What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I’ve decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I had positive results with it on my last f150, and when it’s on sale locally, it’s quite cost effective and comes highly recommended for DI engines and to combat LSPI
Sponsored

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Actually the current version of Ultra Platinum isn't SN+ or Dexo1 Gen2 rated to combat LSPI. The Pennzoil Platinum does meet the specs for LSPI.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CrewCab 4x4 301A
Has anyone seen a spec sheet that calls out exactly how much synthetic is in a quart of motorcraft synthetic Blend?

Since synthetic blends are not regulated as too how much synthetic oil is in a quart, a manufacturer can put one drop of synthetic oil in a quart and legally market and sell it as a synthetic Blend.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Actually the current version of Ultra Platinum isn't SN+ or Dexo1 Gen2 rated to combat LSPI. The Pennzoil Platinum does meet the specs for LSPI.
It’s clearly SN Plus rated on the packaging from what I’ve found.
The debate on whether its Truely not dexos Gen 2 certified, or like the other major oil companies, Pennzoil chose not to spend the money gaining certification for oil that doesn’t sell as much as the regular Platinum. That’s tough to say. Many who have had virgin analysis performed, claimed the only different between PP and PUP is the higher level of boron in the PUP. I’ve had a hard time finding current information, but you are correct, GMs website doesn’t list it as Gen2 certified. I may reconsider now

5E7C5E37-24C8-422D-A352-D815C257258B.jpeg

Last edited:

AnimeRanger87

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 XLT 2X4 Reg cab. 2019 XLT Supercrew 4x4, 2000 XLT Supercab 2x4
Occupation
Production associates with Honda
Vehicle Showcase
Motorcraft Full Synthetic oil!!!

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
It’s clearly SN Plus rated on the packaging from what I’ve found.
The debate on whether its Truely not dexos Gen 2 certified, or like the other major oil companies, Pennzoil chose not to spend the money gaining certification for oil that doesn’t sell as much as the regular Platinum. That’s tough to say. Many who have had virgin analysis performed, claimed the only different between PP and PUP is the higher level of boron in the PUP. I’ve had a hard time finding current information, but you are correct, GMs website doesn’t list it as Gen2 certified. I may reconsider now

5E7C5E37-24C8-422D-A352-D815C257258B.jpeg
Thanks. The API SN+ approval must have recently occurred. SN+ rating controls the amount of Calcium used which can contribute to LSPI. You're good to go!

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So I performed my first oil change today at 1,582 miles. And when I went to reset the oil life in the vehicle settings menu I noticed that I had 87% oil life. Which means that if I had only used 13% of the oil life, the truck has 12,000 mile change interval. I thought that it was remarkably high.

P.S. somewhere else on here ( I think RCMustang) said that they were able to remove the oil filter by hand, not me. My factory filter was overly torqued on. It required a fair amount of leverage with a wrench and a half rotation to break it free.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
So I performed my first oil change today at 1,582 miles. And when I went to reset the oil life in the vehicle settings menu I noticed that I had 87% oil life. Which means that if I had only used 13% of the oil life, the truck has 12,000 mile change interval. I thought that it was remarkably high.

P.S. somewhere else on here ( I think RCMustang) said that they were able to remove the oil filter by hand, not me. My factory filter was overly torqued on. It required a fair amount of leverage with a wrench and a half rotation to break it free.
That was me. It took some grip but it eventually budged.

Curtzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Hot Pepper Red Chrome pkg
I always run Amsoil in the Pony, but then I've had it over 140 mph a few times. Since the Ranger will not race or haul much, will probably go with Mobil1

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 5sp
Penzoil Ultra Platinum in anything Direct Injected, especially turbo'd. PUP has a low NOACK volatility which means less oil is evaporated, thus less oil vapor to coke the valves and less need for a catch can. For my cars that I don't need to worry about valve coking (port injection or a lease I don't plan to keep) I use Amazon Full Synthetic. Best I can tell is that it's rebranded mobil 1.

Edit: I'm sure the new Penzoil Platinum with the green stamp that says "Redesigned for modern turbocharged engines" is a good bet as well.

Edit 2: It seems the new PUP with pureplus is not as good as the old one... Shoot.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4718980/Pennzoil_Platinum_and_Ultra_Pl

Last edited:

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
After the free oil changes provided by the dealership I'll run Amalie synthetic(My company label brand). SN Plus certified and Dexos Gen 2 approved.

After the break in, Oil changes will be done pretty much yearly since I don't travel extreme distances but am in an extreme weather area. Works out to around 7k oil change duration.

TimberWolf2018

First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, crew,
Has anyone seen a spec sheet that calls out exactly how much synthetic is in a quart of motorcraft synthetic Blend?

Since synthetic blends are not regulated as too how much synthetic oil is in a quart, a manufacturer can put one drop of synthetic oil in a quart and legally market and sell it as a synthetic Blend.
Back when I apprenticed as a diesel mechanic Mid 80s standard motor oil was 30 weight. Then these new-fangled synthetics came out, like 10w30 and 5w40. It is all synthetic, 10w30 doesnt come out of the ground as a multi protection lubricant, it is synthesized from crude oil. They can call blends synthetic because they are.... they always have been. The difference now is the added protection that extends service life. I like changing my oil once a year.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Just a FYI. Ford has had a issue with the Eco-boost engines and oil. They have found that on had decel, it was causing micro droplets of oil to be in the combustion chamber. Engineering reformulated the Motorcraft oil to stop this. This was just two months ago.
Sponsored