Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
To do a "professional" oil and filter change (Ford recommended) please inspect the Ranger5g 2019 Ranger Technical Shop Manuals .

Under Sticky Threads (above)
2019 Ranger Technical Shop Manuals
Under 300 - Powertrain
303-01 General Procedures - Engine Oil Draining and Filling <---- PDF - just copy.

You need a torque wrench with a range capable of 20-100 # foot for this professional maintenance procedure!

Torque: Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug - 20 # foot (27 Nm)
Oil Filter - tightening - 71 # inch (8 Nm)
Skid Plate Bolts - tightening - 22 # foot (30 Nm)

(To convert torque from lbs. foot (foot lbs.) to inch pounds just multiply by 12)

Also, this document added brake cleaner fluid spray as another consumable for this maintenance procedure.

The only unknown is whether the rubber washer on the oil pan drain plug/bolt needs to be replaced every oil change time or just installed back into the engine oil pan without replacement? This is very critical because you could have oil leaks!
Part number for Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug - ????
Part number for Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug Washer - ????

Update: 3/11/19 10:20 P.M
Changed Oil Filter torque from 71 # foot to 71 # inch
Sponsored

Last edited:

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
To do a "professional" oil and filter change (Ford recommended) please inspect the Ranger5g 2019 Ranger Technical Shop Manuals .

Under Sticky Threads (above)
2019 Ranger Technical Shop Manuals
Under 300 - Powertrain
303-01 General Procedures - Engine Oil Draining and Filling <---- PDF - just copy.

You need a torque wrench with a range capable of 20-100 # foot for this professional maintenance procedure!

Torque: Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug - 20 # foot (27 Nm)
Oil Filter - tightening - 71 # foot (8 Nm)
Skid Plate Bolts - tightening - 22 # foot (30 Nm)

(To convert torque from lbs. foot (foot lbs.) to inch pounds just multiply by 12)

Also, this document added brake cleaner fluid spray as another consumable for this maintenance procedure.

The only unknown is whether the rubber washer on the oil pan drain plug/bolt needs to be replaced every oil change time or just installed back into the engine oil pan without replacement? This is very critical because you could have oil leaks!
Part number for Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug - ????
Part number for Oil Pan Drain Bolt/Plug Washer - ????
Missing a decimal point, 71 ft-lb for the oil filter? Just pointing it out so no one goes crazy on it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Missing a decimal point, 71 ft-lb for the oil filter? Just pointing it out so no one goes crazy on it.
Following the service guide, it is actually a 2 stage process (never seen that before for an oil filter):
Stage 1: 71 lb.in (8 Nm)
Stage 2: 180

So tighten to 71 lb inches and then go 180 degrees from that.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Following the service guide, it is actually a 2 stage process (never seen that before for an oil filter):
Stage 1: 71 lb.in (8 Nm)
Stage 2: 180

So tighten to 71 lb inches and then go 180 degrees from that.
There's a very important distinction between foot pounds and inch pounds that's coming and going in this thread. I pity the first person to torque their filter more than 10x spec.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's a very important distinction between foot pounds and inch pounds that's coming and going in this thread. I pity the first person to torque their filter more than 10x spec.
Big blunder, my bad, but the document is still the final word on the oil / filter "professional" change out.

For me, without having the 71 pound inch torque wrench, (not recommended) I would just tightened the oil filter to make rubber/metal contact by hand then twist it 180 degrees by hand. I would mark the oil filter with a sharpie pen or a piece of tape for guiding in the hand twist rotation of 180 degrees.
(71 pounds inch = ~ 5.916 pounds foot)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It was apparent to me when you see the Newton Meters in parenthesis..... Yeah, I can't imagine trying to torque an oil filter to 71 foot pounds!!!! I pity the guy who would have to take that one off at the next oil change! :)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The need for a specialized, expensive torque wrench for this oil/filter change is probably met with great skepticism to why it is really needed.

If you tightened a bolt too tight, it could destroy the threads and/or stretch the bolt for future failure or breakage.
If you tightened a bolt too loose - it could vibrate, loosen or fall off the machinery.
The torque wrench, with the proper specified torque setting, is used to prevent both of the above cases from happening. (only if the torque wrench is used right - see torque wrench instructions)

The oil pan drain bolt/plug is critical because over tightening could destroy the engine oil pan threads and this will result in hundreds of dollars in repair bills.
Having the drain plug too loose will cause oil leakages which could destroy the engine due to lack of oil.
Unless you have a lot of money to blow - have a torque wrench handy for this oil/filter changeout.

Drip calculator trivia - A slow oil leak of 1 drip per minute will waste/lose 18 ounces of oil in a day!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Anyone installed the Fumoto yet? I ordered the Fumoto but don't have my ranger yet unfortunately

I've used them on many other vehicles and will never go back to taking out a drain plug...it's too easy with the Fumoto, especially if I don't have to take off the skid plate

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the valve, and I'm at 3400 miles, just about time for me to change the oil. I'll let you know how the install goes, It's basically threading in a bolt though. (I installed one on my jeep)

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Whaaaa?
Wow, many old ways here. Time to get into the 21st century folks.

1) get a MityVac MV7201, used for many things (engine, diff, trans, etc)
2) modern day full-synth oil can easily go 10k miles in this engine.
3) if you don't know how the oil is degrading with use, then get a BlackStone report done, adjust oil changes as needed.

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the exact size that fits our truck?
I ordered it based on the rs and the explorer, so I don’t know if it’s exactly correct, but it’s also the one listed for my wife’s edge as well. I suspect it’s right. I won’t have it installed until next week at the earliest though.

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Just did my oil change at 1200 miles. The drain plug is no reusable as the washer is built in. Ford sold me a new one for 14 dollars. Thats going to get pricey, so I ordered the FUMOTO valve. I have one on my Grand Cherokee and love it. I used 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and I had a little bit left over. The truck was hot and sat for about 30 minutes before hand and drained for about 10 minutes until the stream stopped.
No need to pull the tire. There are plastic screws to hold in the wheel liner on the drivers side. Take a few out and the filter is right there. There is even a drain channel to divert back to an easy spot to put a catch pan. I took my filter OFF by hand so i figured back on by hand was good enough. I checked after 100 miles and it was still tight and no drips. Job done.
Skid plate was easy to remove but with the FUMOTO valve you can leave the skid plate on.
Overall I rate this as pretty easy job. Easier than a Subaru, harder than a VW golf.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just did my oil change at 1200 miles. The drain plug is no reusable as the washer is built in. Ford sold me a new one for 14 dollars. Thats going to get pricey, so I ordered the FUMOTO valve. I have one on my Grand Cherokee and love it. I used 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and I had a little bit left over. The truck was hot and sat for about 30 minutes before hand and drained for about 10 minutes until the stream stopped.
No need to pull the tire. There are plastic screws to hold in the wheel liner on the drivers side. Take a few out and the filter is right there. There is even a drain channel to divert back to an easy spot to put a catch pan. I took my filter OFF by hand so i figured back on by hand was good enough. I checked after 100 miles and it was still tight and no drips. Job done.
Skid plate was easy to remove but with the FUMOTO valve you can leave the skid plate on.
Overall I rate this as pretty easy job. Easier than a Subaru, harder than a VW golf.
Been changing oil in Fords for about a million total miles, never once replaced the drain plug due to the washer. Fumoto is still sitting on my counter, though now I have the right oil, and the FL400s ready to go. Currently sitting at 4600 miles.
Sponsored