Personalized Hubcaps

shaketxavius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Paramedic
It's exactly what I've got in the title. I bought a set of wheels from a friend who had them for a Tacoma and sold the truck, but kept the wheels. I checked to see that they would fit and found that the only issue was the Hub Bore size. Easy enough fix with some Hubcentric rings! Out of curiosity I went and found a file for customizable rings and printed a set out of PLA for a test fit in the wheel. Fit like a glove

PXL_20210529_194319451.jpg

Picture of the wheels in question with the lightly used tires included
My only real gripe with the wheels was the center hubcap that stuck out so much. It's just ABS molded plastic held on by a couple of hex screws. Well, as I was playing around with the ring SCAD file, I found out that I could make it a sold disc. I also knew about a website that could take SVG files and convert them into STLs that I can print with. So what do I do? I decide to make some nice Ford branded hubcaps for myself!

I created the SVG of the ford logo roughly styled after the Raptor wheels and then combined it with the STL of the disc that I made playing with the hubcentric ring SCAD file. and I got this:

1624152000137.png

This was great, so I went ahead and printed a test fit version with PLA and I really like how they looked. I've included a before and after with the test fit:

PXL_20210619_184637322.jpg
PXL_20210619_184644046.jpg

The disc fits so snugly that to get it in I actually had to use a mallet. It's actually pretty tough to get out of the center

For fun I took my touch up pen that I plan on using at some point to fix some paint chips and painted the ford logo the same color as the truck quick and dirty and I think I've decided that's what the final product is going to look like:

PXL_20210619_224217385.jpg

Currently printing the first of 4 of these out of PETG which I will then sand down, prime, paint black with automotive pain and then paint the letters this blue. Apply a clear coat and then get them in the wheels! Currently streaming the printing on my Twitch (shameless plug) username ShaketXavius.

The wheels are going to go on when I get my coilovers installed. Still have to grab some, but I figure just get the suspension done and then since I'm going to need an alignment anyways, might as well grab the new tires and wheels and have it all done at the same time.

First thing was obviously the Raptor grille: because rule of cool. I then had a a Thule Rack but on the roof. I chose the roof simply for cost reasons. The bed rack systems while cool are so incredibly expensive I couldn't justify it. I only have the bars for my kayak, and I don't use it often enough for that price. In place of bed racks, I put a nice inexpensive and easily removed tonneau cover. I also got the bed Line-X'd.

Most recently, I put in the Alpha Rex LUXX Alpha Black headlights. I love them, but they were a massive pain to install. The wiring on the DRL for those is clunky for someone like me who doesn't have an auxiliary fuse box. Finally and most recently, I put the Morimoto LED Sidemarkers in. I love the look of LED lights all over the truck. Pretty sure the only non-LED lights I have now are the cargo lights and the license plate lights. Eventually, but not high on the to-do list.

75372334_577801219797567_5597954952411990348_n_17856218051065352.jpg

IMG_20200905_143856.jpg

PXL_20210224_205624139.jpg

PXL_20210320_183900942.jpg
PXL_20210525_173540369.jpg

I may add to this at some point or just rename it (if that's possible?). I don't know yet, but I do know I'll at least update it with the finished product of the hubcaps.
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Great minds think alike !!! Excellent color choice too !! I had a guy print out "RANGER" in ABS since my center caps were ABS, made up some ABS glue with acetone and some ABS chips and glued them down. A little primer and paint, and viola !!

Center cap installed.jpg

OP
OP
shaketxavius

shaketxavius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Paramedic
Great minds think alike !!! Excellent color choice too !! I had a guy print out "RANGER" in ABS since my center caps were ABS, made up some ABS glue with acetone and some ABS chips and glued them down. A little primer and paint, and viola !!

Center cap installed.jpg
Looks great! I thought about putting ranger, but ended up going with Ford just because. Luckily it's going to be a little while before I get the new suspension/tires so I have the time to print these out. They're entire caps so take a little while and I only have room for one at a time on the print bed.

OP
OP
shaketxavius

shaketxavius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Paramedic
Just a quick update on this. I'm not going at breakneck speeds for sure, combination of work and 11.5 hour printing time for each cover will do that though. I've printed 2 so far and am working on the third. The first one is drying after it was painted in glossy black enamel. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the gloss color, and have picked up some satin, flat, and semi gloss paint and am testing them a bit. Probably going to go with flat or satin and just print a fifth cover. I'm going to finish this one up completely with the blue lettering and clear coat first and see how it looks first though.

Here's some pictures of the printing, a primed cap, and the gloss painted cap.

PXL_20210622_171747181.jpg
PXL_20210622_171639832.jpg
PXL_20210622_171833702.jpg
Sponsored