Not a tire kowledgeable person and could use some help

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have on order a Lariat with the FX4 and Sport appearance package. According to the "build your own Ranger" site, the Lariat tires that are standard using this combination are listed as 17" Off Road OWL tires. I just got my window sticker and somehow I am being charged $175 for the optional tire LT265/65/R17 A/T OWL tires. Before calling my dealer (who has been excellent by the way) and asking about how these ire were added t my order, what is the difference between the two. I wanted the 17" rims with white letters showing and both of these tires meet this. I also do very little off roading (maybe 20 - 40 off pavement trips/year mostly on two path trails and lots f driving on lakes to ice fish). My primary interest in the tire I want for the Ranger is a nice quiet, smooth ride. Which one of the above will fit this primary need I have?

Thank you -

Mark
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
LT Tires are Light Truck meaning they are probably a 6 ply or 10 ply (I don't know in this case). They will be a bit stiffer. I don't even know what ones I have, but if you are planning on Towing, I'd be cool with keeping the LT tires. If not, you might be better off with regular ones. That said, it's probably not going to make much of a difference, and it's likely too late for you to do anything about it.

OP
OP

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Thanks for the info. I do tow but nothing outrageous. I have a 3500lb boat that gets towed a total of 10 miles/year (could go to 250 miles this year), I tow a 14' aluminum duckb oat that weighs nothing and a Yakima trailer that at the most would be 500lbs trailer plus whatever it on the trailer.

I don't want to make a stink at the dealer as I did not order these tires. My first order I made a big mistake and only realized it when I could track my order and had a build date. I asked the dealer to do al they could to get my order changed and they were able to do something to make it happen. I was told I was fortunate that they got this done for me.

I don't want to bother the dealer on this ire issue but I didn't order them, it's $175 more, and it may be a tire that would have a stiffer tire than I was looking for.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks again for the info.

Mark

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They likely traded one of their allocations for what you ordered, and it just happened to have the LT tires. I doubt it will be super evident, you can just run them at 33psi instead of 35... The FX4 is from what I hear much bouncier than the non-FX4 anyways, so you'll likely see no difference.

My dad has a Lariat and I have an XLT FX4, I've yet to drive his though, so I can't confirm.

Could post a Want to trade in the marketplace and just even swap with someone who has the regular Dynapro ATM's.

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
They likely traded one of their allocations for what you ordered, and it just happened to have the LT tires. I doubt it will be super evident, you can just run them at 33psi instead of 35... The FX4 is from what I hear much bouncier than the non-FX4 anyways, so you'll likely see no difference.

My dad has a Lariat and I have an XLT FX4, I've yet to drive his though, so I can't confirm.

Could post a Want to trade in the marketplace and just even swap with someone who has the regular Dynapro ATM's.
My Lariat was very smooth and not "truck rough" at all with those soft Hancock tires (265/65/17) that came on it. They are like all dealer tires, made to improve the ride so folks like it on a test drive. One thing to be aware of that I didn't know until I was looking at the tires during a lift install was that the sidewalls on the Hancock are only 2 ply, so watch curbs or rubbing against anything while off the pavement. I have been running 10 ply falkens for a few years on the truck I traded and hope to get a set on my Ranger before too long, as soon as I figure out which wheels to buy so it sits like I want. Choosing wheels involves chinese arithmetic it seems.
Stay safe

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yuck, 2 Ply sidewall... I guess I'll need some tires like the ZR2 has before too long. I hope they tow decently...
Sponsored