Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
Is the canister easily removable after installed? I'm assuming my motorcycle won't fit in the bed with the canister in place.
Not really. The side rails are secured to the canister prior to installation. Instructions said lift that assembly into the bed using 2 people. I was able to lift the assembly myself, but it was only because I was impatient. Once the canister and rails are in place, C-clamps are used to secure the rails to the bed. Adjustments are then made to the rails to make them perfectly parallel. In other words, assembly/re-assembly is a process. I would not recommend frequent removals and re-installations for this very reason.
Sponsored

RangerB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat in Saber
Occupation
I do things for people who need me to do them.
Vehicle Showcase
Any drilling required for drainage tubes like other systems?

edgefx4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
For those of you with the retractable cover...

Are the front tie downs blocked by the canister? If not, just in theory, how would you feel placing something against the canister and using the tie downs to hold it in place?

RangerB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I drilled through the plastic plugs at the front of the bed.
Wasn’t wanting to do any drilling, but I suppose it’s the nature of a retractable cover as the canister has to drain somewhere.

Thanks for the info!

Vyroz

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Just picked up our Ranger on Monday. Came included with the cover as optioned out. Was already installed when we got the truck. The way they ran the drainage lines they did not drill through the tie down point covers. They simply opened them and ran them through those and left them open. Also does anyone know if this cover is supposed to be waterproof? We were told it was, but after driving in the rain the inside of the bed was wet.

RangerB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@earsmccoy ,

Thanks for the post. Super helpful.

Quick question for you or anyone else who’s purchased and installed this.

I only got a single box (box 1 of 2) with the canister. I assume there’s a second box that contains the rails and hardware?

I’m not seeing any of that in the canister box and I have no “box 2 of 2”. :facepalm:

I got mine from Livermore Ford. Great service and best prices, and the box that they did send, got here un-abused by FedEx.

OP
OP
earsmccoy

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
@earsmccoy ,

Thanks for the post. Super helpful.

Quick question for you or anyone else who’s purchased and installed this.

I only got a single box (box 1 of 2) with the canister. I assume there’s a second box that contains the rails and hardware?

I’m not seeing any of that in the canister box and I have no “box 2 of 2”. :facepalm:

I got mine from Livermore Ford. Great service and best prices, and the box that they did send, got here un-abused by FedEx.
Yes, you should have 2 boxes. It sounds like you are missing the rails.

RangerB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you should have 2 boxes. It sounds like you are missing the rails.
Yeah, spoke with the dealer. You are correct, sir. They missed sending the box with the rails. It is now inbound to make the set complete.

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
Mine was installed today. Bought the Hot Pepper Lariat with 4 X 4 and the sport package. The sticker said Tonneau cover- hard fold - dealer installed 995.00. When I picked it up today after having the Line-x spray and the cover installed it was the Retrax Pro roll up and not the hard fold I was expecting. Looks like I saved some bucks so I'm happy.
20190621_152216.jpg

CWO2LT

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport trim 4 x 4, Hot Pepper Red, Line-X bed liner, Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover
Just an update on my cover. Wasn't happy when I picked it up from the dealer. Big gap at the tail gate. Watched a couple of Youtube videos on how to install a Retrax Pro and adjusted the rails like they should have been in about 10 minutes. Nice seal at the tailgate now. Like I've said before, dealers have the selling part down pat, it's the delivery part they suffer on.

Ironhead

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sierra
Has anyone put a rack on these yet? If so what brand fits the T slots?
Thanks

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Retrax in and installed it today. Has anyone done this and considered drilling a few holes to mechanically lock the cover in place more permantly than the clamps?

The reason I'm asking is the bed rail on the ford ranger has a very shallow lip where the jaws of the clamp bite on and one clamp started to bend on me and the clamp fell off when I was tightening the bolt that locks against the bed side. I went to lowes and got nylon spacers and some 5/16 bolts and am trying to decide if I want to secure it further.

any ideas?

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Tonneau Kit 1 finally got out of backorder and I installed the yakima rack on the retrax. I am going to mechanically fasten the cover to the rails with bolts, I will feel better knowing I have a solid connection and not a clamp ....

IMG_0252.jpg

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Has anyone put a rack on these yet? If so what brand fits the T slots?
Thanks
As you can see in the post above, the "best" racks for this is either of the two heavy-duty truck racks from Yakima. The overhaul has adjustable height, the OutPost doesn't, and is a little bit shorter. These are the best options looks wise, and for carrying weight limits.

Yakima also makes the bedrock, which mounts the bar just a few inches above the bed. Good if you want to mount things low, like bikes, but it has a lot less weight capacity.

There are some Thule and Rhino Rack options that will work, similar to the bedrock, but I wouldn't really recommend them. They're made for lighter duty car installations, you want something a little beefier. If you want a true truck rack and a tonneau, this is the way to go.

Source: I have the Retrax ONE XR with the OutPost (and this week a Tepui tent) on my Ranger.

... and I also work for Rack Attack. So knowing the best rack is a big part of my job :p
Sponsored