Vibration at take off

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am now at 1800 miles and combined with 92 OCT gas the vibration seems to have gone away. With warmer weather (and possibly more miles) the transmission shifting has improved as well. I don't entirely trust this newfound smoothness though, so we'll see what happens over more time.
Sponsored

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
My Ranger has the vibration on take off. It does it under light throttle even when the truck is moving at a low speed and you lightly dip into the throttle and I have 2200 miles on my truck. These guys noticed it as well in their test truck at 11:24 in their video here,

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
My Ranger has the vibration on take off. It does it under light throttle even when the truck is moving at a low speed and you lightly dip into the throttle and I have 2200 miles on my truck. These guys noticed it as well in their test truck at 11:24 in their video here,
Have you gotten the TSB fix yet?

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
It's good to know I'm not a crazy person. Now, I'd be even happier to find out there's a fix.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Mine seems to be lessened since the TSB on the ECU reprogram that involved the rough idle/shifting. It's still relearning.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
I also posted this under the TSB thread but I wanted to post it here as well,

I got the TSB done today and........not much difference if any at all. I do think that the vibration at take off isn't as bad but I need to get more seat time to be sure. I have only put about 5 miles on the new program and that includes making sure to have the tranny go through the gears as much as possible to get it to "learn". Time will tell but for my first impression, not much different.

19SilverRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 Ford Mustang GT
I also posted this under the TSB thread but I wanted to post it here as well,

I got the TSB done today and........not much difference if any at all. I do think that the vibration at take off isn't as bad but I need to get more seat time to be sure. I have only put about 5 miles on the new program and that includes making sure to have the tranny go through the gears as much as possible to get it to "learn". Time will tell but for my first impression, not much different.
Anyone found a solve for this? Dealer won’t do the TSB since mines a later build. Vibration is better but still there and noticeable.

On a side note it seems to go away in 4WD. Had the car valeted the other night, and it was in 4WD when I got it. Drove about 5 miles before I noticed, but no vibration. Wondering if it has something to do with the transfer case on 4x4 models. My neighbor has a 4x2 Ranger and no vibration.

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
Anyone found a solve for this? Dealer won’t do the TSB since mines a later build. Vibration is better but still there and noticeable.

On a side note it seems to go away in 4WD. Had the car valeted the other night, and it was in 4WD when I got it. Drove about 5 miles before I noticed, but no vibration. Wondering if it has something to do with the transfer case on 4x4 models. My neighbor has a 4x2 Ranger and no vibration.
Interesting.... I have the 4x4... slight vibration on take off and coming to a stop. Doesn’t bother me but it is noticeable. This should be further investigated

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
I know this is an old thread, but count me in the group with the shudder. Built date in April. Was going to get some more mileage on it to see if it gets better before bringing it in.......

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Vibration is especially noticeable at takeoff with a heavy trailer.
I’ve climbed under, and the driveshaft support bushing/steady bearing/guibo bushing has tons of play, you can move it a lot by hand, but isn’t torn in any way. I’ve stuck a go-pro under the truck and you’re able to see the driveshaft deflection at this joint, under spirited acceleration. As the vibration certainly feels and seems like u joint deflection. I can’t even get the local dealerships to entertain this theory, as “the steady bearing bushing isn’t torn”.
After building several off road and race vehicles, the vibration to me certainly feels and looks like driveshaft mis-alignment under load, but that’s just my opinion

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Install either a GFB boost diverter or a kompact BOV, it will get rid off your problems

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Vibration is especially noticeable at takeoff with a heavy trailer.
I’ve climbed under, and the driveshaft support bushing/steady bearing/guibo bushing has tons of play, you can move it a lot by hand, but isn’t torn in any way. I’ve stuck a go-pro under the truck and you’re able to see the driveshaft deflection at this joint, under spirited acceleration. As the vibration certainly feels and seems like u joint deflection. I can’t even get the local dealerships to entertain this theory, as “the steady bearing bushing isn’t torn”.
After building several off road and race vehicles, the vibration to me certainly feels and looks like driveshaft mis-alignment under load, but that’s just my opinion
Hi Marshal,

The condition you are experiencing is called Startup Shudder and is systemic of two piece driveshafts with a center bearing. It is not misalignment but unfortunately a symptom of the design. It can be adjusted by shimming the center bearing, increasing of decreasing the hardness of the center bearing for example. Not likely you will be able to make any changes to help the condition.

Since I managed Ford Offroad Racing for 25 years, what sort of offroad racing vehicles did you build? In off road racing mostly all used a single piece driveshaft of much larger diameter than a street vehicle. What did you use? Single piece driveshafts are prone to critical speed, especially Trick or Trophy trucks and we helped the teams calculate how to avoid the jump rope effect of first order driveshaft speed. Composites and Aluminum are key here.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retied

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve built my date share of most crawlers, typically Jeeps, which typically have short driveshafts. The race cars I’ve campained/built have been older Rx7s, e30 BMWs, and a Merkur XR4ti. In this event, the 2 piece driveshafts were always removed in favour of a 1 piece, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
TSB 19-2197 greatly improved my trucks performance which sounds similar to what is being described here.
Might be worth a service or at least a complaint to Ford to address what appears to be a common issue.
Sponsored