Warning about Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
Is it common knowledge at reputable suspension shops to not reuse nylocs?
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Everything is still tight on mine. Hit everything with my impact.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the Ford Fox kit comes with all new nuts for re-install, and this thread explains why. What is the tie-rod nut torque spec anyhow 35ftlb?

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
KB3Z-3B477-A Halfshaft nut costs $10.50 at Tasca Ford, two for $20.98 plus shipping.
I priced them all at Tasca.

Qty. Part Number Description
2 – W716936-S442 Stabilizer bar link nut 12mm 6.96
6 – W520214-S440 Upper ball joint nut/rear shock nut 12mm 18.78
2 – KB3Z-3B477-A Halfshaft nut 20.98
2 – W520213-S440 Tie rod end nut 10mm 3.76
4 – W719057-S439 Rear shock bolt 12mm X 70mm 12.76

Total 63.24

350toRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I noticed the Ford Fox kit comes with all new nuts for re-install, and this thread explains why. What is the tie-rod nut torque spec anyhow 35ftlb?
To build on the above request, it would be very helpful is someone could post the torque specs for all of the nuts/bolts that have to be removed during the install of leveling spacers. So far I've seen that the Axle nut should be torqued to 221 ft lb, but I don't know the specs for anything else. Does someone have this info? If so, it will be greatly appreciated.

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F250 Platinum 57 Chevy 3800 96 F150 20 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
So as of January of 2021 RC is not adding new nyloc nuts for the tie rods or upper control arm to knuckle to their spacer
Level kit

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I have found a safety issue with the rough country 2.5" leveling kit though. I contacted rough country about it and then called back this morning to see what the engineers had said/found.

I had my leveling kit installed last Monday at a local shop who has a very good reputation, and who does good work. I drove the truck back and forth to work (30 min. Drive) for the week with no issues I noticed.
Saturday I drove the wife to Birmingham (1.5 hr. drive) and just as I exited the interstate, luckily slowing from 80mph to 20mph on the ramp, my front end went crazy, trying to pull left into oncoming traffic as I was making the right hand merge turn. I fought it over to the right hand side of the road in a construction zone and got it stopped.

When I looked at the front end, the passenger side tie rod had worked loose and came free. The threads on the ball joint were a little marred, but no damage had occurred. Of course I had a short stomping/cussing fit, then I walked the 45 min. in a thunderstorm to AutoZone and bought enough nuts and lock washers to insure I had the proper thread style, then walked back and repaired it and went home.

I took everything apart once home and checked the torques on everything, and paid close attention to the surviving tie rod end. Everything was up to spec's. Also, I inspected the tie rod that came loose for signs of faulty install (stripped threads, cross thread, etc.) and found nothing. But I did find the flaw.
The mechanic followed the install instructions from rough country to the letter. The problem is that whoever wrote them specified that you "retain the hardware" for the reinstall. Back in the "castle nut/cotter pin" days that was fine, but the 2019 Ranger front end doesn't have those, they use a version of a Nylok nut, which has the nylon retaining ring at the top.

A Nylok nut is a one time use nut, once loosened or removed, you should replace the nut, because it no longer safely holds torque. The mechanic didn't notice because he was following the instructions, I didn't notice it because I didn't check their work, and probably still would have missed it once installed.

Anyway, the guy from rough country told me this morning that the engineers said they are going to start including two new nuts for the tie rod ends. When I asked if they were going to contact the folks who already purchased the kit, I really never got a definitive answer, which is why I'm posting this here. I know it won't reach everyone, but if it saves someone from a wreck, then that's something, because I almost went diagonally into cross traffic, and the pucker factor was crazy high.

Pass this around please, so people check their installs. Those nuts are sold in pairs from Ford, pick some up and be safe.

Thanks
When I was a kid, rough country was a trusted top notch brand. Not sure what happened, bought out perhaps? Their led lights are from China, same as on Amazon they just rebadge them. I have a local source who is a distributor for both Baja and Rigid and he had one of the Chinese ones (they tried to copy a Rigid. I held them both side by side. Rigid was very heavy, quality built heat sync and stout brackets, glass lense, the knock off was light pot metal flimsy brackets you could squeeze with 2 fingers.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
This one shows they just detach the arm and the tie rod
I like that look a lot, by chance anyone know what hes setup as far as level/lift and wheel/tire size? I cant seem to find it anywhere