License plate surround

kcoen

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 crew cab
For everyone that was gifted with the dealers name and contact information printed on a plastic piece surrounding your license plate please check that it does not interfere with the tailgate when it is down. I was waxing my Lariat today and had the tailgate down to get to the roof and notice that the plastic behind license plate was bowed in with tailgate down but not when up. I found that the plastic surround from the dealer around the license plate was interfering with the tailgate, Simple fix: remove the dealer advertising, could have possibly been tweeked but was not needed in the first place. Everyone take note and report findings, didn't look like a major issue but something worth sharing,
Sponsored

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Took mine off as soon as I drove it home from the dealer.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Took mine off as soon as I drove it home from the dealer.
Me too, just waiting for nice weather so I can remove the vinyl lettering they add to my tailgate with their name in it.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
For everyone that was gifted with the dealers name and contact information printed on a plastic piece surrounding your license plate please check that it does not interfere with the tailgate when it is down. I was waxing my Lariat today and had the tailgate down to get to the roof and notice that the plastic behind license plate was bowed in with tailgate down but not when up. I found that the plastic surround from the dealer around the license plate was interfering with the tailgate, Simple fix: remove the dealer advertising, could have possibly been tweeked but was not needed in the first place. Everyone take note and report findings, didn't look like a major issue but something worth sharing,
Yeah, This is a stupid Ford FU. I don't think it's possible to use any license plate frame without damaging the bottom of the tailgate when it's open.

Jimiv123

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, FX4, Sport Package, Magnetic
Occupation
IT Grunt
Mine seems to be clearing, but just barely.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Me too, just waiting for nice weather so I can remove the vinyl lettering they add to my tailgate with their name in it.
Just realized my dealer didn't do that. They were really great to deal with.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I told my salesman if they put a vinyl sticker on my truck it would not leave their lot until it was removed. I was okay with a Dealer license plate frame until I saw that rubbing the bottom of the tailgate when it's open. Now I have no dealer badging.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Peeled that off as soon as I got home from the dealer. Hate those stickers.

Tommy Oberon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max
Vehicle Showcase
first thing I tell them when they try and sell me all the other crap they make money on is that I wont accept a vehicle with any of their advertising on it unless they want to gift me the truck for driving it with all their stickers and advertising on it.

Pat McGrath

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 XLT Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
I already told the dealer no dealer badges or do I want the front license plate holder installed. I am not going to be a rolling bill board.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was barely clearing but I took it off yesterday when putting my plates on.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I already told the dealer no dealer badges or do I want the front license plate holder installed. I am not going to be a rolling bill board.

I usually do too, but this time I picked the truck up in the rain, in the dark...

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I never would think the tailgate would be so close to the plate frame. I have a stainless steel black frame but it's close but not touching. The tip of my finger fits in the gap.

Last edited:

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, This is a stupid Ford FU. I don't think it's possible to use any license plate frame without damaging the bottom of the tailgate when it's open.
I went to install my rear license plate frame and ran into the same issue. Then I looked behind the plastic that holds the plate and realized that piece of plastic trim is held to some sheet metal behind it with two plastic push-pin fasteners. These push-pins hadn’t properly seated the plastic trim to the sheet metal, so I took the top of a hammer and pressed hard against the push-pins to properly seat the trim. I picked up over a 1/4”. Now my license plate frame fits with no issues.
Sponsored