• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Crew Cab Long Bed option?

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
Has anyone heard any information confirming or denying if they will have a crew cab 6' bed option on the next gen Ranger? All of the spy shots I've seen so far seem to be the same length (supercab 6' bed, super crew 5' bed, and whatever long bed with the regular cab) which concerns me that they aren't planning to make it an option. I'm trying to make some decisions on my vehicles now. If the Ranger will be offered in that configuration, then I'll go ahead and sell my Wrangler soon. I can drive my F150 for another year until I can officially buy a Ranger. But if they don't offer a 6' bed option then I'll have to debate whether to trade them in on a Tacoma pretty soon. I much prefer the Ranger over the Tacoma, but I really want the functionality of the 6' bed.
Sponsored

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
I havenā€™t heard anything. Iā€™m hoping for that as well. But Iā€™m wondering if they will keep it like that trying to push ppl into an f150. They donā€™t want to hurt their precious f150 sales.

1DWN5UP

Has anyone heard any information confirming or denying if they will have a crew cab 6' bed option on the next gen Ranger? All of the spy shots I've seen so far seem to be the same length (supercab 6' bed, super crew 5' bed, and whatever long bed with the regular cab) which concerns me that they aren't planning to make it an option. I'm trying to make some decisions on my vehicles now. If the Ranger will be offered in that configuration, then I'll go ahead and sell my Wrangler soon. I can drive my F150 for another year until I can officially buy a Ranger. But if they don't offer a 6' bed option then I'll have to debate whether to trade them in on a Tacoma pretty soon. I much prefer the Ranger over the Tacoma, but I really want the functionality of the 6' bed.
Do you mind me asking why you want that combo? Crew cab + long bed is getting close to the length of an F150 but with significantly lower towing/payload and less interior space. The only advantage is its 6 inches narrower, which I suppose can be good for tight trails, but other than that this combo never made sense to me personally so I'm curious

OP
OP
Gator21

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
Do you mind me asking why you want that combo? Crew cab + long bed is getting close to the length of an F150 but with significantly lower towing/payload and less interior space. The only advantage is its 6 inches narrower, which I suppose can be good for tight trails, but other than that this combo never made sense to me personally so I'm curious
In my situation, width is the determining factor not length. I park on a major college campus every day, and the parking spot white lines are about 2 inches wider than my F150. 1. This causes me to miss out on parking spots because if any other vehicle is on the line I won't fit. If I miss out on that spot, I might have to drive around for another 30-45 minutes trying to find another open spot. Literally. 2. Even if I can fit in the spot, there's no guarantee that when I come out to my truck that the same vehicles will be beside me. If there is another large vehicle and/or one who parked close to or on the line, then I can't get in my truck which means I'm stranded until one of the vehicles beside me moves. 3. If everything goes perfectly and the vehicles beside me are in their white lines, I can still only prop my door open a couple inches to squeeze in. So 6 less inches of width makes the difference between me being able to get a spot and actually in/out of my vehicle and hopefully to do so comfortably. Considering this is a 5-6 day a week thing, that's huge in terms of my vehicle needs. Not to mention the rest of the city is fairly similar. Length comes into play every once in awhile, but it's mainly width.

I would like to have the 6' bed because there's been times I've wished my F150's bed was a little longer. I carry kayaks most frequently, and I prefer as much of it to be in the bed as possible. Yes, that one extra foot is being unnecessarily cautious, but it gives me more piece of mind. Additionally I carry my fishing poles in the bed and they're 6.5' long. That will fit diagonally in the 6' bed but I don't think it will in the 5' bed unless I raise part of it up. I do intend to put a cover on this truck, so that reduces how high I can prop it up. I've filled up the 5.5" bed and the the whole backseat area with it flipped up many times in my F150. I'm losing out on a substantial amount of interior cargo room and a good bit of exterior cargo room simply due to the width. Thus, I expect to need that extra foot a fair amount. Lastly, I might be interested in getting a topper in the future and camp out of the truck instead of using a tent. If I go that route, I'll for sure be wanting the bigger bed. I've had my F150 for over 11 years now, so I like to plan for future needs as well.

1DWN5UP

In my situation, width is the determining factor not length. I park on a major college campus every day, and the parking spot white lines are about 2 inches wider than my F150. 1. This causes me to miss out on parking spots because if any other vehicle is on the line I won't fit. If I miss out on that spot, I might have to drive around for another 30-45 minutes trying to find another open spot. Literally. 2. Even if I can fit in the spot, there's no guarantee that when I come out to my truck that the same vehicles will be beside me. If there is another large vehicle and/or one who parked close to or on the line, then I can't get in my truck which means I'm stranded until one of the vehicles beside me moves. 3. If everything goes perfectly and the vehicles beside me are in their white lines, I can still only prop my door open a couple inches to squeeze in. So 6 less inches of width makes the difference between me being able to get a spot and actually in/out of my vehicle and hopefully to do so comfortably. Considering this is a 5-6 day a week thing, that's huge in terms of my vehicle needs. Not to mention the rest of the city is fairly similar. Length comes into play every once in awhile, but it's mainly width.

I would like to have the 6' bed because there's been times I've wished my F150's bed was a little longer. I carry kayaks most frequently, and I prefer as much of it to be in the bed as possible. Yes, that one extra foot is being unnecessarily cautious, but it gives me more piece of mind. Additionally I carry my fishing poles in the bed and they're 6.5' long. That will fit diagonally in the 6' bed but I don't think it will in the 5' bed unless I raise part of it up. I do intend to put a cover on this truck, so that reduces how high I can prop it up. I've filled up the 5.5" bed and the the whole backseat area with it flipped up many times in my F150. I'm losing out on a substantial amount of interior cargo room and a good bit of exterior cargo room simply due to the width. Thus, I expect to need that extra foot a fair amount. Lastly, I might be interested in getting a topper in the future and camp out of the truck instead of using a tent. If I go that route, I'll for sure be wanting the bigger bed. I've had my F150 for over 11 years now, so I like to plan for future needs as well.
Makes sense. I've had to drive full-size trucks like F150 and Silverado for work before and always dreaded parking them in tight spaces so your point is kind of relatable. At least if Ranger doesn't come Crew+LB there's the newly redesigned 2022 Frontier that has that option and will fit nicely into parking spots.

Reactions: Doc

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
There has been no information on a different frame design. The 6G Ranger will use the Bronco frame. Not sure if it will be the same length frame. I would say no there will not be a 6' bed on a Screw. Unless new information and Spy photo's showing it are released.

OP
OP
Gator21

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
There has been no information on a different frame design. The 6G Ranger will use the Bronco frame. Not sure if it will be the same length frame. I would say no there will not be a 6' bed on a Screw. Unless new information and Spy photo's showing it are released.
Being built on the same line as the Bronco had me concerned it wouldnā€™t be an option as well. Itā€™s a shame if so.

Ford Ranger Crew Cab Long Bed option? Fvwl2fvXoAAYE9l copy 2

Ford Ranger Crew Cab Long Bed option? All-New Ford Ranger Raptor_01 copy

Last edited by a moderator:

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I can't agree more!!! I have been following the 5th gen Ranger since its development phase nearly 10 years ago. When the forbidden fruit (to the North American market) was finally introduced, I test drove one at the Charlotte Auto Show prior to them going on sale. I knew from that point on, the Ranger would be the truck to replace my 2002 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew.

Fast forward 3 more years and I'm still driving my nearly 20 year old F-150, which I purchased new. The fact that the current Ranger isn't available in the SuperCrew/Longbed configuration is an absolute deal breaker and total disappointment for me. Here is why....

I'm married w/ 2 kids and a dog, so a crew cab is an absolute must have! As for the 5' vs. 6' bed, I already think the 5.5' bed on my F-150 is small at times and I know I definitely don't want to go any smaller! Besides hauling loads of mulch and other building materials, I'm also a paddler (kayak, canoe and SUP), avid mtn. biker and backpacker. I'm also a BSA assistant scoutmaster and am often hauling scouts w/ camping gear into the backcountry, many times on narrow dirt roads (which are not as friendly to full-size trucks).

Having that extra foot of bed makes a big difference in hauling kayaks and bikes. With a 6' bed I can even haul mtn. bikes and other camping gear with the TAILGATE UP, which frees up the use of the 2" receiver hitch for towing or bike racks.

Due to the sheer physical size and price of the F-150 and other full-size trucks, I'm 100% sure I'm going for a mid-size to replace my F-150. The mid-size offerings have more than enough payload and towing ratings for my needs. Hands down the Ranger is the best mid-size option minus not having the SuperCrew/Longbed config. The Tacoma interior is cramped and seating position, so awkward, that alone is a deal breaker (and I'm only 5"8" and 205 lbs.) despite having the cab/bed config. I'd want.

To argue the point of why, Ford should make a SuperCrew/Longbed Ranger? Well for one, all of the BoF competition in the mid-size segment offers this config., including the new '22 Nissan Frontier (although I have yet to see an image one). I'm sure if the current gen Ranger where initially intended for the NA market, this elusive config. would already be available. Two, based on the 5th Gen Ranger dimensions, adding a foot to the overall length (211") and wheelbase (126.8") would roughly make the LWB version (223") and (138.8"). This hypothetical size would still be quiet a bit smaller than a SuperCrew F-150 with a 5.5' bed. It's length 231.7 (+8.7") and WB 145.4" (+6.6"). Third, Ford already makes the 6' box for the SuperCab configuration and modifying the frame to extend the wheelbase is low hanging fruit when it comes to engineering and manufacturing. My fourth and final point is with the Maverick slotting in as a compact offering, the Ranger has room to grow an inch or two in dimensions to better split the difference, between the compact and full-size trucks in their lineup.

I can't be more hopeful for Ford to bring us an amazing 6th Gen Ranger complete with a SuperCrew/Longbed configuration. Personally, I'd build an overland dream right from the factory... a 2023 Ranger SuperCrew/longbed 4x4 Lariat with a Tremor package. Until then, I'll keep driving my worn out looking '02 F-150 SuperCrew.

Ford, I hope you are reading this!!! -Brian, Charlotte, NC

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I agree. I was disappointed to learn the 22 Frontier will not include a Pro4X long bed, would have to be an SV. I want the upgraded trim materials l, rear locker, and Dana axle so the SV is a no go. I hate to wait on the next Tacoma, likely 2023 to get a 6kā€™ bed with crew cab and upper trim level equipment. So hoping Ford comes through with a Tremor or FX4 crew 6ā€™ bed.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Sat in the 2022 Frontier today. The backseat is no better than the outgoing model and still trails other midsize trucks. Definitely scratching it off the list.

Sponsored

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
One can hope. Like most said, length is not a problem for me and the added space with the 6 foot bed would be amazing compare to only 5.

I'm sure Ford will step up since they usually have the most configuration options for trucks. Except for the Ranger, where they just transplanted what was available elsewhere.

Marcuscanby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Safety
A ranger would be my next truck if they offered a crew cab 6ā€™ bed. I have kiddos with car seats but still need to sleep in the bed when I camp. Looks like Iā€™ll stick with my frontier.