Gas Mileage

Mdelfino

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Escape - Titanium
Got my Ranger a couple weeks ago. I've read that some aren't getting the advertised mileage. Took mine out for a short road trip of about 120 miles. I let the adaptive cruise control handle most if it. It was highway driving. I got 24.9mpg for the whole trip. The manual said mileage should keep getting better during the break in period. I'm pretty satisfied with what I'm getting now.

Mine is a fully loaded Lariat FX4.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There seems to be TWO places to get MPG... On the Eco screen and the Odometer screen

My OD screen shows 18MPG the Eco screen shows 23MPG...Which one is closer?

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
There seems to be TWO places to get MPG... On the Eco screen and the Odometer screen

My OD screen shows 18MPG the Eco screen shows 23MPG...Which one is closer?
There are 3 screens. Trip 1, Trip 2, and Fuel Economy. I use and reset both Trip 1 and the Eco screen between each fuel up and they match each time. I then use trip 2 for miles and mileage between oil changes to get a bigger avg overall.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There are 3 screens. Trip 1, Trip 2, and Fuel Economy. I use and reset both Trip 1 and the Eco screen between each fuel up and they match each time. I then use trip 2 for miles and mileage between oil changes to get a bigger avg overall.
So my "Eco" screen is way off then? LOL Not looking for great MPG on a truck..But it's nice to know which gauge is correct. I think I will do the math on a tank myself.....

I reset the eco and Trip 1 on each fill up. They are 5MPG apart LOL

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
So the "Eco" screen is way off then? LOL Not looking for great MPG on a truck..But it's nice to know which gauge is correct. I think I will do the math on a tank myself.....
No, the eco screen isn't way off. Just have to reset it to zero so it'll calculate. if you've never reset it then it's going off of total since first having power.

19SilverRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 Ford Mustang GT
I’ve been please with mine so far, also a SuperCrew Lariat FX4. I’ve averaged 21.9 over that last 260 mile. 60% city and 40% highway. I only have 280 on the truck, and I’ll admit I’ve been easy on it for the break in period. Only had 0.3 miles on the truck when I got it from the dealer.

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
Wow. Just did my first fill. Does anyone else find the “easy fill cap” the most temperamental gas fill of their life? I bet it tripped 12 times during the 16 gallon fill. Granted the hose was a bit at an angle, but I had to really hold the nozzle straight and not all the way inserted to get it to flow. That will take some getting used to. Definitely not for a freezing Wisconsin day. Computer said it averaged 20.4. Didn’t seem too bad for the first tank given a tremendous amount of idling we have had.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
I've got 530 miles on mine and I'm getting 21.5 MPG average (according to the dash computer) since I bought it with 5 miles on it. It's a Lariat SuperCrew 4x2. On my most recent tip odometer setting I'm getting 24.1 MPG for the last 68 miles. Mostly city start/stop driving and several trips up and down the Dallas North Tollway at various times of the day (sometimes moving at highway speeds, sometimes bumper to bumper traffic).

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Mine with 205 miles shows 21.5 mpg. One thing everyone should know is from time to time reset your trip to reset the mpg gage they tend to not work very well if its been a long time between the last reset.

SlinkyFriend

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus
I find that my dash computer is always .7 mpg higher than real world results after restarting every fill up and using the Fuelly app. I have 3650 mpg and gas mileage improves every time I fill up, while slowly plateauing. Honestly seems like as the weather improves so does my mileage. Highest is 23mpg. Lately I am at 22-23 mpg with city and highway driving.

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
Are you using 87 or 91+ octane gas? I read in another thread that you will get significantly better mpg and performance with 91 or higher. They also posted that the owners manual states 87 is the minimum requirement but it also says on another page that 91+ is recommended for maximum performance and fuel economy. I think they said it was on page 137. I'm picking my Ranger up Saturday morning so I don't have an owners manual to check yet. Some people on that thread said they were getting g as high as 29mpg highway on 93 octane.

Last edited:

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Im averaging around 21mpg hand calculated, 87 octane, paved country road, stop sign type commuting. The dash trip meter is always a bit more than 1 mpg optimistic.

f_399

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor - Ranger Wildtrack - Ranger XLT - Everest
Just for reference on a raptor, 2.0 diesel in city driving

7916CA50-56AD-4280-9B98-B146FC3F2123.jpeg

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger108a.jpg

Sorry the pic is shaky the truck was moving that's 25.5 mpg

Truckguy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger
Are you guys verifying your MPG numbers when you fill up by dividing miles driven by how many gallons you put in? Looking at videos online, that's where the discrepancy is coming in.. not sure you can trust the computer
Sponsored