OP

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Right now I’m using the 12v cigarette outlet while I wait to hardwire it.
I did the same thing, then next step was to run the 12v through the headliner, between A pillar and gasket (I did not put under A pillar due to air bag), and under glove box (figured that is where I would mount battery backup) and then to that same 12v outlet under the center console trim.

I had every intention of doing the full wire to fuse, but the camera has been working great and I can't even see the wire at all. Don't really care it takes up the lighter. There is a delay where the cam stays on (mine anyway) for a while after I park, long enough it seems to cover me in a store lot, and then it shuts off. Haven't gotten much of an urge to do the fuse install it's working so well.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Well I tried to hardwire my dash cam yesterday, but after an hour trying and failing I gave up.

The problem with the Thinkware hardwire kit is that it requires a constant power fuse, and an ignition power fuse won’t work. I still need to go back and find a constant power fuse I can tap.

I did confirm that Fuse 37 (ignition power) will work with a conventional USB powered dash cam.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same boat, never had anything that high end. Everything is showing up next week! Including the truck! I can't wait to get started! Thanks @Josh for going through the how to!
My pleasure! Just make sure you have a wire coat hanger or something similar if your going to route the wire along the floorboard to the rear cam, makes it so much easier! Let me know if you have any questions during the install.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious, why not just wire the dash cam to mirror power?
Is there constant 12v and ignition 12v along with ground at the mirror plug? If so, that's all you need for dashcams that have a 'parking mode'. It gets more involved when you're running a backup battery like I am though.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered a Thinkware 800 Pro + add-a-fuse hardwire kit. Decided to just go with the front camera to save money.
Hey @rangerdanger which add-a-fuse kit did you use? Its a micro 2 fuse kit right (like this) ? (I'm in my office and ready to order one, but my truck is way out on the upper deck of the parking lot :LOL: ).

Thanks!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @rangerdanger which add-a-fuse kit did you use? Its a micro 2 fuse kit right (like this) ? (I'm in my office and ready to order one, but my truck is way out on the upper deck of the parking lot :LOL: ).

Thanks!
Micro 2 add-a-fuse is what I got. You need 2 however to make the Thinkware work, one for constant power and one for ignition power.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Micro 2 add-a-fuse is what I got. You need 2 however to make the Thinkware work, one for constant power and one for ignition power.
Did you include a Voltage monitor in the Constant Power line so you don't drain your battery if voltage drops too low?

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you include a Voltage monitor in the Constant Power line so you don't drain your battery if voltage drops too low?
The Thinkware unit can shut itself off at a voltage you set in settings. It can shut off at a voltage point, or after a given amount of time.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like @j0shm1lls said the Thinkware detects your battery level and shuts itself once it drains below the threshold you set (by default 12v).

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Thinkware unit can shut itself off at a voltage you set in settings. It can shut off at a voltage point, or after a given amount of time.
Good to see they integrated this capability! I've been waiting over 2 months for the Ford OEM Dashcam accressory and nothing shipped yet. If I can get my money back I just might go the Thinkware route!

Jerva

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
US Navy
Ok, so I forgot to order a add a fuse kit. Just realized it after I recieved my cam today lol. So what's a good one to order? Or does it matter? @j0shm1lls going for your setup if you have any advice.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I forgot to order a add a fuse kit. Just realized it after I recieved my cam today lol. So what's a good one to order? Or does it matter? @j0shm1lls going for your setup if you have any advice.
You can usually get them at Walmart, Autozone, etc.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You need a micro 2 add a fuse. There's tons of options on Amazon and as @chasvs said you can pretty much get them anywhere that sells car stuff.

Jerva

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
US Navy
@j0shm1lls and @chasvs thanks! I'm limited on island but I'll check out what I got!
Sponsored