Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
3 questions for you:
  1. Why don't you plug the charger into the USB port?
  2. What kind of charger is that? It looks like it fits pretty snug in that tray (which is good).
  3. How hard is it for you to get your phone lined up correctly so that it charges? With many wireless chargers my experience has been that you have to put the phone on the charger in just the right spot in order for it to charge. Ideally, I'd love to be able to just set my phone down and it will charge. If it moves a bit it will still charge.
Thanks
1. If plugged into usb port, the plug and cord would be in the way of laying the phone down.
2. It's a Choetech Wireless Charger 3 Coils. $25 on Amazon but black is cheaper. Also cheaper if you order directly from Choetech, but then it comes from China and takes 2 or 3 weeks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXL6228/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. I tested where it needed to be and used velcro to hold it in place. It can be kind of fussy to get just right. I set it up so that I place the phone against the left wall of cubby and it's just right. The surface of the charger has grippy strips that keep the phone from sliding easily.
Sponsored

Last edited:

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
There is no offense meant by this but if you have use a socket to plug in the wireless charger why not just plug your phone in......not really wireless.

Yes , im old and dont understand these things, lol.

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
There is no offense meant by this but if you have use a socket to plug in the wireless charger why not just plug your phone in......not really wireless.

Because wireless is elegant and sexy! :turkey:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Im just going to take the coil out of a wireless pad and place it under the pocket from underneath. Then ill have a wireless charging spot without any visible stuff.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Im just going to take the coil out of a wireless pad and place it under the pocket from underneath. Then ill have a wireless charging spot without any visible stuff.
If you do this, please post pictures of the process. I'm interested.... But I still have another month to wait for my truck.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do this, please post pictures of the process. I'm interested.... But I still have another month to wait for my truck.
Definitely, I might actually place a charging pad in under the storage tray on the dash too. That one would be easy.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely, I might actually place a charging pad in under the storage tray on the dash too. That one would be easy.
That actually might be a better spot for wireless charging! I don't know what else you'd use that tray for other than setting your phone.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That actually might be a better spot for wireless charging! I don't know what else you'd use that tray for other than setting your phone.
I agree! it would be really easy to get 5v power under the dash like that. Sometimes there are even USB ports on the back of the Nav unit that might have 5v power. There is also a little slot on the arm rest console right above the power and usb ports for the rear that i could put a charging pad in. Might do all three!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I thought the wireless charging was a gimmick until I tried it. It is really nice to just set your phone down and it charges - rather than having to plug it in. It seems kind of silly, but it really is a nice feature.

Josh_R

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2004 Ranger, 2013 Edge

Like, half of the phones I've had recently have had the usb/charging port go bad, and it won't charge via a cord anymore. This also causes the related problem that I can no longer connect my phone to a computer to download my pictures and videos to my hard drive. A wireless charging mat keeps the usb port from getting broken due to overuse.

Last edited:

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Can you clarify on the wireless charger? I am confused in #7 where you are using the 12v slot & adapter (from Amazon) but then talk about hard wiring...I don’t get how/ why you are doing both? Thanks.
I just needed a way to convert 12v from the fuse box to 5v for the wireless charging pad AND I wanted that 5v to be Qualcomm 3.0 fast charge compatible. I looked for inline power supplies and while they would have the 2.4A output needed to charge more quickly, none of them had the built-in electronics to support the QC 3.0 standard. I realized that if was willing to work with a power supply that was designed to draw its power from a cigarette lighter socket, finding one with QC standard was easy. I didn't want any wires exposed so instead of having it draw its 12v from the external cigarette lighter socket, I hard-wired it into the fuse box. Make sense?

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
I bought a wireless aa/carplay adaptor and am attempting to plug a pad into the existing USB. Not enough juice, lots of issues. Trying another brand, my plan c might be to hard wire a USB port into the fuse box, I don't want to see cables going into the cigarette ports.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator