2020 Ranger: Will it get the 2.7 V-6 Eco Boost?

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Anybody know if this engine might be an option in 2020?
I'll be one of the first to jump on if they do.

BTW If they don't I'm good with the 2.3 inline 4 ecoboost
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

Ranger Raptor I'm thinking and maybe Bronco

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Well I'm praying they will offer it in the XLT 4x2.
I have zero need for a 4x4

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It would be pretty nasty, but honestly the 2.3 in this truck even with 4x4 SuperCrew gets it. Once some parts start hitting the aftermarket, or some shops unveil what they are currently working on I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 400+ HP is not out of the question with bone stock internals with these engines

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
What's the point? The current engine is a solid choice. I think Ford made a great call offering one good engine rather than putting a piece of junk in the lower trim levels and charging for something decent. I suppose marketing will force them to add options just for spec sheet comparisons, but I don't see the current drive train being a limiting factor for this truck.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Have you driven the 2019 Ranger? Is it lacking power?

You will get your answer soon (hopefully August 2019) about what are the powertrain options for the 2020 Ranger.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't see Ford putting a V6 in the Ranger. Maybe Raptor. The 4 banger runs like a V6, Better than Tacoma's V6..But gives good fuel economy IF one drives Economically which isn't fun ALL the time, I love opening it up. But not too much LOL.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.3 is awesome. I love the power and get up and go this truck has. I really think Ford nailed it.

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
Yeah I don’t get the obsession of wanting a v6, I highly doubt we will get the 2.7 but maybe a reworked 2.3l later on when more power is needed but with the current competition the 2.3/10 speed is a killer combo

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted the 2.7 on paper before the truck came out. Once I drove it though i realized the 2.3 is the perfect choice. Tons of torque and HP. Feels very fast (and is). Easy to tune and you get a solid performance bump from just using premium fuel. I highly doubt the 2.7 will be on this generation unless they decide to bring a raptor out. Definitely not on the 2020. Many people feel they won’t bring a raptor until gen 6 though but who knows. It could really steal thunder from the bronco and the f150. Only thing that might twist their arm is if the Colorado gets a 2.7 for their Mid Cycle Refresh. My advice would be to drive the 2.3 and if you like it buy it. I haven’t heard a single person say it needs more engine. Motor1 has two articles in recent days with Raptor spy shots but it’s unknown if these are US Market cars. Whenever they bring it out they will sell a ton ton ton of them.

Last edited:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Ford has always been good about providing ample power for their trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they did offer more power for this platform in the future. Power sells and i'd be first in line to say yes please. However, I don't think my truck is lacking power in stock figure in any sense. Yet... ill be flashing that tune once its out. :muscle:

OP
OP
DannyL

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you driven the 2019 Ranger? Is it lacking power?

You will get your answer soon (hopefully August 2019) about what are the powertrain options for the 2020 Ranger.
Yes I have driven it and I love it. Like I said I'm good with the 2.3 if they don't but I love power. Lots of POWER. Notice my current car is a 2013 Mustang GT.
In any event I am very excited about this new Ranger and can't wait to get mine.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has always been good about providing ample power for their trucks.
You must have been away during the 5.4L years :LOL:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously, no offense but can we just stop it with the 2.7L stuff? I've had a smile on my face ever since I picked up my truck; the 2.3L Ecoboost has more than enough power to make this truck get up and go. If ford wants to do something special for a N/A Ranger Raptor then maybe the 2.7L is the ticket if they can squeeze it between the rails. Until then, to those that haven't taken delivery or are considering buying, I can assure you the Ranger is NOT down on power by any measure.
Sponsored