LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
After a cold start while idling my engine appears to have a rough idle, I can feel it in the cab. It's kind of like a rumble/shake. It's not constant, but it is frequent. It's not making a noticeable noise or rpm fluctuation. I'm wondering if anyone is feeling this or if I'm just being overly paranoid. Currently 450 Miles on the odo. Running 91 octane.
Sponsored

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
After a cold start while idling my engine appears to have a rough idle, I can feel it in the cab. It's kind of like a rumble/shake. It's not constant, but it is frequent. It's not making a noticeable noise or rpm fluctuation. I'm wondering if anyone is feeling this or if I'm just being overly paranoid. Currently 450 Miles on the odo. Running 91 octane.
No sweet smelling exhaust fumes on startup are there?

Focus RS Headgasket all over again if so

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
No, nothing out of the ordinary aside from the rumbling. :inspect:
What's your production date? There is a TSB (TSB 19-2052) on certain early production Rangers. It specifically mentions rough idle cold starts as one of the issues. I will see if I can get a copy of it....

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly haven't paid attention I guess, but with the TSB being a thing, I definitely will in a bit when I head home from work.

earsmccoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Screw XLT FX4 Sport Package & 2016 F-150 Super Crew FX4
Yeah, my build date is 12/18 :crying:
Should be an easy fix, take it to the dealer and ask them to reprogram it in accordance to that tsb and you should be good to go. I have noticed some harsh shifts and what I thought was a slight rough idle so I am going to have them reprogram mine under warranty at my first oil change.

OP
OP
LightningBlue

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Should be an easy fix, take it to the dealer and ask them to reprogram it in accordance to that tsb and you should be good to go. I have noticed some harsh shifts and what I thought was a slight rough idle so I am going to have them reprogram mine under warranty at my first oil change.
I just figured out that I have one of only a few members with their Ranger being built in 2018. Kinda cool, I hate to be the guinea pig though lol

Last edited:

Gary Marquard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Manager Cleveland Truck Repair
Just picked up my 2019 Ranger idle surging, and engine revving by it self, cold start up and in gear idle runs 1000-1500 surge, now have 100 mi. and coming off highway ramp engine rpm went to 6000 rpm slipped in to neutral and goosed the pedal, and it calmed down but i didn't, going to dealer. View attachment 20671

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just picked up my 2019 Ranger idle surging, and engine revving by it self, cold start up and in gear idle runs 1000-1500 surge, now have 100 mi. and coming off highway ramp engine rpm went to 6000 rpm slipped in to neutral and goosed the pedal, and it calmed down but i didn't, going to dealer. View attachment 20671
Sounds like it should be looked at. On rare occasions, mine will rev the engine up to 2000-3000 RPM or so for a few seconds when I put it into neutral, but it's been so seldom I haven't worried about it yet. I'll be curious what they find out with yours in case mine is just a less serious version of the same issue.

Caluke

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Automotive tech
My truck has a small miss on cold start. Definitely noticeable if I put it into gear right away. Need to take it to the dealer for reflash just haven’t had the time. I just remote start it and let it drop off high idle for now lol.
Sponsored