Trailer Tow Package Does Contain 4 Wires for Aftermarket Brake Controller Install

RJohans

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 Supercrew Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
I would assume it would draw power from the existing 12v pin and would not require rewiring the plug; the entire point is to facilitate an easy connection that doesn't require complicated installation.
Exactly.
Sponsored

RJohans

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 Supercrew Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
THANKS
That looks good. One possible problem, I use my smart phone for navigation. So I need to choose, controller or map display.
With CarPlay, wondering if navigation can be had on the Rangerā€™s screen, while the brake control can be addressed on the smartphone.

In any case, suggest that the haters look at the YouTube videos describing the product before judging.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I would assume it would draw power from the existing 12v pin and would not require rewiring the plug; the entire point is to facilitate an easy connection that doesn't require complicated installation.
My concern was that the wire back there with 12v is like a 16ga where the brakes on my single axle are something like 20a.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My concern was that the wire back there with 12v is like a 16ga where the brakes on my single axle are something like 20a.
You probably mean like 12
With CarPlay, wondering if navigation can be had on the Rangerā€™s screen, while the brake control can be addressed on the smartphone.

In any case, suggest that the haters look at the YouTube videos describing the product before judging.
If by "haters" you mean those who dare question the the practicality of this admittedly clever device, Then I must respond...
I watched the video , read most of the attached material, and still question its practicality as applied to a new Ranger with a tow package.
I think I will one day own a 2019 Ranger,and if I do, I will go through the complicated effort to hook-up four butt spliced wires to a P3 brake controller and use the extra $150 to buy my bed mat, or mudflaps etc.
Cell phones are practical and useful and sometimes even fun and I'm sure its the prospect of the latter which sparks the attraction to this thing.
If you get one and find it satisfactory, report back here with your experience.
Let us know if it is more than just an expensive new App.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Itā€™s definitely not 12ga wire. The three wires in the butt splice are tiny compared to the blk/gr wire. Iā€™m guessing it works or it wouldnā€™t be a product, I just wouldnā€™t trust it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get your point, the Brake wire in the harness is large(30A breaker),
the live 12V charge line can be small ( maybe no mre than 10A) since it is charging the battery (like a garden hose would fill a lake), but it can't supply enough to apply the brakes.
In that case you should NOT use the charge line to power the brakes!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Aux power pin is usually 20A. I don't see a fuse labeled that way, but all the other aux power points in the truck have 20A fuses. Dual axle brakes draw around 15A, triple axle would draw over 20, so the brake pin is fused for 30. That's why the instructions for these things say they can be used with single or dual axles. I'm fascinated that people seem to think the things were designed by complete idiots.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My truck came without the tow package. I can confirm the wires for the controller are there.
o_OThen the real work is DONE! why not a real brake control?
Is it an APP thing, I wouldn't understand?:rockon:
Like...
th?id=OIP.jpg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a real brake controller, with a different interface. If you don't like it, just don't buy it--no need to keep complaining about the fact it exists.
So it is an app thing!:clap:
Sorry:crying: you can't see my attitude, I really am just kidding:giggle:
Toys and gadgets make life more fun.

Anyway, I see you and I have chosen the same career called..."Waiting for a Ranger":rockon:

I can't wait to start my new Ranger from a thousand miles away...
Now there's a real app dontcha think:question::like:

Last edited:

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜95 Taco
Sorry to have to back to square 1, but how the heck do you get the driver's side kick panel off? I have tugged and pushed and pulled on the darn thing as hard as I dare. I managed to get the top front clip loose by prying the panel toward the rear of the vehicle but that's as far as I've got.

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to have to back to square 1, but how the heck do you get the driver's side kick panel off? I have tugged and pushed and pulled on the darn thing as hard as I dare. I managed to get the top front clip loose by prying the panel toward the rear of the vehicle but that's as far as I've got.
There's no need to remove anything to get to the 4 tow wires. They're located out of the firewall to the left of the brake pedal. They may be wrapped together with electrical tape. See the Redarc walk-through for an idea of where it is.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜95 Taco
There's no need to remove anything to get to the 4 tow wires. They're located out of the firewall to the left of the brake pedal. They may be wrapped together with electrical tape. See the Redarc walk-through for an idea of where it is.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/
Thanks for the quick reply. Itā€™s 108 degrees here in Phoenix at the moment so I havenā€™t crawled under the dash to look yet but Iā€™ll take a closer look tomorrow morning when itā€™s only hot as opposed to too darn hot.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the quick reply. Itā€™s 108 degrees here in Phoenix at the moment so I havenā€™t crawled under the dash to look yet but Iā€™ll take a closer look tomorrow morning when itā€™s only hot as opposed to too darn hot.
One additional comment. The wires are relatively short, so you need to really get in there to make the connections.
Sponsored