Tuesday and my situation was being “elevated”. Again, I emphasized I am very pleased with the attention I have been getting from the repairing dealership. I am not so pleased with the customer service from Ford Corporate.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
For those that are getting the repairs, did your CEL stay on? Mine was on for only 24 hours and went off. Hasn't been back in a week(500) miles. Debating if I should being it in, or wait and see if it comes back on. The code at the time was the bad electrical injector code for #2.

Could be a waste of time as they'll just tell me there's no code present
I definitely felt throttle lag like a clogged fuel filter before the CEL came on. The service technician drove other Rangers and felt the pronounced hesitation in my truck. I’m guessing that symptom is a result of the bad fuel injector. If your truck is running fine and the CEL cleared, It could be just fine.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely felt throttle lag like a clogged fuel filter before the CEL came on. The service technician drove other Rangers and felt the pronounced hesitation in my truck. I’m guessing that symptom is a result of the bad fuel injector. If your truck is running fine and the CEL cleared, It could be just fine.
Well my light went off again last night, but I know it'll be back soon. Anyhow I'm taking mine in after work on Monday. It runs fine, but if the CEL is going on and off there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Hopefully they get yours fixed soon. I'm not buying the excuse they can't get parts. If they can't get parts they couldn't be building them right now.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Well my light went off again last night, but I know it'll be back soon. Anyhow I'm taking mine in after work on Monday. It runs fine, but if the CEL is going on and off there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Hopefully they get yours fixed soon. I'm not buying the excuse they can't get parts. If they can't get parts they couldn't be building them right now.
I hated the punched in gut feeling the little yet ominous CEL gave me. I understand your frustration. I hope you get a quick resolution and are back on the road in your new Ranger, without the glowing CEL, shortly.

Jasper White

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger, 17 Escape, 06 Miata
I waited over 5 months to get my Oxford White Lariat 4X2 501A with spray in bed liner.

After having it five days, the Check Engine Light popped up.

The service technician was able to clear the CEL, but after driving a couple of other Rangers on his lot, concluded mine had significantly more hesitation at lower speeds. I had also noticed the hesitation.

Ford Corporate was contacted and the technician was directed to check the fuel injectors.

Sure enough, the #2 fuel injector is needing to be replaced and there are no replacement parts available yet. I must have left a bad tip for a waitress at some point in my life and karma is paying me back big time.
My FX4 Lariat has done the same from theday I picked it up. Do you remember the code that popped up?

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I spoke to the area Corporate representative today who told me they are prioritizing the my situation. I told them I was not ok with the truck I purchased three weeks ago being in the repair shop for the last two weeks. I was promised compensation. Let’s see how the Big Blue Oval resolves things. Stay tuned ...

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Ford currently has 70 fuel injectors in stock at the Detroit warehouse.This could have happened recently or in the past couple of days (I just checked today). If the dealer ordered it correctly (there isn't any reason to think they didn't) they should have your fuel injector in today or tomorrow. If not then you might want to shake the tree a little. As of right now, it is one day out on a priority order.
My Dealer replaced the injector and a wiring harness associated with the same. I'm picking my truck up today the 7th.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
My Dealer replaced the injector and a wiring harness associated with the same. I'm picking my truck up today the 7th.
That is fantastic news. I can’t wait to hear how your truck performs now that it’s been fixed.

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
That is fantastic news. I can’t wait to hear how your truck performs now that it’s been fixed.
It seems to be running great. I'm taking her for a long run Monday, I will let you know how I make out.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
It seems to be running great. I'm taking her for a long run Monday, I will let you know how I make out.
Thank goodness! May all the miles you drive your Ranger be happy ones.
Sponsored