TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
So, the dealer I bought it at said "Oh, the tech has to drive and see.". I said I'll be picking up my truck. Taking it my buddy's dealer and he's just going to write it up and do it.
So I am guessing this means you don't need to take your Ranger to the dealer you bought it from for TSB work? I have a dealer close to where I work that does good work.
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine Saturday; the blend date on it was 1/28/2019. It has about 135 miles on it now. It was shifting rough on take off up to about 30 or 40 MPH. This lasted until yesterday (about 120 miles on it). It seems to be shifting smoother in the lower MPH range now; I think it is still in the shift point learning process. When I bought it, I asked the dealer to check the TSBs and apply all that were applicable to my VIN; not sure what they actually did. I'm taking it back Monday for trailer hitch, spray-in bed liner and window tinting. If it is still shifting rough I will ask the service department to take a look at it then.
A number of us have been trying to figure out the trailer hitch/harness. Some people think it's backordered. There is definitely confusion around what needs to be done to add it. If you are able to get your hitch added, can you please try and take some notes? Maybe a before/after pic of the install area? These are the kind of questions:

- Besides the physical hitch what is provided? A harness with 7-pin connector? Anything else?
- Is any sort of computer flash needed to get the new connector functional?
- Do you already have the tow/haul button or is that added with the hitch?

Thank you, this is an area of some mystery!

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
So I am guessing this means you don't need to take your Ranger to the dealer you bought it from for TSB work? I have a dealer close to where I work that does good work.
You can take it anywhere you want. There's nothing that says you have to.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
So, the dealer I bought it at said "Oh, the tech has to drive and see.". I said I'll be picking up my truck. Taking it my buddy's dealer and he's just going to write it up and do it.
Just tell em that it "Idles at about 1400 rpm , when 1st starting after sitting over night and if you need to keep it to verify that, I'll need a loaner to drive". Same TSB applies.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Just tell em that it "Idles at about 1400 rpm , when 1st starting after sitting over night and if you need to keep it to verify that, I'll need a loaner to drive". Same TSB applies.
Not going to bother. My buddy will just get it done.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
A number of us have been trying to figure out the trailer hitch/harness. Some people think it's backordered. There is definitely confusion around what needs to be done to add it. If you are able to get your hitch added, can you please try and take some notes? Maybe a before/after pic of the install area? These are the kind of questions:

- Besides the physical hitch what is provided? A harness with 7-pin connector? Anything else?
- Is any sort of computer flash needed to get the new connector functional?
- Do you already have the tow/haul button or is that added with the hitch?

Thank you, this is an area of some mystery!
I'll attempt to answer as many of the questions as I can on Monday when it goes back to the dealer. Here's what I can tell you now:

* I believe they will include a 7 pin and 4 pin connector. See photo of Ranger (3rd photo) on the showroom floor that I took on Saturday as I was sizing up the situation.

* Not sure about whether or not a computer flash is needed. I will ask.

* Yes, I already have the tow mode button. Photo below.

Here's what I was told by the dealer General Manager and aftermarket sales person:

* the tow package is installed by a Ford tech. They are having to check for his availability.
* it includes the bolt-on hitch and the wiring.
* View attachment 6574 View attachment 6575 View attachment 6576 View attachment 6574 View attachment 6575 View attachment 6576 View attachment 6577 there is a punch-out on the plastic part of the bumper. That is where the 7 pin and 4 pin connectors will go. The wiring pigtail is already there, just has to be connected.

Hope that helps. I update Monday night after the work is done.

Bumper.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

Factory Hitch.jpg

Tow Mode Button.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I'll attempt to answer as many of the questions as I can on Monday when it goes back to the dealer. Here's what I can tell you now:

* I believe they will include a 7 pin and 4 pin connector. See photo of Ranger (3rd photo) on the showroom floor that I took on Saturday as I was sizing up the situation.

Here's what I was told by the dealer General Manager and aftermarket sales person:

* the tow package is installed by a Ford tech. They are having to check for his availability.
* View attachment 6574 View attachment 6575 View attachment 6576 View attachment 6574 View attachment 6575 View attachment 6576 View attachment 6577 there is a punch-out on the plastic part of the bumper. That is where the 7 pin and 4 pin connectors will go. The wiring pigtail is already there, just has to be connected.

Hope that helps. I update Monday night after the work is done.

Bumper.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

Factory Hitch.jpg

Tow Mode Button.jpg
This is already very helpful. Thank you for so much for the follow ups!

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I just took my Ranger in for the TSB this morning, they updated the PCM software I hope to see the same results. Thanks for posting this, was helpful to be able to walk in and quote the TSB.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Just got it done and now it's learning.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It's learning but smoothing out. I do hate the 1-3 shift though. I'll have my tuner get rid of any skip shifting.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
I got the TSB done today and........not much difference if any at all. I do think that the vibration at take off isn't as bad but I need to get more seat time to be sure. I have only put about 5 miles on the new program and that includes making sure to have the tranny go through the gears as much as possible to get it to "learn". Time will tell but for my first impression, not much different.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4

Hope that helps. I will update Monday night after the work is done.

Bumper.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

Factory Hitch.jpg

Tow Mode Button.jpg
Got all my accessories done yesterday. The spray in bed liner and window tint was all good.

The trailer tow package was ALMOST as well. It was the first one the aftermarket guy had done in this area, so it took him a while. It was done by Ford's authorized aftermarket company using genuine Ford parts. They were running late, so I was looking more at the window tint and checking for over-spray on the painted surfaces. I did do a quick visual inspection of the trailer hitch and all seemed fine. It was getting late and I had to go to hospital visitation in just a few minutes. Later, at home, I was looking further into it and noticed the 7 pin connector and 4-pin connector had NOT been installed. So, today I emailed the dealer and they are trying to figure out what's what and what's not. I bet they tell me that the wiring harness is back ordered. More on this later.

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It's learning but smoothing out. I do hate the 1-3 shift though. I'll have my tuner get rid of any skip shifting.
I agree with this. It is better for sure. Seems to hold lower gears longer now before shifting and perhaps as RCMUSTANG has said skips gears, I’ll have check for that now.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
i got mine taken care of middle this week and it is a big difference. No issues from what I can tell.
Sponsored