Not open for further replies.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I find this discussion interesting. I've only driven my truck a couple hundred miles at this point, but I actually like the brakes. They are somewhat "mushy", but I hated the very sensitive brakes on my Honda - it was hard to keep them from grabbing hard. It was like you press down a little and they did nothing and then all of a sudden they were ON - HARD. I like the extended pedal travel on the Ranger that allows you easier application of just as much brake as you want/need without being grabby. If you want them on hard, you just push down hard and they comply easily

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Ya, totally. I get it. Many folks like a firm brake pedal though..Not hard to push or touchy (touchy reminds me of my Dad's 69 Impala...holy smokes those were touchy). mind you, but not spongy and an earlier initiation and consistent feel through the range. I loved the brakes on my 04 Mach 1.

That was the one negative thing that stood out to me on the Ranger test-drive and I wasn't even looking for that. I'll accept it at some point :)
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, totally. I get it. Many folks like a firm brake pedal though..Not hard to push or touchy (touchy reminds me of my Dad's 69 Impala...holy smokes those were touchy). mind you, but not spongy and an earlier initiation and consistent feel through the range. I loved the brakes on my 04 Mach 1.

That was the one negative thing that stood out to me on the Ranger test-drive and I wasn't even looking for that. I'll accept it at some point :)
I guess I'm just not as picky - at the end of the day, I just want the brakes to work and stop me quickly, without being grabby/touchy. I've never felt unsafe with the Ranger brakes.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I drove my wife's Edge yesterday and almost sent the entire family through the windshield the first time I tapped the brakes. That thing is SUPER touchy. I must really be used to the brakes on my Ranger, because I had a very hard time getting used to her brakes without stopping super short.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I drove my wife's Edge yesterday and almost sent the entire family through the windshield the first time I tapped the brakes. That thing is SUPER touchy. I must really be used to the brakes on my Ranger, because I had a very hard time getting used to her brakes without stopping super short.
That is what my Honda was like. I'd rather have mushy brakes than touchy brakes. As long as the mushy ones stop you when you need them to.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I loved the brakes on my 2016 Fusion and absolutely hated them in my 2002 Ranger. I read about mushy brakes before I got my Ranger and did not like the sound of that. However, I would not describe my Lariat brakes as mushy. They do have a little longer travel compared to the Fusion but (unlike my 2002 Ranger) I have not come across any odd or unexpected behavior (the 2002 antilock system on my Ranger actually limited brake pressure if you hit the pedal in a panic stop mode and it did cause me to rear end the guy in front one day when the brakes didn't give much stopping power).

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I loved the brakes on my 2016 Fusion and absolutely hated them in my 2002 Ranger. I read about mushy brakes before I got my Ranger and did not like the sound of that. However, I would not describe my Lariat brakes as mushy. They do have a little longer travel compared to the Fusion but (unlike my 2002 Ranger) I have not come across any odd or unexpected behavior (the 2002 antilock system on my Ranger actually limited brake pressure if you hit the pedal in a panic stop mode and it did cause me to rear end the guy in front one day when the brakes didn't give much stopping power).
I disconnected the ABS on my 2001 Ranger on the day I brought it home new.
The brakes worked flawlessly for 18 years without it.
Mine was a 4.0L EDGE with the big brakes... at that time the only combo with
standard ABS

Last edited:

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I disconnected the ABS on my 2001 Ranger on the day I brought it home new.
The brakes worked flawlessly for 18 years without it.
Mine was a 4.0L EDGE with the big brakes... at that time the only combo with
standard ABS
I should have done that as well. I had a 4.0L XLT w/tow pkg. And I would have easily avoided rear ending that guy if the brakes had acted normally.
It's amazing how the 2.3L +10 Sp tranny makes this new Ranger feel so much lighter on its feet (and faster than my Fusion :) )

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I should have done that as well. I had a 4.0L XLT w/tow pkg. And I would have easily avoided rear ending that guy if the brakes had acted normally.
It's amazing how the 2.3L +10 Sp tranny makes this new Ranger feel so much lighter on its feet (and faster than my Fusion :) )
Ford called me today to assure me that I too may someday get the feel of my own new Ranger... Seeing is believing and I ain't seen nuthin' yet!:clock::question:

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It's inconsistent and doesn't feel safe. You can never know what it's going to feel like next. I never said anything about it needing to be sensitive. It is mushy and inconsistent. That makes modulating it not so good.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Too funny! I do the same thing with my wife's 17 Explorer. Really touchy, compared. I have to apologize to passenger for the a few stops or so. You don't want an open beverage riding with me.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
It's inconsistent and doesn't feel safe. You can never know what it's going to feel like next. I never said anything about it needing to be sensitive. It is mushy and inconsistent. That makes modulating it not so good.
I agree with this! They're not sensitive per se, but sometimes they grab way harder than what I expect them too. And then I modulate for the next time I brake, and I'm about to rear end someone (ok not really..but you get the point). I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the engine downshifting. With 10 gears to go through, the truck's deceleration can vary depending on what gear it downshifts to? I'm really not sure. It's definitely weird though, and I don't love it.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I’m not digging the mushy brakes. Not feeling confident if I can stop on a dime.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
I still. Have my 2005 fx4 level ii I like it's brakes better. Oh well.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The Brakes on my wife's 15 Edge where inconsistent one time they'd be mushy and the next time it would try and throw you through windshield on her 18 Edge they work just fine. Yes I do agree the brakes on the Ranger do feel mushy but I haven't had any problems stopping.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Since my truck in in the shop waiting for Ford Corporate to chime in on the Check Engine Light issue, I asked the technician to check the brakes as mine seem mushy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.