Tire Size Fitment Master Thread

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
Beach Ford sent a truck for a 2.5” lift and 285 70 17..( Virginia Beach Virginia ) .. try us 4wp on the boulevard .. it required new wheels as stock would have rubbed on inside ..and new crash bars ... I was there last night and the clearance behind tire was ok .. the wheels they chose sucked but that’s what’s popular these days and I did not like the tire choice either .. Thursday of next week they going to try 275 70 17 on a truck with a 2 inch , see how it works , you can call them Friday next week and see how it worked .. I personally want to keep my stock wheels so my plan is 265 70 18 on bfg tko.. the stock on a 18 inch wheel is 30.5x10.4... the spec on the bfg tire says 32.6x10.7 ... so my plan is up 2 inches in front .. 1 inch block in back to maintain some rake and if needed a 1/4 spacer .. any more spacer than that is not good , switch wheels ....it’s very tight stock you can barely put your hand back there .. it’s as if our ranger was a series of compromises , perhaps the 2022s will fix some bugs .. and I want a driver side grab handle !!! I use my running boards and grab tge a pillar constantly getting in
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Beach Ford sent a truck for a 2.5” lift and 285 70 17..( Virginia Beach Virginia ) .. try us 4wp on the boulevard .. it required new wheels as stock would have rubbed on inside ..and new crash bars ... I was there last night and the clearance behind tire was ok .. the wheels they chose sucked but that’s what’s popular these days and I did not like the tire choice either .. Thursday of next week they going to try 275 70 17 on a truck with a 2 inch , see how it works , you can call them Friday next week and see how it worked .. I personally want to keep my stock wheels so my plan is 265 70 18 on bfg tko.. the stock on a 18 inch wheel is 30.5x10.4... the spec on the bfg tire says 32.6x10.7 ... so my plan is up 2 inches in front .. 1 inch block in back to maintain some rake and if needed a 1/4 spacer .. any more spacer than that is not good , switch wheels ....it’s very tight stock you can barely put your hand back there .. it’s as if our ranger was a series of compromises , perhaps the 2022s will fix some bugs .. and I want a driver side grab handle !!! I use my running boards and grab tge a pillar constantly getting in
Someone did order a drivers side handle from overseas. It hasn't arrived yet but if that works it might be an easy fix.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
Anyone have a chance to check this? Are these the confirmed max sizes for stock setup? Thanks!
I’m curious too. I’ve been reading and searching but I don’t see a confirmation that these are the max size on an unmodified truck.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
I’m curious too. I’ve been reading and searching but I don’t see a confirmation that these are the max size on an unmodified truck.
I've got a set of 265/70-17s on the way. I suspect that with the spindle, and with those metal crash wings, they're as big as you're going to be able to go on totally stock equipment. Should have them on next week and will report back.

O.p.99

First Name
Opie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Any updated on this?

MadMartigan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I've got a set of 265/70-17s on the way. I suspect that with the spindle, and with those metal crash wings, they're as big as you're going to be able to go on totally stock equipment. Should have them on next week and will report back.
Definitely let us know if those 265/70s work out. I'd love to fit that size w/o mods.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
I had the 265/70-17 Cooper AT3s fitted Friday, and spent all day yesterday off-roading the truck while filming. I can confirm they fit with zero rub, even at max compression, while turning.

I'm also extremely impressed by how much of an improvement the AT3s offer over the Hankook ATMs. Holding the two tires side by side, the Coopers are much, much more substantially constructed. The Hankooks feel like a lightweight road tire, next to the genuinely off-road focussed AT3s. Ride quality is actually improved with the heavier tire, I think they just quiet down the over-damped FX4 shocks the right amount.

MadMartigan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I had the 265/70-17 Cooper AT3s fitted Friday, and spent all day yesterday off-roading the truck while filming. I can confirm they fit with zero rub, even at max compression, while turning.

I'm also extremely impressed by how much of an improvement the AT3s offer over the Hankook ATMs. Holding the two tires side by side, the Coopers are much, much more substantially constructed. The Hankooks feel like a lightweight road tire, next to the genuinely off-road focussed AT3s. Ride quality is actually improved with the heavier tire, I think they just quiet down the over-damped FX4 shocks the right amount.

Thanks for the update! That is great to hear. Now I can pull the trigger on some 265/70/17 STT pros. I don't have the FX4 but from my research the height is the same between FX4 and non FX4

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

They certainly look excellent! Any more road noise than before?

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
They certainly look excellent! Any more road noise than before?
Nope. Also, this is the absolute widest tire you're going to be able to fit without spacers, or more offset. There's like 1/8th of an inch of clearance between the tire and the spindle. Not an issue, but you cannot go wider without making other changes.

MadMartigan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Nope. Also, this is the absolute widest tire you're going to be able to fit without spacers, or more offset. There's like 1/8th of an inch of clearance between the tire and the spindle. Not an issue, but you cannot go wider without making other changes.
Whoa that's close. Do you have the exact AT3 model?(AT3 4S, AT3 LT, AT3 XLT) I know they come in different loads also and the E rated is wider than the C rated.
Any info would be appreciated.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Whoa that's close. Do you have the exact AT3 model?(AT3 4S, AT3 LT, AT3 XLT) I know they come in different loads also and the E rated is wider than the C rated.
Any info would be appreciated.
AT3 LT E-rated.

Spent all day yesterday off-roading again, with some more technical challenges (got the truck high centered on its frame once). Even more impressed with its abilities, and these tires are a just perfect for it.

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
255/80/17r Cooper discovery maxx fit with mild trimming/reforming of the inside liner that covers the engine bay. Mine appeared to be sticking out and I got it to where I wanted. No rub at full lock and I've had a fair bit of compression, so I think these are the easiest 33s to get on there.

IMG_20190511_124540.jpg

IMG_20190511_134154.jpg

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
255/80/17r Cooper discovery maxx fit with mild trimming/reforming of the inside liner that covers the engine bay. Mine appeared to be sticking out and I got it to where I wanted. No rub at full lock and I've had a fair bit of compression, so I think these are the easiest 33s to get on there.

IMG_20190511_124540.jpg

IMG_20190511_134154.jpg
Nice! Can you share a picture of the truck with the new wheels mounted? Any comments about ride quality change?
Sponsored