What are you guys towing?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Coming from my Jeep which was my last tow vehicle "knowing the trailer is attached" is definitely a step up. I was also sad to discover that the blind spot monitor only works with trailers shorter than 8', which is basically no trailer. (maybe a cement mixer???)
per the manual, 8.2 feet is the maximum width (front of trailer, not protruding wheel wells); the maximum length is 33 feet
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My truck literally asked me "Is the trailer longer than 8'?" when I selected "Yes" it said that it had disabled the blindspot monitoring. Now, there's a possibility I misread it, but longer and wider are quite different words.

It's possible that there is a bad translation to American English from another language that could account for the misused word though.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My truck literally asked me "Is the trailer longer than 8'?" when I selected "Yes" it said that it had disabled the blindspot monitoring. Now, there's a possibility I misread it, but longer and wider are quite different words.

It's possible that there is a bad translation to American English from another language that could account for the misused word though.
I'd check it again. Full text of manual:

You can set-up a trailer to work with the
system through the information display.
See General Information (page 87).
When setting up a trailer, a sequence of
screens appear asking for trailer
information.
• Select Trailer Screen: Trailer A, Trailer
B or Trailer C.
Select one of the trailers and press OK.
The menu goes to the next screen.
• Is the width less than 8.2 ft (2.5 m) and
length less than 33 ft (10 m)?
If no, the system turns off.
If yes, the menu goes to the next screen.
• Trailer width measurement:
The width of the trailer is measured at the
front of the trailer. It is not measured at the
widest point of the trailer. The maximum
width at the front of the trailer that the
system can support is 8.2 ft (2.5 m).
Note: You do not need to enter an exact
trailer width measurement. You only need
to confirm that the width of the trailer is
8.2 ft (2.5 m) or less.
• Trailer length measurement:
The trailer length is the distance between
the trailer hitch ball and the rear of the
trailer. The maximum length that the
system can support is 33 ft (10 m).
• Enter length of trailer:
Toggling up or down using the menu
buttons increases or decreases the
measurement by 3 ft (1 m). Select a length
that is equal to or within 3 ft (1 m) of the
actual measured length. For example, if
the actual measured length is 25 ft (7.6 m),
toggle the length in the menu to 27 ft
(8.2 m). When you enter the length of the
trailer, the system setup is saved.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, I agree that 8' sounds ridiculous, so there's a good possibility I read it wrong. I'll be re-hooking to the camper sometime soon to verify. It's most likely I was excited that the controller worked and I misread it.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
I also don't think there is any sort of flash that a dealer can do for the Redarc controller. I think the talk about a flash and info showing up on the Ranger's dash screen came from the controller from Ford parts for the F150's (that don't have the built-in controller). I think early on, some folks made the assumption that the Redarc that will be available through Ford parts, will install the same way, but I haven't seen any evidence that the Ranger will have some sort of dealer flash to get controller info to come up on the dash screen.

The built-in blind spot monitoring with trailer coverage is a cool feature that has come over from the full size pickups, that will work well for most every Ranger owner towing a trailer.

jhgr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
I also don't think there is any sort of flash that a dealer can do for the Redarc controller. I think the talk about a flash and info showing up on the Ranger's dash screen came from the controller from Ford parts for the F150's (that don't have the built-in controller). I think early on, some folks made the assumption that the Redarc that will be available through Ford parts, will install the same way, but I haven't seen any evidence that the Ranger will have some sort of dealer flash to get controller info to come up on the dash screen.

The built-in blind spot monitoring with trailer coverage is a cool feature that has come over from the full size pickups, that will work well for most every Ranger owner towing a trailer.
What is the name of the controller you have, and is it simple to install. is there extra wiring to hook it up?

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Right, I agree that 8' sounds ridiculous, so there's a good possibility I read it wrong. I'll be re-hooking to the camper sometime soon to verify. It's most likely I was excited that the controller worked and I misread it.
@t4thfavor Yeah, you probably read it wrong during the trailer setup. The Blind Spot monitor will work with trailers from 18' long up to 33' as long as they are no wider than 8.2'. You can also store up to three different trailer lengths in the memory. You can actually set it from the dash display without a trailer attached.

It's under "Driver Assist" > "Blind Spot" > "Trailer"
7E818F05-812F-4A87-9618-51CC6F450162.jpeg

1DEAD31C-2378-4599-82CE-1CE5B34752C6.jpeg

AD2979BD-0388-469F-83DF-8E6562829F97.jpeg

You can then set which Trailer memory that you want to set (A, B, or C). Followed by two prompts, the first asking if the trailer is less than 8.2' in width and then if the trailer is shorter than 33' in length.

C2E813B8-43DB-4130-AA35-ACD0A777C1D8.jpeg

54A1F962-32B7-4504-B2B7-A7CE8360C987.jpeg

If you select "no" to either it will tell you that "Trailer Blind Spot not operational above specified measurements. "

Otherwise it will then ask you for your trailer length. I've towed two different trailers, one 17' and the other 24' and the BSM seemed pretty accurate, but I still wouldn't solely rely on it and visually double check if possible.
4A42AE21-8223-4689-B777-2D01FD939962.jpeg

86AE3A95-83A3-4FD2-9458-AAA25546AC70.jpeg

42CAE1B2-BB6D-4275-B51A-4427944F2E9C.jpeg

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
What is the name of the controller you have, and is it simple to install. is there extra wiring to hook it up?
Pretty much any aftermarket brake controller that installs with the standard 4 wire brake controller wires will work on the Rangers. I personally use the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and my full install and write up is on the forum and I'll link it below. It comes with everything that you'll need to install and would take most people with basic installation skills less than an hour to install.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/

jhgr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Pretty much any aftermarket brake controller that installs with the standard 4 wire brake controller wires will work on the Rangers. I personally use the Redarc Tow Pro Elite and my full install and write up is on the forum and I'll link it below. It comes with everything that you'll need to install and would take most people with basic installation skills less than an hour to install.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/
Thanks for the info.

Cshep102

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat Fx4, 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, 2013 Ford Focus ST
I'll be pulling a wind sail (2008 Coachman Blast 150 toy hauler) which sits around 4500 LB loaded with all my camping gear. GVWR on that sucker is 7000 lb, but I've only ever loaded it up to the gills once while moving across town. I also tend to be on flat straight roads all the time with this thing, so hopefully no accidental steep grades are in my future.

2008_Coachmen_AdrenalineBlast.jpg

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I just bought a Keystone Outback Ultra-lite travel trailer that’s about 6k lbs. I go and get it Saturday, so we will see how that goes. I have to admit the pucker factor will be high until I get used to the new combo of smaller truck and trailer.
Also, I’m installing a Redarc elite trailer brake this evening (hopefully). My plan is to put my JD 2032 tractor on my 18’ trailer and do some driving before Saturday to get some towing time. I will update as I get more info.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought a Keystone Outback Ultra-lite travel trailer that’s about 6k lbs. I go and get it Saturday, so we will see how that goes. I have to admit the pucker factor will be high until I get used to the new combo of smaller truck and trailer.
You'll have more trouble with the windload than the 6000lbs. It will probably pull like it's not there until 45mph, then you'll begin to feel it a bit.

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
You'll have more trouble with the windload than the 6000lbs. It will probably pull like it's not there until 45mph, then you'll begin to feel it a bit.
Yeah, windload is always my concern. I’m a huge fan of pop-ups, since they fold so low for towing, BUT, I’m not the only one sleeping in the thing sooo I have a bigger trailer now. I’m a tent camper, the wife is thinks of a window faces the woods, then she is camping.
I will have to get used to traveling slow and steady

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I towed my wildwood with a Jeep Liberty for a few thousand miles. It was "Interesting" at or above 55mph... The truck will be a dream in comparison.
Sponsored