WiFi in the Ranger

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda

1. Does the Ranger/Sync-3 allow for connection to home WiFi?
2. After the 3 months data plan expires, how will the navigation piece get updates?
3. If a cell phone is connected via Ranger USB, can the Ranger use internet from the Cell phone?
4, Can a cell phone be used as a hot spot that the Ranger can connect to?
4. When 3 month data plan expires, can (non RF) remote starting still occur ?
Sponsored

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
2. After the 3 months data plan expires, how will the navigation piece get updates?
3. If a cell phone is connected via Ranger USB, can the Ranger use internet from the Cell phone?
What is the 3 month data plan you refer to? According to Ford, Sync Connect is provided for 5 years after purchase: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-...what-is-ford-connect-powered-by-fordpass.html
Vehicles equipped with SYNC Connect: SYNC Connect is an optional feature on select 2017 and newer model year vehicles and includes service for five years from the vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
1. Yes, SYNC-3 will connect to your home WiFi, I've connected to mine while sitting in the garage. (now it's not a hotspot pass through to your home WiFi, but the function of Automatic Updates connects to home WiFi)
2. Don't know, I think via USB updates, will have to look at owners manual to see what it says
3. I don't think so, my test didn't work, the function of the USB connection is for Apple CarPlay/Android connection and charging only I'm thinking
4.Yes, I've connected to my cellphone hotspot
5. Not sure, mine hasn't expired yet

Hope these have helped.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is the 3 month data plan you refer to? According to Ford, Sync Connect is provided for 5 years after purchase: https://owner.ford.com/support/how-...what-is-ford-connect-powered-by-fordpass.html
FORDPASS CONNECT 4GWIFI - comes with a 3 month/3GB free service which ever is passes first. 3 month after you activate or 3GB of data usage then you need to buy a plan to keep the 4GWIFI active

Your vehicle may have the ability to access certain operational features through the FordPass app, including locking and unlocking the doors, remote start and remote stop. These features may not be available on all vehicle makes and models and are not currently available through the Site.

Note: FordPass Connect is an optional feature on select vehicles (SYNC Connect for 2017/2018 model year vehicles) and FordPass Connect Service is required for certain features. FordPass Connect on 2018 and prior model year vehicles includes a 5-year trial for remote features. FordPass Connect for 2019 and later model year vehicles includes a 1-year trial for remote features.

FordPass Connect service or Feature functionality is subject to compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks may affect functionality and availability, or continued provision of some features, prohibiting them from functioning. Certain restrictions, 3rd-party terms, or message/data rates may apply.

Complimentary trial includes the following features:

· remote start/stop/lock/unlock

· scheduling a remote start

· vehicle status

· locating your vehicle where last parked.

Excludes Wi-Fi hotspot and starts on vehicle sale date (after which, fees apply).

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Note: FordPass Connect is an optional feature on select vehicles (SYNC Connect for 2017/2018 model year vehicles) and FordPass Connect Service is required for certain features. FordPass Connect on 2018 and prior model year vehicles includes a 5-year trial for remote features. FordPass Connect for 2019 and later model year vehicles includes a 1-year trial for remote features.
Love how this is left out of the Ford owner info site I linked to, which states all 2017 and newer models get 5 years. :like:

Thanks for the clarity, though I'm still confused. Is the 4G service separate from FordPass Connect? Does FordPass Connect use the same telematics system as the 4G connection, the difference being FordPass Connect only works with FordPass features while 4G provides WiFi hotspot data?

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor

FordPass Connect service or Feature functionality is subject to compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks may affect functionality and availability, or continued provision of some features, prohibiting them from functioning. Certain restrictions, 3rd-party terms, or message/data rates may apply.

Complimentary trial includes the following features:

· remote start/stop/lock/unlock

· scheduling a remote start

· vehicle status

· locating your vehicle where last parked.

Excludes Wi-Fi hotspot and starts on vehicle sale date (after which, fees apply).
So what's the charge going to be for that after 1 year? Probably something outrageous like $150+ a year just to have remote unlocking and engine start. :(

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So what's the charge going to be for that after 1 year? Probably something outrageous like $150+ a year just to have remote unlocking and engine start. :(
I hope they will tie it into the WiFi service if people have that subscription, but who knows.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
After looking into the whole Wi-Fi issue. Here are my findings 1. Connecting you Ranger to your home Wi-Fi works great@ 2.4 or 5Ghz. 2. The Ranger Wi-Fi Hot Spot ESN (as well as Bluetooth ESN) is visible in the main menu and must be activated online (www.att.com/ford) to activate the 3 month/GB trial plan, purchase a data plan and view payment details. 3. Activating the Ranger Hot Spot gives you and your passengers the ability to connect with their phones or tablets, 24/7/365. 4. Why do you need Wi-Fi at all? Answer: updates to Sync 3, Navigation etc. and, giving you and your passenger’s the luxury of a Hot Spot. 5. You can rename the Ranger Hot Spot SSID, change the password and edit security protocols from the main menu. 6. Remote starting, door lock/unlock, fuel level, air pressure(s), and general health of the Ranger is obtained with the FORD PASS application for your smartphone (a non-RF protocol) and will remain active for 1 year from date of your activation date. “Activation pending” is what everyone sees when the truck exits the Michigan Ford Ranger production line, via the FORD PASS application on your phone. You will be prompted to activate when you start the Ranger while you are sitting in the truck with your smartphone in hand. 7. Key FOB’s give you the capability to lock, unlock and remote start (an RF protocol).

BLUF: Just connect the Ranger to your home Wi-Fi. Additionally, you can activate your Ranger Wi-Fi Hot Spot if you wish but IMHO it’s a feature that you can live without, especially true if your cell service is good and by parking it overnight in the driveway where it connects to a home Wi-Fi, it will always have the latest patches and fixes.

Last edited:

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After looking into the whole Wi-Fi issue. Here are my findings 1. Connecting you Ranger to your home Wi-Fi works great...until you shut your truck off. After restarting the truck, the Wi-Fi connection process needs to happen again. i.e. it does not auto re-connect to your home Wi-Fi. Looks like Ford relies on the built in Ranger Wi-Fi Hot Spot being active (subscribed and enabled). 2. The Ranger Wi-Fi Hot Spot ESN (as well as Bluetooth ESN) is visible in the main menu and must be activated online (www.att.com/ford) to activate the 3 month/GB trial plan, purchase a data plan and view payment details. 3. Activating the Ranger Hot Spot gives you and your passengers the ability to connect with their phones or tablets, 24/7/365. 4. Why do you need Wi-Fi at all? Answer: updates to Sync 3, Navigation etc. and, giving you and your passenger’s the luxury of a Hot Spot. 5. You can rename the Ranger Hot Spot SSID, change the password and edit security protocols from the main menu. 6. Remote starting, door lock/unlock, fuel level, air pressure(s), and general health of the Ranger is obtained with the FORD PASS application for your smartphone (a non-RF protocol) and will remain active for 5 years from date of your activation date. “Activation pending” is what everyone sees when the truck exits the Michigan Ford Ranger production line, via the FORD PASS application on your phone. You will be prompted to activate when you start the Ranger while you are sitting in the truck with your smartphone in hand. 7. Key FOB’s give you the capability to lock, unlock and remote start (an RF protocol).

BLUF: Just connect the Ranger to your home Wi-Fi occasionally while sitting in your driveway, search for updates, once updates are completed- your done until the next time you wish to search for updates again. You can activate your Ranger Wi-Fi Hot Spot if you wish but IMHO it’s a feature that you can live without, especially true if your cell service is good.
#6. 2019 and later models the FORD PASS is only free for a year.
FordPass Connect on 2018 and prior model year vehicles includes a 5-year trial for remote features. FordPass Connect for 2019 and later model year vehicles includes a 1-year trial for remote features.

Seaaggie

First Name
Orrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Edge / 19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
So I'm in the ordering process now and just learned about Ranger connecting to your home wifi for updates as well as the ability to have in-vehicle wifi while traveling. I checked out the pricing on the AT&T website Monty linked above and here's what I found - if you're already an AT&T customer you can add Ranger onto your mobile share plan for $10/month or $20/month for unlimited plans. If you want to go the pre-paid route, you can buy 2GB every 30 days for $15 or do their 'connected car prepaid unlimited' for $25/month, $250/year or $450/48months.

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f 150/2020 Polaris sportsman
Occupation
retired tin knocker local 12 Pittsburgh

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I have not been able to receive SYNC3 software update notifications when in the range of my home Wifi.

Concerning these notifications, a Ford Tech Support Rep. told me this:

1. The SYNC3 system in the Truck will notify you on the screen of Software Updates needed only when I am within range of my home WiFi and If I stay in range and keep the motor running it will lead me thru the update process.

2. Also, Ford Pass App will notify me with a popup message when a new Software Update is available.

NOTE: I have never received any notifications per the above two methods. I have had to check Ford’s website to see if I have an update available. I don’t have Navigation or a modem on my Truck. So I do the SYNC3 software updates via USB Flash Drive. I have my Wifi message notification mode turned on in the Truck's system. My security doorbell works fine through my home Wifi. Any ideas of what is going on here?

Thanks,
Paul

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have not been able to receive SYNC3 software update notifications when in the range of my home Wifi.

Concerning these notifications, a Ford Tech Support Rep. told me this:

1. The SYNC3 system in the Truck will notify you on the screen of Software Updates needed only when I am within range of my home WiFi and If I stay in range and keep the motor running it will lead me thru the update process.

2. Also, Ford Pass App will notify me with a popup message when a new Software Update is available.

NOTE: I have never received any notifications per the above two methods. I have had to check Ford’s website to see if I have an update available. I don’t have Navigation or a modem on my Truck. So I do the SYNC3 software updates via USB Flash Drive. I have my Wifi message notification mode turned on in the Truck's system. My security doorbell works fine through my home Wifi. Any ideas of what is going on here?

Thanks,
Paul
First of all if you have a modem in your truck. It is how FordPass communicates with your truck.
Second I don't believe Ford has turned on WIFI updates for the recent updates to SYNC3. @UofMEngineer can verify this.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
First of all if you have a modem in your truck. It is how FordPass communicates with your truck.
Second I don't believe Ford has turned on WIFI updates for the recent updates to SYNC3. @UofMEngineer can verify this.

Thanks. I do receive current mileage, vehicle location, fuel level, oil life remaining, etc. through Ford Pass. Is this a different communication system other than WiFi (data, bluetooth?) that is not coming from Ford but directly from my Truck's system?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation