First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Hello all! Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there ? Figured, as a Dad myself, I could spend the day doing whatever I wanted! So here I am typing away at starting my own Ranger build thread to document the progress of my truck, and well, any damn thing else that tickles my fancy...although I will try to keep it clean, or somewhat clean anyway.

As I type away here in San Diego CA, I'm having a Salty Crew Blonde Ale from Coronado Brewing and listening to records...yes, I collect vinyl which is the best medium for music! If there are any other collectors feel free to drop in and post what you're listening to. I'm about 95% Metal :rockon: but open to all kinds of music...

Danzig.jpg

If you're bored already, scroll down a bit to jump into the additions and mods :fistbump:...

Before we jump into my mild truck build, first let me share my other car, a 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP, that I take to meets or drive whenever I need that manual transmission fix...or to keep my ego in check by getting made fun of for driving a Solstice. I aptly named it the "Silver Arrow". As you can see, there are a bunch of mods (Autocross style car) but meth injection may also be in the near future, we'll see...

IMG_0219.jpg
CA67041C-56A6-4BE3-BFDE-3CABDF396DA5.jpg
IMG_4199.jpg

Okay, now to the reason I'm here. To document "The Journey of Joi"...

After much thought I decided that "Joi" is an appropriate name for my Ranger. The name comes from one of my favorite movies, Blade Runner 2049 and K's beautiful companion...oh yes, I've been a "good Joe" :inlove:...

6e8d0bec0b9a00172d4885ed429808e2.gif

I purchased my 2021 Ford Ranger after trading in my 2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack (for more than I owed yay!). An odd tradeoff yes, but I was happy to obtain some utility and offload a car that drove my OCD crazy :headbang: Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful car but the payment, gas mileage (12 mpg), and me trying to keep it as pristine as possible drove me a little crazy. Here's a picture of "Beedeviled" in it's natural habitat:LOL:...

IMG_1777 (Edited).jpg
163910D2-DBF5-4352-ABAA-CB6B5554C457.jpg

Now, my initial plan was to buy the Ranger and be content with a stock truck with no plans to change anything, like a responsible adult. Am I right? Well, my maturity lasted all of a week before I started itching to change things and adding items and mods to the truck. Love the car and truck scene, so what the hell, changing things is what I do! Can't leave well enough alone...sorry dear, you married into this, and no, I'm not "addicted" to car parts and mods...

1624223297533.png

Here's picture of Joi when I first purchased her (shoutout to my fellow Cactus Gray folks!). A 2021 FX4 with all the bells and whistles (the rear window isn't powered? WTF Ford lol)…

IMG_5412.jpg
IMG_5517(Edited).jpg

So what's my vision, what direction will I take with the truck? Who knows, but I do have a loose idea of what I want to do. It won't be an overland build or some kind of rock crawler, although I will take some of that inspiration from folks here and your cool builds. I came up in a different scene so I'll let Joi speak to me and leverage my car/truck experiences be the guide...

D0E151E4-4FC7-4518-B813-274E03BEB0DE.jpg

Okay, okay, on to the changes! Here's a quick hit list of additions/"mods" to the truck thus far...

1.) Tinted front two windows to match rear (%? Whatever the rear is, 30%?),
2.) Bushwhacker rocker panel and door sill guard. Watching my daughter and wife drag their feet on the paint prompted this addition,
** Do plan to tint the windshield as well with 70% ceramic tint. This is something I've always done and highly recommend this if you live in a warm climate,
IMG_5533.jpg

3.) AutoStop Eliminator bypass,
4.) WeatherTech rubber floor mats,
5.) DeeZee tailgate dampener (don't hate, a precaution for my wife and daughter :bandit:),
6.) DashMat dash cover (suede), and,
7.) BuiltRight/RAM dash/phone mount (also routed cable through the dash),
8.) Sync screen protector (also recommend)
**No plans to mess with Forscan but my neighbor also has a '21 Ranger who is sharing his computer mods with me,
IMG_5609.jpg
IMG_0229(Edited).jpg

9.) Access Laredo tonneau cover (for some reason it was a pain in the a** to install, don't forget the shims dammit!),
10.)Ford rubber bed mat,
11.) Ford pivot storage box, and,
12.) BuiltRight bedside rack with molle storage bag and riser straps for fire extinguisher,
**No plans at this point to add anything else to the bed...for now anyway. Although, may add a topper at some point, we'll see,
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0228(Edited).jpg
IMG_0215.jpg

13.) WeatherTech wind deflectors,
14.) AVS hood Bugflector,
15.) Ford engine cover, and,
16.) CravenSpeed shorty antenna,
IMG_0230(Edited).jpg
IMG_0156.jpg

I'm going to leave it here for now but plan to follow up with another post detailing other plans that are more like mods than the additions added above. Things that are in the works now or future mods milling around in this head of mine :devil: You may have already spied something missing in one of the pictures above, a hint if you will. Hope to see you all here and don't be afraid to chime in or give me sh*t...talk Ranger, cars, music, or whatever. Always fun to engage in friendly banter :handshake:

BTW I return to work tomorrow after a nice vacation and I'm not sure I'm ready...but these mods don't pay for themselves! Cheers!

IMG_5489 (Edited).jpg
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I was breathing a little quicker and heavier before opening this thread. Was really worried about finding something else to buy. You almost got me with the bed molle rack. Nice post, enjoyed the read.
5dzv2j.jpg

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was breathing a little quicker and heavier before opening this thread. Was really worried about finding something else to buy. You almost got me with the bed molle rack. Nice post, enjoyed the read.
5dzv2j.jpg
Haha! there’ll be more mods coming so hopefully I can apply the peer pressure Mr. Anderson.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay folks. I've been wracking my brain on wheels. It is just CRAZY how hard it is to decide on a setup. I've figured out the size I want (20x10 -18 to -25 offset) and the finish (Gloss Black). Also know at these offset that I will more than likely be getting flares (not the large bolt style though) and making room in the wheel wells. Still debating on tire size/brand, 285-55 or 60, 275-55 or 60

Here are some of the wheels on my shortlist although I'm still researching these and others. Each have their plus and minuses but let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Left to right,
Anthem Equalizer (relatively new wheel that has a little more off-road look)
Arkon Davinci (newest wheel on the list and true directional)
Moto Metal 970 (elder statesman in the group but a proven style)
TIS 544 (this wheel may be a little played out but boy it looks awesome)
Vision Rocker (great looking wheel but may be too busy at this size)

AnthemEqualizer.jpg
ArkonDavinci.jpg
MotoMetal970.jpg
TIS544.jpg
VisionRocker.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Okay folks. I've been wracking my brain on wheels. It is just CRAZY how hard it is to decide on a setup. I've figured out the size I want (20x10 -18 to -25 offset) and the finish (Gloss Black). Also know at these offset that I will more than likely be getting flares (not the large bolt style though) and making room in the wheel wells. Still debating on tire size/brand, 285-55 or 60, 275-55 or 60

Here are some of the wheels on my shortlist although I'm still researching these and others. Each have their plus and minuses but let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Left to right,
Anthem Equalizer (relatively new wheel that has a little more off-road look)
Arkon Davinci (newest wheel on the list and true directional)
Moto Metal 970 (elder statesman in the group but a proven style)
TIS 544 (this wheel may be a little played out but boy it looks awesome)
Vision Rocker (great looking wheel but may be too busy at this size)

AnthemEqualizer.jpg
ArkonDavinci.jpg
MotoMetal970.jpg
TIS544.jpg
VisionRocker.jpg
I think it's funny how so many good looking wheels these days are modeled after the OG jdm models like Enkei and such. Time doesn't fade these popular looks apparently haha.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think it's funny how so many good looking wheels these days are modeled after the OG jdm models like Enkei and such. Time doesn't fade these popular looks apparently haha.
Very true! There is definitely a touch of jdm in a lot of wheels, and especially in the ones above. The ability to withstand the test of time is a major factor in my decision. Also trying to avoid a heavier wheel (i.e. over 35 lbs) and a wheel that is easier to clean. Example, the 970 is about 33lbs but the Rocker is pushing the scales around 40lbs. Still have the Rocker on the list though since the look is so on point, although it fails the easy to clean criteria as well.

Interesting that you mention Enkei. I have a set of VR8 wheels on my GXP. Awesome wheel.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Very true! There is definitely a touch of jdm in a lot of wheels, and especially in the ones above. The ability to withstand the test of time is a major factor in my decision. Also trying to avoid a heavier wheel (i.e. over 35 lbs) and a wheel that is easier to clean. Example, the 970 is about 33lbs but the Rocker is pushing the scales around 40lbs. Still have the Rocker on the list though since the look is so on point, although it fails the easy to clean criteria as well.

Interesting that you mention Enkei. I have a set of VR8 wheels on my GXP. Awesome wheel.
Such a good point to find similar weighted wheels, didn’t even think of that. Easy to clean is always best! I think that’s what made me fanboy and nostalgia pick enkei. The craze for RPF1… the craze for rsm9. All so easy to clean but looked so goooood. Too bad my teen years in my Mazda I could only envy those type of wheels. The vr8 looks like some real nice wheels, bet it compliments the GXP well.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Such a good point to find similar weighted wheels, didn’t even think of that. Easy to clean is always best! I think that’s what made me fanboy and nostalgia pick enkei. The craze for RPF1… the craze for rsm9. All so easy to clean but looked so goooood. Too bad my teen years in my Mazda I could only envy those type of wheels. The vr8 looks like some real nice wheels, bet it compliments the GXP well.
Thanks, I do like the simplicity of the VR8. Although, I was one click away from getting the RPF1. Such a badass wheel, but man is it popular. So I went with a model I don’t see all the time. Considering wheel weight has always been a thing for me. I get frustrated with sites (like Custom Offsets) that don’t list wheel weight. Apparently I’m in the minority. The stock Lariat wheel is ~35 lbs so I’m trying to stay at or below that weight.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Thanks, I do like the simplicity of the VR8. Although, I was one click away from getting the RPF1. Such a badass wheel, but man is it popular. So I went with a model I don’t see all the time. Considering wheel weight has always been a thing for me. I get frustrated with sites (like Custom Offsets) that don’t list wheel weight. Apparently I’m in the minority. The stock Lariat wheel is ~35 lbs so I’m trying to stay at or below that weight.
The one click away from purchasing something really nice we want never disappears as well :p Yeah the RPF1 is way too popular, even curb rashed ones were going for 150-200 back in the day haha. The vr8 is a very nice wheel, good choice for the GXP.

I also hate it when sites don't list all the specs, like what?! Good mention on the 35 lb weight, I will have to keep that in mind when or if I purchase new wheels. You definitely got me looking at some wheels now... Look what you've done!! :giggle: Do let us know what wheel you decide on, if you get beadlock type wheels where will you have it installed? I think I heard the major places like discount tire wont install beadlock type wheels. If I am understanding correctly, 1 and 3 wheel is beadlock? Not as many beadlocks as I am used to seeing though so trying to get clarification.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The one click away from purchasing something really nice we want never disappears as well :p Yeah the RPF1 is way too popular, even curb rashed ones were going for 150-200 back in the day haha. The vr8 is a very nice wheel, good choice for the GXP.

I also hate it when sites don't list all the specs, like what?! Good mention on the 35 lb weight, I will have to keep that in mind when or if I purchase new wheels. You definitely got me looking at some wheels now... Look what you've done!! :giggle: Do let us know what wheel you decide on, if you get beadlock type wheels where will you have it installed? I think I heard the major places like discount tire wont install beadlock type wheels. If I am understanding correctly, 1 and 3 wheel is beadlock? Not as many beadlocks as I am used to seeing though so trying to get clarification.
Exactly! RPF1 was a bit played out. Gotta put new shoes on! Haha! No beadlock on these wheels. They’re milled to look like it though. Honestly, it is one small stylistic thing I could do without but the Equalizer and 970 are sick with or without them. Still need to find the weight for the Davinci.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FYI, Anthem wheels offers a 15% military discount! That’s an awesome deal ??

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Exactly! RPF1 was a bit played out. Gotta put new shoes on! Haha! No beadlock on these wheels. They’re milled to look like it though. Honestly, it is one small stylistic thing I could do without but the Equalizer and 970 are sick with or without them. Still need to find the weight for the Davinci.
Oh interesting, milled to look like it. I don't mind "posing" at all if it looks good, but that's just me. I think they look like good wheels all around either way with or without like you said. Funnily enough I tried to help you look for the weight of the Davinci but it really isn't listed anywhere. Perhaps send an email to Arkon themselves to ask? If they don't respond, I would easily purchase a different wheel due to the poor customer support.

OP
OP
Joyride

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh interesting, milled to look like it. I don't mind "posing" at all if it looks good, but that's just me. I think they look like good wheels all around either way with or without like you said. Funnily enough I tried to help you look for the weight of the Davinci but it really isn't listed anywhere. Perhaps send an email to Arkon themselves to ask? If they don't respond, I would easily purchase a different wheel due to the poor customer support.
I don’t mind the milled “beadlock” look either. Appreciate you looking. I couldn’t find anything either, so email or call seems the way to go. I always think when a wheel company doesn’t list the weight that means it’s a heavy wheel. So we’ll see. Which wheel on that list do you like?
Sponsored