LT Spare tire

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Commercial Transport Mechanic
I hope this wasn't asked already, I did a search and didn't see anything. The Rangers that were ordered with the optional LT 17" tires, is the spare also a LT tire? Thank you .
Sponsored

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
My FX4 has a matching Hankook Dynapro ATM tire, others can weigh in on the specifics of "LT" I'm sure.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I've had several ford trucks and everytime the 5th tire was always the same tire as the the other 4.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have the optional 18" rims with Dynapro ATM and my spare is a Dynapro HT.

Yes, it was dirty under there:)

spare.jpg
For me the important point is that it is a full size spare, not a donut. There was one review that said it was a donut spare, which would seem stupid. All my other Rangers had full size spares. Even the same wheel usually.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
For me the important point is that it is a full size spare, not a donut. There was one review that said it was a donut spare, which would seem stupid. All my other Rangers had full size spares. Even the same wheel usually.
They just don't know the difference between donut spare and steel wheel

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
They just don't know the difference between donut spare and steel wheel
My current ranger has the same aluminum wheel as the rest for the spare - but since I've only used the spare once in 20 years, I'm fine with a steel wheel - as long as it is a full size tire.

I never realized how bad some of these "reviews" are - many were giving out incorrect info (like that). I guess it just goes along with the disappearing journalism these days.

I had to drive about 50 miles on a donut spare on my Honda and it was a terrible experience. Have to drive slow and the steering is terrible. I would have stopped at a tire shop but it was at night - they were all closed. I hope I never have to repeat that experience.

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
My current ranger has the same aluminum wheel as the rest for the spare - but since I've only used the spare once in 20 years, I'm fine with a steel wheel - as long as it is a full size tire.

I never realized how bad some of these "reviews" are - many were giving out incorrect info (like that). I guess it just goes along with the disappearing journalism these days.

I had to drive about 50 miles on a donut spare on my Honda and it was a terrible experience. Have to drive slow and the steering is terrible. I would have stopped at a tire shop but it was at night - they were all closed. I hope I never have to repeat that experience.
Could be worse. The C-max has no spare, just a can of sealant and a small air pump. Punctured a tire on highway 101 just after leaving SFO (8 lane freeway). Had to have it towed. One reason the C-max is getting traded in.

OP
OP
RobF8GT

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Thank you for the replies. The reason I asked was I noticed a Ranger with the optional light truck 17" tires but the spare wasn't a light truck tire. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or I made a mistake or that's just the way it is. But I guess any full size spare is better than the other options mentioned. Ill find out when I get the one I ordered. Thanks again.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I have the optional LT tires. The spare is full size but not LT.

OP
OP
RobF8GT

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the optional LT tires. The spare is full size but not LT.
Thank you for going to look. I was kinda hoping Ford would supply all 5 tires the same LT rating. Being that the spare isn't the same load rating or construction as the 4 on road tires I figured there must be some warnings printed somewhere. I downloaded the owners manual. Yup, they mention " Full-size dissimilar spare " They state its for temporary use only and not to be driven more than 50MPH. Thanks again for the info.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I used to work for the county Automotive services and the directer always ordered full size spares for the fleet. The trunk floor on the compact cars were not flat. Many times county workers would drive away leaving the flat tire, the jack, and lug wrench on the side of the road. Working there exposed me to hundreds of different drivers and their abilities and ideology. The auto companies could never build a vehicle that is idiot proof or please everyone. So, dont expect a vehicle to be ex actually what you need, do as many on this site are doing and check everything yourself and modify as needed.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I went out and looked at mine. I got the standard steels 16" Desert Duelers H/T on the truck and a aluminum spare wheel with 16" Dynapro same size. Ford owners manual says you may or may not find the rating of your tires in this manual. LOL So, the question is is it a temporary wheel and a temporary tire or what?

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Thanks to this thread I took a closer look at my spare today. I was thinking of getting a matching 18" wheel and mounting the spare tire along with a TPMS on it. I wanted to be able to do five tire rotations and be able just swap if I get a flat or have a blow-out. I now have 4-DynaPro ATM 265-60R18 tires from the upgrade package and 1-DynaPro ATM 265-65R17 spare on a steel wheel. At least the tire outside diameters are about the same.

When you order a wheel upgrade to 18", I expected you would be paying for all 5 tires to be identical for the $895 price charged. Maybe Ford doesn't buy 18" steel wheels.

It looks like I'll be rethinking that plan; either forget it or find someone who is selling individual matching wheels and tires after a wheel upgrade. It might be a long wait for the 2nd option. What do you guys think?
Sponsored